Brainerd Lakes Area Dual Sport Ride (MN)

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by toadl, Jul 24, 2011.

1. toadl

toadl Long timer

Oddometer:
    What
    An awesome fall adventure ride through some of Minnesota's best State Forest (Foothills, Paul Bunyan, and others) and some county trails and roads. Also a good weekend for stories and laughs with other motorcyclist. Huntersville is now out, because, as Bike4ever mentioned, there is a horse event that weekend.

When
    September 16th-18th, 2011

Where
    15 miles north of Brainerd just outside of Nisswa on the upper Gull Lake Chain Of Lakes.
    Most of the trails in the area are hard pack dirt and rocks (not boulders) with some water puddles. Mud in the less ridden areas. There are also some nice curvey back roads.
    We will be staying at my cabin (I will send a personnal message to everyone coming with the address). There is water and electricity but limited sleeping. So If you want to sleep in a tent that's best, or you can sleep on a bed but space is limited (bring your own bedding or sleeping bag).

The Agenda
    To be decided, but mostly a lot of riding, a campfire, maybe a little fishing if you need variety (there is a canoe and rowboat that anyone can use. I also have thought about a mini Hare Scramble event on a trail I have on a couple acres. Should be good for some laughs.
    I went on the North Shore Shindig, and I like how things went on that trip. We will plan for a long ride on Saturday and shorter rides on Friday and maybe Sunday. I hope all sorts of people come with all sorts of bikes. Some people may want to ride fast on single track, and its cool if some just want to ride some of the scenic roads. I have some good route ideas but anything could change and all ideas are welcome. We will ride in groups so if you don't know anyone feel free to come and you won't have to ride alone.

Rules
    1. No entry fee
    2. No sound checks
    3. No registration dead lines
    4. No refunds
    5 No stupid rules
    6. Unfortunately no free T-shirts

Food
    Friday night hamburgers, jello, and chips
    Saturday Breakfast Pancakes and blueberry Pancakes with real maple syrup
    Saturday Supper Spagetti and garlic bread
    Sunday Breakfast Rolls and eggs and everything else we need to eat up.
    any volunteers for napkins, , fruit, coffee (I don't drink although there is a coffee maker) paper plates (unless we want to was dishes, which is cool if you like), , does anyone know how to make good garlic bread, or anything else that is good.

The Who's Ready to Ride List:
    1. Toadl
    2. c-zulu (Saturday)
    3. older-not-wiser
    4. Ride-Tell-Sore
    5. Gravy (although he is going to back out at the last minute)
    6. biker4ever
    7. mrs. biker4ever
    8. millesecond (95% sure)
    9. Jachack (Saturday)
    10. JonnieWalker
    11. Homefire
    12. toddelof
    13. m-bone
    The Who's Considering Riding List:
    2. streeter
    3. eram310
    4. Judjonzz

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. rallyhound

rallyhound Macho stud guy

Oddometer:
    And if you made it the following weekend we could catch the flat track national in Brainerd on saturday night.
  3. toadl

toadl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just do both. You need to make the flat track national an all day event, and I hope to be too sore and hurt after Saturday to do anything but _______.
  4. toadl

toadl Long timer

Oddometer:
    For a possible Saturday route I like hooking up with the TMAT Foothills section and go all the way up to Paul Bunyan State Forest. There are some great trails there. I know some county snowmobile trails, logging trails, and dirt roads we can take from Nisswa to the bottom of Foothills State Forest. A person could spend all day exporing in these two state forest. My experience is farther north you go the fewer 4-wheelers you see. We could race through them and try to go through Two Inlets State Forest, Smokey Hills, Huntersville, and Lyons. I've never been to these, except Huntersville (Huntersville has a lot of tight single track through the woods, requires your attention), and don't know what they have to offer. I doubt they have as much as Paul Bunyan and Foothills, but I like exploring. I guess we also have to figure out gas and eating:freaky. We could just ride the TMAT all the way to Bemidji and have a late lunch. Any suggestions or opinions.
  5. Ride-til-sore!

Ride-til-sore! still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer:
    I have hunted, 4 wheeled and snowmobiled the Paul Bunyan for about the last 35 years so I know it like the back of my hand. One place to stop to eat there is the Stomping Grounds bar & campgrounds which is right in the woods up there off of hwy 64. You could almost spend a good part of the day just riding around the the PB. But haven't been to the other places you have talked about so if I can make it I would try any of them. We need to get some more people talking on this post! :ear
  6. toadl

toadl Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is some chatter about this event from Minnesota Adventure Riders and Twin Cities Dual Sport Riders. I have links there to this sight. People are checking out the Thread. It is only two days old. A lot of people have experiences riding in this area. I'm excited to hear some stories and suggestions.:D
  7. *Gravy*

*Gravy* Jedi Loser

Oddometer:
    Adding this to the list of shit I say I'm doing then back out of at the last second :freaky

