Brake Pedal Extension Project

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by mork, Jul 20, 2020.

1. mork

mork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve been shopping around for a brake pedal extension for my 2011 F800GS, and striking out. When standing with proper boots, I’m finding the rear brake to be a complete guessing game. This unsettles me as we have steep terrain full of baby heads and loose downhill sections here in CO. When I need my rear brake, I want it right now and don’t enjoy hunting for it.

I’ve seen the Alt Rider dual platform thing, and while I see the appeal, two reasons I’m not buying it are:

1. The bike is being ridden aggressively off road - that means the occasional dirt nap and I don’t like the idea of a non-folding rock anchor and clutch cover oil drain.
    2. The problem is the height and “findability” when standing. A little baby ledge for the standing position is unacceptable.

Being handy with the wrong tool for the job, I found a length of 1/4” aluminum and my trusty grinder.

Rough cuts are in:
    93565E7E-3C60-4349-B101-3EECE0D65FED.jpeg
    I am particularly proud of that notch.
  2. mork

mork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Progress from this morning: drilled mud drain holes, countersunk holes for M6 screws, and properly angled and tapped holes for a M6 helicoil on the lower mounting pad.

The pilot holes are in for the pedal cleats - I’m just waiting for the small M4 tap to arrive.

A0FFBAF0-255B-49A8-BE63-722BFC0D3ED0.jpeg
    nvklr likes this.
  3. mork

mork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I could add in a provision for a brush wire cable thing that I have leftover from my 300’s skid plate. Anyone have any issues with crap wedging between the pedal and frame where it could be useful?
  4. mork

mork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Done! Testing scheduled with some trail/canyon riding this weekend.

78726FA8-C11B-4519-B3BC-438EC8291BBD.jpeg
    dpike, ROMAD, Loutre and 1 other person like this.
  5. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks great! Nice work!
  6. erburtt

erburtt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Off topic, but do I see a wrapped header there? I always thought that made things more prone to rust as it holds moisture
  7. mork

mork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, thought about that. I could see it being an issue when washing the bike if it does not get ridden after leaving moisture in there. I figure that these evaporate so quickly, it might be a non issue especially with stainless pipes. I am more concerned about the heat soak to the stator. (Even after upgrading the RR - better safe than sorry)

If I am mistaken, please correct me. I’ve been known to be wrong on the rare occasion.
  8. Duitser

Duitser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I fitted a small plate between the pipe and engine where the crashbar fits to the engine to stop the heat going up to the stator especially when stopping and standig stil. Right at the engine nr.
  9. mork

mork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm... I do have some 3” 304 stainless exhaust piping leftover. Would be easy enough to cut some mounting tabs. I’ll have to do some more research on corrosion and the wrap with stainless.

Although, I hate rattles, and if I have learned anything from years of listening to Click and Clack, heat shields are always the source of a racket.
  10. mork

mork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Worked perfect. I’d still like some more height when standing, but as is, it’s still comfortable on road sitting and gives just a bit more feel and confidence in the brake pedal when up on the pegs.

And we absolutely flogged it yesterday. Canyon roads, mountain passes, and the steepest decent I’ve taken a big bike. In the rain. Full of baby heads, roots and creek crossings. I slept well.

98186E63-F5AC-4D45-B688-12C029629E52.jpeg
    nvklr and juanro22 like this.