Bozeman Uprising

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Putts, Sep 10, 2008.

1. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I'll be back up in Montana on July 8. Anyone want to get together after that to ride the trail and do some log cutting? I got the Ryobi e chainsaw and plan to pick up the EE mount from Rocky Mtn ATV on my way back up. I'm available any day of the week since I'm retired so if we could get more people on a weekend day, that would be okay. Just as an fyi, bring mosquito repellent
  2. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    Just put in an order for the EE mount myself, it'll probably be here mid-next week I'm thinking. I'm also a "gentleman of leisure" so could do a weekday as well as weekend too. It is a 200 mi. trip down there for me and it looks like I could overnight in the camper at the staging area on the other side of the bridge.

I'll stay tuned for developments ...

Good sweaty sawdust to ya!
    jonz likes this.
  3. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
  4. Fro_911

Fro_911 Slammer of revolving doors

Oddometer:
    I'm over in Dillon, but would be game to load up and come help. I've never been on that trail, but if it's wide enough I can bring my SxS and my 530.... SxS is nice for carrying saws, fuel, cooler, etc. Like Olde Phart, I could just sleep in the enclosed trailer near the trail head. I'm good for weekdays or weekends... I'll keep an eye on this thread for schedule ideas.
  5. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    My handy-dandy EE chainsaw mount arrived and I got it buttoned up to the CRF250X real nice!

I removed the headlight, odometer and brake line guides, got 'er positioned, tightened up the mounting blocks, put the straps on, cinched 'em up and that was it (I did add a zip tie to keep the surplus strapping from flopping around and an extra bungee across the top to hold it nice 'n tight):

IMG_20200706_140454.jpg IMG_20200706_140516.jpg IMG_20200706_140506.jpg IMG_20200706_140541.jpg IMG_20200706_140640.jpg IMG_20200706_140658.jpg IMG_20200706_140816.jpg

It sits solid as a rock on there ... I'm ready, willing and able to go do some trail clearing!! :thumbup

Good singletrack sweat equity to ya!
    philthyphil and jonz like this.
  6. jonz

Oddometer:
    I picked up my EE Chainsaw rack last week. Installed and tested today above Hebgen Lake.

[​IMG]

Works good. Who wants to go clear some trail?
    pratered likes this.
  7. jonz

Oddometer:
    Spectacular day on the Gold Butte/Gazelle Creek trails in the Beaverhead Deerlodge National Forest. Someone else has been doing a fair amount of trail clearing in the last few weeks leaving only a few downed trees for me to clear. Which was good because the Ryobi 18V e chainsaw had some kind of internal protection circuit which shuts it down after a minute or so of continuous use. The re set takes a few minutes. I had planned on just riding/clearing the lower sections but since it was so clear, I rode the whole thing bottom to top. Then rode down Standard Creek Rd.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the now the easiest single track I've ridden in the area - I'd rate it as medium difficulty. No super tough climbs or switchbacks. Route finding can still be challenging in spots and there is some side hill exposure.

The fun single track in Custer Gallatin NF is now open. Who wants to ride???
    icebox, WoodrowBDR and Olde Phart like this.
  8. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    The date is set for the Lookout Lookout!! ride I would like to host out of Lincoln, MT ... August 1/2 with rain date August 8/9.

Day 1, Saturday, will be big bike friendly featuring the scenic route (dirt) from Lincoln to Morrell Moutain Lookout, then a mix of pavement/dirt including Dalton Mountain to Stemple Pass and on to Granite Butte. Return to Lincoln is routed via Marsh Creek down to Canyon Creek with a spirited return over Flesher Pass. Estimated mileage is ~300 mi. Plan is to gather at the Montanan for breakfast @ 9:00am with kickstands up @ 10:00am (this will give Missoula/Helena folks time to make it to Lincoln with a 7:30am-ish start.

Day 2, Sunday, will be more dual-sport oriented with rides up to the top of Stonewall, then on to Copper Creek followed by taking Hogum Creek up to Stemple Pass and back to Lincoln. Estimated mileage is less than 100 mi. For this ride, we'll breakfast at the Bootlegger @ 9:00am with kickstands up @ 10:00am and the ride will completed by 4:00pm-ish for folks to head back home with plenty of daylight left.

For those that would like to come up a day ahead with trailers, campers, tents, etc., I have lots of space at my place and all are welcome. I have a fresh keg of Moose Drool that I just tapped and beer will flow ...

PM for more details/questions. Let's ride!!

Good Big Sky adventuring to ya!
    cwegga likes this.
  9. Fro_911

Oddometer:
    I want to ride!

Sorry for the late response. I'll be out of town until next week, but I'd love to meet up for some throttle therapy!

Olde Phart, I'll see if I can juggle the schedule and make it up for the Lookout, Lookout ride.
  10. julian999

julian999 Live to ride!

Oddometer:
    Curious if anyone has ridden the Bridger Foothills trail? Looks like you can start in Middle Cottonwood trail.

How gnarly is it? Scale from 1-10.
  11. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    So far it is a group of 3 riders (you know who you are) for this ride ... last call will be end of business day Wednesday to let me know if you're "in" ...

Weather looks to be fabulous and the riding will be even better. Ping me if you'd like to join and gimme a hint on what kind of wheels you'll be on so I can tailor the route for best enjoyment.

Good adventurin' to ya!
  12. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    At the super 8 in Bozeman. Tonight dropping the little lady off at airport 10ish am tomorrow anybody want meet for a beer tonight or tomorrow

Yea yea I know short notice :lol3
  13. jonz

Oddometer:
    Rode over 100 miles of dirt yesterday. Started at Hwy 20 and Red Rock Rd near Henry's Lake and rode the CDR over Red Rock Pass, passed Elk Lake and rode scenic single track up into the Gravelly's, took Standard Creek Rd to the single track I supplied the track to a page or so back, took Gravelly Mtn Rd (FS 290) south from Black Butte down to North Side Rd (least sand I've seen there, and back over Red Rock Pass to the start. I ended up running out of gas but was carrying 1.5l which JUST BARELY got me back (with lots of downhill coasting) to a gas station in Island Park. I ran out of gas because I have a 2.2 gallon stock tank and after getting home, my track showed over 100 dirt (s)miles. After the 1.5l, I added 2.1 gallons when I got to the gas station. Hmmm, I think I'll carry a second 1.5l gas can next time. Just as an fyi, Beaverhead Deerlogde NF MVUMs are out of date but I see some future possible improvements if I can just find the trails listed.

Let's ride!!!

edit: lunch stop photo near Black Butte
    [​IMG]
  14. bennyc767

bennyc767 '14 KTM 1190 Adventure

Oddometer:
    Just saw this, wish I would have seen it Friday. Hope you enjoyed your time in Bozangeles.
  15. Fro_911

Oddometer:
    Here is a video of Bridger Trail posted to YouTube last month. I haven't ridden it, and it's not my video, but it looks like fun!

julian999 and jonz like this.
  16. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

i did, thx

maybe next time :beer