brand new 2017 sar 1290 engine noises (sas canister emissions possible)

Discussion in 'Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much HP' started by Lewilewi, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    hi,

only ever had japanese bikes that purr like a happy kitten no matter what,

im suspecting a rottweiler sas canister delete could solve these noises,

if this was a second hand bike , judging by weird noises alone, id swear the engine was knackered,

it pulls like a steam train tho,

took bike back to dealer as it sounded so bad after 1 day of owner ship and 100miles, trained ktm tech rode it said it was perfect , and ive no reason to doubt him, the bikes mental,

i love my new bike, it makes some wacky awful unexplainable noises tho, they seem to come and go to......all from the air box and engine

on hard acceleration it sounds great, standing ticking over or gently negotiating traffic sounds awful but these noises come and go

there a noticeable ticking when plodding along, depending on engine speed and load, ??????

and when just sitting ticking over some times it sounds sweet as a nut then all of a sudden a really noticable noise will come from the air box, sounds so odd.....is this the emissions sas system...

has any one noticed these noises, will fitting the sas cannister delete put a stop to this awful noise....

does any one have videos of the noise before and after sas delete fitment
  2. Deviant

Deviant aka KTM 1290SAdvR

Oddometer:
    Cam tensioner, perfectly normal. Has nothing to do with SAS or Evap can.
  3. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    im on about two differant noises

1 it a ticking noise usually always presant

2 is a weird hollow strange noise from the air box area that comes and goes as it pleases

both noises are totally differant

does the aftermarket cam chain tensioner stop these awful noises
  4. Deviant

Deviant aka KTM 1290SAdvR

Oddometer:
    The ticking is the cam tensioner. No idea what a "hollow strange noise" is but I bet a KTM noise reduction device would take care of it.
    ae235.jpg
  5. IanC

IanC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Number 2 is the SAS system. I noticed it on my 1290 after riding an 1190 for three years with the SAS system deleted.

KTM mechanic thought that was it when I asked him, and I was right. Removed it, no more noise :-)
    Lewilewi and Bluesilver like this.
  6. Lewilewi

Oddometer:

thanks , i can handle the ticking noise.....

but the other noise is plain awful....border line embarrassing when people have a look at your new bike, you start it then it sounds like its on its last legs

any one elses view welcomed
  7. IanC

IanC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 99% sure from your description that it's what I had. Could be mistaken as something loose or rattling, plastic-y. And it's either ON or OFF. I was actually worried that the air filter/box wasn't fitted properly.
    Lewilewi likes this.
  8. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    you described it perfectly...thank you

when i returned the bike after a day i thought the airbox was loose...... plasticy hollow noise.... comes and goes

looks like the rotweiller s.a.s delete it the way forward then....
    IanC likes this.
  9. IanC

IanC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're in the UK, Zen Overland (Wells) make kits themselves, probably a lot cheaper. It's only two CNC'd aluminium plates, stainless screws/washers, dongle(s) and instructions. What I used this time.
    Lewilewi and KTM 1190advR like this.
  10. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    Only reason I'm thinking rottweiler is the blanking plates look more attractive powdercoated

It's cheap enough at 69 quid. (Ebay)
  11. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    did you buy the kit with two throttle balancing tubes
    is this really nessercary.....

the sas system removal video does not seem to show two balancing tubes being removed

12. IanC

IanC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anodized orange looks pretty cool! Except you hardly notice them once fitted...
    KTM 1190advR likes this.
  13. RichardC

RichardC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The SAS is designed to be used to warm up the catalyst faster and inject more oxygen at low revs. Unsure whether just blanking off the ports will stop the noise, as there is a valve controlled by the ECU and it may be that is making the noise. The elimination kits can include a dongle to stop a general failure warning if you remove the valve, but if you can identify the correct plug, all they are is a resistor connected across the pins.
  14. Lewilewi

Oddometer:

rottweilers web site and you tube channel answers that, only things their videos did not mention was the noisey rattles that ian,c has explained above..

im glad ive clarifed the noise goes away with the kit....im ordering the stage 3 kit from rotweiller with the two yellow throttle balancing tubes, logic being as mentioned in my other thread im going to be doing some tuning and a replacement pipe

15. IanC

IanC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I assume that rather than the valve itself making a noise, what's happening is that when the valve's open, it's allowing noise from the *intake of the engine to travel through the rubber pipework and into the airbox.

*EDIT: I think that's actually EXHAUST port rather than INTAKE.
    Lewilewi likes this.
  16. KTM 1190advR

KTM 1190advR Enema of the state Supporter

Oddometer:
    9C6782E5-BE70-4834-8B8A-2179C9518D56.jpeg
    Lewilewi and IanC like this.
  17. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    I think it only lets you check the throttle body synchronization....but you still have to remove the tank to adjust them. Didnt make much sense to me..
    Deviant likes this.
  18. RichardC

Oddometer:
    Not according to this
  19. RichardC

Oddometer:
    You are probably correct, since there is mention of a reed valve at the engine end and perhaps when the electric valve opens, the reed valves are the noise transmitted.
    Therefore, in theory, unplugging (with dongle) that valve should stop the noise. I might just try that when I next take my tank off (to fit horn relay).
  20. IanC

IanC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you found a decent horn, and more importantly a good place to fit it? I bought one from my local auto parts distributor for only about £12 for my 1190. Worked great. Just got it in the OEM mount after a bit of modification.

Unfortunately it won't fit in the 1290. And I love having a good horn :-D