1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Bozeman Uprising

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Putts, Sep 10, 2008.

1. mrmushman

mrmushman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Might have to put the battery back in the bike for a couple of rides friday and saturday! Weather looks decent!
  2. mrmushman

mrmushman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Winter solstice ride-

IMG_20191221_120814_01.jpg
  3. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice! Seen a few motos out in this weather.
  4. Sage59741

Sage59741 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    mrmushman the bike looks great, wish I could've gone with you on that ride. How does it run compared to your 250?
    bozmotodual16 likes this.
  5. mrmushman

mrmushman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ken,
    She's a beaut! Quicker, better sprung, geometry. Very happy! I got a Hardcore Soft Rack from Green Chile Adv I'm going to fit on the bike today. always up for a ride!

Happy Holidays to you all!

Steve
    jonz and bozmotodual16 like this.
  6. txboynmt

txboynmt n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone. My name’s Wes and I’m new here in the forum. I have lived in Bozeman for about 4 years now. My family and I relocated here from East Texas for my job. Anyway, I’m currently riding a KTM 790 Adventure that I bought back in July. I’ve put about 3500 miles on it, mostly on tarmac. I am really looking to up my off road game this next riding season. I did a little riding up Little Bear back in the summer but I’d love to meet some folks and learn from you all and figure out the lay of the land here as it pertains to off-road riding. I’m still a beginner when it comes to off road riding. Looking forward to chatting with you all! Cheers.

Attached Files:

bozmotodual16 and mrmushman like this.
  7. mrmushman

mrmushman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice bike txboymt! I'm waiting for spring too. No expert here but glad to go riding.
    txboynmt likes this.
  8. TortillaJesus

TortillaJesus Cockbag

Oddometer:
    Hi Wes!

Loren here. Glad you were able to find the forum. Let me know when you want to ride. You know my number at BPM!
    txboynmt likes this.
  9. txboynmt

txboynmt n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey man! Thanks for pointing me here. We will definitely have to do some riding come spring.
  10. txboynmt

txboynmt n00b

Oddometer:
    Absolutely!
  11. bozmotodual16

Oddometer:
    Welcome! I can do some dirt but like to mix it up with forest roads and long rides to get lunch. Looking forward to next summer too!
    mrmushman and txboynmt like this.
  12. txboynmt

txboynmt n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey bozmotodual16, sounds great!
  13. bozmotodual16

Oddometer:
    Jeez. 60F on Feb 1. Hate this, love winter! Seeing bikes out had me thinking though. Been researching Adv/dual sport tires. Looking for 50/50, do a bit more blacktop than dirt. Replacing Heidenaus which I have liked, and thinking about MotoZ tractionator gps but see threads on cracking issues. Dunlop Missions? Mitos 07+? What are other Bozone folks using?
  14. mrmushman

mrmushman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    People like the Mitas E07. I like the Michelin Anakee Wild and AC10. Kenda k270, Shinko 244 and IRC GP-1. I also like the IRC GP-110.

I will get one of these when my stock Bridgestones wear out. I ride about 50-50.

Went for a short ride today.
  15. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    For the 1290, I've settled on the Michelin Anakee Wilds, both front and rear. Side knob traction is good on pavement and great on dirt especially when climbing out of a rut or riding across sidehills. I'll get over 3000 miles (probably close to 4000) out of the rear which is okay. It whines on pavement. I've tried the rear Heidenau and wasn't happy with the traction. I tried front and rear TKC 80's which were okay but the rear wore out quicker than the Wild and the front was too cupped by 2000 miles. I haven't tried the new Bridgestone AX41 but it looks interesting as the knob shape is similar to the Wilds. On my dearly departed 950SE, I liked the regular MotoZ Tractionator - great dirt traction and adequate paved traction though it howled more and more as it wore.
    bozmotodual16 and mrmushman like this.
  16. bozmotodual16

Oddometer:
    Thanks you guys- very helpful. So sounds like both of you do more dirt than pavement? Those tires are more on the knobby side than I'm used to but if steady at highway speed I reckon that doesn't matter. Just faster wear. I've had the k60s on two bikes now and actually thought the traction was ok. After going over Rogers's Pass last spring at 35F and sleet and snow I trusted them. The GPS seem very similar but sounds like there is a break in period. I'll give the Wilds another look. Keep the suggestions coming!
  17. mrmushman

mrmushman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    K60's are pretty decent I'd say.
  18. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I don't ride more dirt than pavement on the 1290 but I value dirt performance more than pavement performance. The 1290 came with Continental Trail Attacks which were great street tires but pretty worthless on anything more sketchy than hard pack dirt. TKC 70 was the same. If I want the 1290 to be ready for dirt and sand, I'll keep the Wilds on. If I schedule a long primarily paved ride, I'll switch to something like the Trail Attacks or the TKC70. I still have a Heidenau rear which I'll probably re mount when the current Wild rear wears out. The Heidenau does wear great - I have a friend with a 1200GS that gets over 10,000 miles out of a rear. But he got stuck 3 times on SoCal BDR sandy sections while running less pressure than me. Someone mentioned the Kenda 270 - I really liked that front tire on my 640 Adventure and KLR650, and it was cheap. The rear was just okay at the beginning of it's tire life and got worse as it wore. My favorite rear was the Dunlop 908 on both the 640 and 950 but holy guacamole did the price skyrocket when I last checked several years ago - well north of $200 for a rear. On my 950SE, I pretty much adopted the Pirelli MT21 as my front.
  19. txboynmt

txboynmt n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey there. I ride a 790 Adventure... more pavement than offroad but still enjoy the dirt. My bike came stock with the Avon Trailriders and to be honest with you they have actually been pretty great. 3700 miles on them so far. Great on pavement and also really solid in gravel/dirt roads.
  20. Mondo-Hondo

Mondo-Hondo Delusional, but very excited

Oddometer:
    Hi. If anyone in the general Bozeman area would be interested in planning some multi-day dual sport rides over beers I'm looking for folks to ride with. Planning on putting together some utah routes, a Baja trip, and maybe do the NVBDR before the next winter. I'm on a 500 EXC and am looking for people that like long, dirt-centric routes.

Attached Files:

Jive and bozmotodual16 like this.