Looks like a great time!
  8. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a blast.
  9. toadl

toadl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does that mean we can count you in or are you commiting to maybe we can count you in?:huh I hear you saying that your going to do it. So I'll add you to the list of people who are bonded and committed to going, and we will wait with anticipation for you to back out.
  10. *Gravy*

*Gravy* Jedi Loser

Oddometer:
    Let's call it a bump and a hope. Since the kids'll be back in school the likelihood I'll be able to attend increases. To early to commit though.
  11. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    This sounds like fun, but since school will be back in, it will be tough for me to get away on Friday. Still, I will watch this spot, and if things break right, will try to come up.
  12. toadl

toadl Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you woke up at 4:18 this morning and left a post, I'm sure you could make it there Saturday before we left for a ride. If you were up until 4:18 this morning, traffic is not very heavy between 8PM and 4AM. Looking at your profile, the biggest decision might be which bike (DRZ400E,KLR650,LC4 Adv,DR650,57 TBird, R100s,R75/5,V50 Monza,R60,more ).
    Is your avatar giving me the one finger salute or is that a bugger?
  13. KSH

KSH LurKer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This looks interesting.
    Friday is out for me, but if there is any interest in running gravel to the East into Aitkin county on Saturday, I could be a guide.
  14. biker4ever

biker4ever Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    we live 5 miles south of Akeley and the paul bunyan trails, it would be a great place to have an event like this. we have plenty of room for camping, tools and shop for repairs. my wife and i would like to attend and help out in what ever way is needed.:clap Thumbs up for the stomping grounds , we have eaten there many times. good food good people.
  15. Jakhack

Jakhack Jakhack

Oddometer:
    I will try to make it on Friday or Saturday and will bring my tent cot, so I do not need inside space. This will all depend upon the social committee at home, and whether she decides there are grown children that need harassing or grandchildren to spoil... some more. But, if I am able to make it, I will stick it out and stay to help clean up on Sunday. On that score, I have been well trained in the clean-up duties.

I expect to ride my 200cc china bike which is a "dual sport", but it has street tires and I am not a dirt guy, so I will have to stick to tar or gravel back roads or pretty tame trails. I hope you have some other riders like that. I would be happy to bring whatever food or supplies you may need.

The pic below is from my spring ride to the Nimrod area near south of Huntersville, where I used to deer hunt. I am somewhat familiar with the area and live in Brainerd so can provide other support if needed. Where are you located?

Attached Files:

16. toadl

toadl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't even know how to comment on all the work you've done to that bike, but I like it. I hope you bring the trailer. Most of the trails in the area don't require knobby tires. If you could handle the Nemidji area you should be okay.
  17. Ride-til-sore!

Ride-til-sore! still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer:
    Jachack, that is one cool trailer! :wink: How does it pull down the road and how fast have you got it up to speed wise? If you pull it down the road do you have to get it Lic? Or do you just use it in the woods when you trailer the bike there? Hope to take a look at that if I can make the ride.
  18. biker4ever

Oddometer:
    That weekend is not a good weekend to be riding the trails around Huntersville. There will be a horse trail ride going on that weekend. It is a large one and has been the 3rd weekend in Sept for many years. I (Mrs biker4ever) also do not do much dirt riding (have not been on trails, only dirt roads) so will be slower than most.
  19. toadl

toadl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I completely forgot about the Horse riding at Huntersville. I'm glad you mentioned it. That is a huge event. There is still a lot of areas to ride. Foothills is kind of a long ride to get too anyway. I wasn't sure if anyone wanted to put in 160 miles in one day anyway. I know some people will not want to ride a lot of technical stuff. Foothills and Paul Bunyan State Forest have main trails and roads that go through their centers. The main Trails are like single lane driveways in width and are a hard packed surface. You can pretty much sit on your seat the whole time. Sometimes after a rain there are water puddles, but they are not mud. Unless you venture of the main trails, then Foothills can be a nightmare from the 4-wheeler. The second picture I have in the intro is the most difficult the main trails get. I've seen Subaru's on the roads. They are just gravel. In September the State Forest are just a beautiful ride. It's silly not to take the time to enjoy it.

Ride-Tell-Sore, are you planning to make it now that you know deer hunting is not that weekend?:ddog

I can ride fast or slow, although I'm not Ricky Carmichael. I would like to do some fast riding but don't need to spend the whole day or weekend racing. I think it would be fun to start Saturday out with a large group ride and then divide up with how people want to ride or which direction they want to go. How do other people want to ride, places people, or terrian? I was hoping for variety within the group so no one is pressured into doing something they don't want to.
  20. biker4ever

Oddometer:
    I know Lance will like the fast riding. He grew up riding the trails in Huntersville. I grew up riding the trails of Huntersville on horse. I am new to the dirt. I always ride and drive with what I am comfortable doing so it does not matter to me how fast others go. I just mentioned being slow in case others are to and would like someone to ride with. I think everyone should ride their ability and have a great time. Paul Bunyan trails are great for all skill levels.