brand new 2017 sar 1290 engine noises (sas canister emissions possible)

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by Lewilewi, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    I got the rottweiler kit off eBay UK. Took ages to arrive the as way out of stock....not sure of any UK dealers for their products,

I never fitted the yellow hoses tho.

Really Glad I fitted it tho
  2. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll wait till my warranty expires, then its gone, along with that noise.

Glad I found this thread. Thanks to all.
  3. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Removing the SAS has no effect on how hot the exhaust runs. It just makes the catalytic converter get up to operating temperature quicker. The SAS valve should only be open when the bike is first started so if the SAS was your noise it should only be doing it when first started. If you want to test if the SAS is the source of your noise then a couple of locking needle nose pliers to block the hoses to the heads or one needle nose on the hose going from the valve to the air box. You cant just unplug the valve to test because it is designed to be open and flowing unless voltage is applied.
  4. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I've since thought about it, the sas is designed to bring 02 in to burn un burnt fuel...not cool things. But many here say the persistent off idle noise goes away with the delete. It does not explain the specific source... just the apparent cure. That's why I asked specifically where it originates from, sas valve, reeds, and top end noise travellng to air box via the hose, were all suggested. There appears to be no clear consensus.

The noise I here sounds the same in jane73's video
  5. brianbrannon

Oddometer:
    That's why you should do some testing. I don't have the SAS installed but I also can't hear anything except engine noise in that video
  6. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The rattle is clear as day in video.
  7. janne73

janne73 n00b

Oddometer:
    Yep.. there's a few very clear rattles. Most noticeable at about 23-24 seconds into the recording. Last week i was taking a gravel training course and i should have recorded that.. Was doing lots of low speed crawling and working with throttle and clutch etc. Sounded like the engine was falling appart.

Waiting for customs to clear the package so hopefully i'll have the rottweiler kit next week.
  8. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup only at low speed or with small throttle blips, and always, just off idle but it doesn't last long either. It seems every time you come off idle, then it quickly fades. It's also very noticable if you listen under the front fender. It appers to be just behind the rad. Looking forward to seeing if you found the fix.
  9. brianbrannon

Oddometer:
    The rattle sounds like normal LC8 engine noise to me
  10. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes we all agree it's normal, and most of us dont like it so we are trying to remove it...word on this thread is that it can he removed. Stay tuned, we are about to find out.
  11. brianbrannon

Oddometer:
    The only way to make the ticking noise go away is to shut off the engine
  12. brianbrannon

Oddometer:
    If you do find a SAS block off kit that makes the engine quiet I will for sure get rid of the one I have installed
  13. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Were not talking about valve train noise. But your right, my engine is off and I dont hear it right now.
  14. janne73

janne73 n00b

Oddometer:
    When you describe it as a ticking noice I suspect were not talking about the same thing. Ticking valves I have no issues with.
    bikedad likes this.
  15. JSYADV

JSYADV "Stuck on a Rock off the coast of France"

Oddometer:
    Hi, I have the same noise on my 1290S, do you have an update after fitting the SAS delete kit. Did the noise you describe go away?
  16. janne73

janne73 n00b

Oddometer:
    I had a service scheduled for last week so I've been waiting for that. Now I just need to find some time.. planning to do it this coming weekend. I also found this conversation I had with Rottweiler last year when I asked about the noice. Their reply:

"Yes, it is the SAS system opening and closing. An emissions kit will get rid of that."

But I'll now for sure soon. I'll post an update when done.
    JSYADV likes this.
  17. janne73

janne73 n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys it took my a while to get this done. But.. today I did it. The SAS is finally gone (used Rottweiler stage 2 kit). I took the bike out for a 20 minute run and never noticed the sound. I used to hear it as soon as the engine was a bit warm and running low rpm's. I will update the thread again when I have done some more testing. Here's a new movie where the noice is gone.

18. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Wear earplugs, enjoy the ride!

SAS does make a few funny noises but not alarming noises and not worth deleting just for that.

Also SAS has no cannister. It is the exhaust air injection/induction system. Evap emissions cannister is a TOTALLY separate, independent system for capturing/recycling fuel vapors. You can delete all or part of either system independently although most people do both together. If you leave the solenoids in place and plug the SAS spigots there is no cost - or you can buy blanking plates and/or dongles with resistors to fool the system into thinking the solenoids are still connected.
  19. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Who the heck wants to ride around with their head under the front fender? Sit on the seat with a helmet and some decent ear plugs and you will never worry about the funny noises again. As a former early-oilhead owner, I never worried about them anyway.
  20. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dick head in every crowd. Thanks for comming forward slartiFartfast
    Lewilewi likes this.