brand new 2017 sar 1290 engine noises (sas canister emissions possible)

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by Lewilewi, Dec 21, 2017.

1. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Just stepping forward for you to bring me a sandwich.

Seriously, if you've got to shove your head in front of the radiator to hear a "funny noise", it can't be that bad. You're just searching for things to worry over.
  2. janne73

janne73 n00b

Oddometer:
    That sound can be heard as clear as the engine itself running at low speed. Why I film around the radiator is, obviously, trying to locate where is comes from. I wouldn't be ok if I bought a new car sounding like that and I don't see why I should be ok with the bike doing it.
  3. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both vids sound the same to me.... KTM's are obviously noisy and it did take me a bit to get used to. Be careful how deep you go into the rabbit hole. KTM's sound like sewing machines and it's inherent to their design. If it bothers you that much you might need to look at another brand.
  4. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    A new car with similar engine design would almost certainly have multiple cylinders sharing a pair of camshafts with smaller lobes (less valve lift) so there would be many more, smaller, torque variations in the camchain(s). Less concern about weight means it would have some way of damping that motion still further, plus heavier rocker covers and crank case to muffle noises. The water jacket might also be configured differently. Finally, the engine would be in an enclosed bay with sound deadening material.

If you would be ok with an engine weighing 50 pounds more, making 2/3 of the power and enclosed in another 30 or so pounds of bodywork, you could probably get it a lot quieter.

Maybe you could consider a gold wing? I hear they are quite quiet.
  5. janne73

janne73 n00b

Oddometer:
    I don't mind the KTM engine sound at all. It was one of the (many) things i liked about the bike when i bought it. It's the noice that the SAS valve causes that annoys me (and several others here). It's funny that some people can't event hear the sound when comparing the movies - and for other it's as clear as day.

I don't mind a loud bike - as long as it sounds like an engine. I do mind a valve sounding like a plastic cup being crushed (someones else description) so loud that even that engine can't drown it.

Anyway I don't see why this have to turn into a flame thing. If some people don't hear or don't care about the noise it's great. For people who do have an issue with it there is a (rather simple) fix for it.
    lithodave likes this.
  6. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:

+1
  7. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Do you have fueling dongles installed? The 1190 keeps the SAS valve closed when the engine is warm so blocking off the SAS should only effect the first few minutes of running. If you want to test if the SAS is making noise unplugging the solenoid makes the system run all the time
  8. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had no distinction of the SAS system until I installed the Rottweiler Air Filter ... now the SAS system now emits an intermittent vacuum sound. Compared to my previous Super Tenere the KTM is super loud and basically rattley. I've gotten used to it now and it all registers as white noise.
  9. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    I absolutely heard the funny SAS noises. They didn't bother me much but (as I noted earlier) they went away when I did the SAS delete (for other reasons.)

If you don't like funny noises, you might not find the SAS delete entirely satisfying because the LC8 motors still make a number of "odd" or "worrying" noises, some of which come and go. Then there's the fork click, sprocket squeak, induction honk, starter grind, gear rattle, throttle whine and chain slap.

I had an early BMW oilhead which made even more funny noises than the KTM does. I spent a couple of years chasing a loud tapping noise that could drown out the rest of the engine when idling after a hard run.

For me, wearing earplugs stops me from worrying if funny noise x, y or z seems a bit louder or a bit different today, as that sort of thinking can take away from the enjoyment a bit.

My favourite noise is the "Yeeeehaaaa" I occasionally hear in my helmet when I twist the throttle hard.
  10. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    I heard a whiney noise. ...There it is again!
    brianbrannon likes this.
  11. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny you mention chain slap ... just completed about 500 miles off road this weekend on my 1090. The chain slap about made me bat sh*t crazy!
  12. janne73

janne73 n00b

Oddometer:
    Haha the fork click and the "yeehaaa!" i have also noticed :-)
  13. KTM 1190advR

KTM 1190advR Enema of the state Supporter

Oddometer:
    I read this first without my glasses on and thought "yeah, I can relate to that and I feel your pain with the wife noise, bro...". Then I put my glasses on and thought: "oh well, alone again...":dunno
  14. baotchi

baotchi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I feel like the annoying vacuum sound is worst since I removed the SAS... I have the stock airbox with K&N filter. It matches the engine revs, 1 second late. When I upshift or downshift, engine goes VRRRRRRRRRRR airbox goes Weeeeeeeeeee

lol
  15. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    .... yep. I guess as long as you're going Weeeeeeee it's all good