brand new 2017 sar 1290 engine noises (sas canister emissions possible)

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by Lewilewi, Dec 21, 2017.

1. RichardC

RichardC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a Stebel Magnum 80 that I have managed to mount where the OEM fits, using a threaded spacer to extend the stud. It does stick down below the plastic yoke cover but not too far.
    I think that the Denali Sound Bomb Mini might mount further up due to (what appears to be) a slightly different moulding of the outlet horn.
    Although when the bike is not running, pressing the horn button produces no error, but when it is, there is a general failure message - hence the relay requirement. Denali says theirs is CANBus friendly, so that might be a better option.
  2. IanC

IanC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had General Failure errors if I pressed the horn too long on the 1190 after fitting a relay. Probably needed to add a resistor to match the OEM horn.

Will take a look at the Denali.
  3. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Arent the adjustment screws on the throttle bodies?
  4. RichardC

RichardC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good point.
  5. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Just wondering if Any one knows the inner diameter of the yellow tube that you balance the throttle bodies with ...

Can get rest of kit in UK...I'd like to fit the tubes too
  6. 3rdgeargrndrr

3rdgeargrndrr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven’t seen much on our forums about those tubes. Just delete the sas, canister and update those intakes. Less crap to go wrong on the bike. You can take a look for loose parts or other causes while you’re in there. Just order the kit and don’t look back.
    Lewilewi likes this.
  7. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Tank and airbox have to come off to get to the balancing screw
    rick danger likes this.
  8. ArferBrick

ArferBrick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That noise comes from the throttle body motor system (ride-by-wire as it's known). Sounds like being banged on the head with a plastic mug (if you remember that sound from being at school in the 70s lol), a sort of fan whirring sound followed by a hollow plastic clunk.

My 2016 SAT makes it every time you raise the revs above idle speed and drop them, and it's most prominent in stop & go situations but you get used to it. I don't even notice it anymore.

As for engine noise, with the default exhaust you'll notice it, but with an aftermarket you won't. I have the Akro which isn't too loud to be annoying but gives a nice grumbly low end throb. Compare it to a Ducati though and you'll be shocked at how good it sounds in comparison!
  9. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    You dont balance the throttle bodies with those tubes. You can just check the balance. They only extend the vacuum ports that you would hook a manometer to.
    Lewilewi likes this.
  10. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    Bike sounds lovely once the emissions kits fitted,

Lovely MOD...

Now bike sounds like it should
  11. janne73

janne73 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm suspecting I have this same problem.. I made a recording of it. What do you guys (OP especially) think? Same issue? Thought i should get it confirmed before ordering the SAS removal kit.

Lewilewi likes this.
  12. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    I got your private message,

Yes the rattle is an Clear as can be buddy, fit the sas/cannister delete the rattle will go,

I used the rottweiler kit

Watch the rottweiler YouTube tank removal videos first if your not sure, then the sas/cannister delete video to guide you
  13. IanC

IanC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, delete the SAS and that horrible noise will go.

Might also be worth deleting the charcoal canister while you're in the mood! This won't have any noise reduction benefits but you will gain some storage space under the pillion seat.
    Lewilewi likes this.
  14. janne73

janne73 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies! I'll take care of this right away. Will come back with an update.
    IanC and Lewilewi like this.
  15. IanC

IanC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup I got the blip the throttle rattle too. 2018 1290 SAR with 2000 kms. Driving me nuts. Took it to dealer and was told it was normal, but the cause was the throttle plate servos. So what is the real cause?

Valve noise is dissapionting too. Seems to be a Ktm trade mark. My 500 exc sounded like a bloody Diesel engine. Ran great but low speed clacking was like fingernails on a chalk board to me.

This hollow intermittent throttle blip tied rattly rumble is worse.... albeit apparently by design and harmless.
  17. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    It's harmless..

Janne73 is fitting his kit soon, every thing you need is in this thread
  18. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Harmless indeed. But I'm curious, is it the canister valve that's noisy or the sas air valve or both, or something else? Just trying to gain a better understanding.
  19. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    Canister is fuel Tank- won't stop rattle

Sas is engine -fit kit will stop rattle..

Read this all of this thread and watch the videos, especially the rottweiler one,

And all you tube rottweiler videos are pretty informative
    bikedad likes this.
  20. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It makes more sense to be sas since it happens all the time, soon after the engine warms up and its seems very sensitive to engine temp. The sound is also heard loudest near the rad. It's nice when there's some evidence I can see that connects the claim. Thanks. The servos made zero sense, but I wasn't going to argue.

So that means the cats and the exhaust must run a wee bit hotter. Not really a problem this far north but maybe a bit for those in the deep south?