Brave enough to ride the 2018 Big Bear Run?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Yellowjacket, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's that time again! The Big Bear Trail Riders are hosting the 24th annual Big Bear Run Dual Sport and Adventure Bike ride. The opportunity to win a 'coveted' plaque by riding the hard route will be on Saturday, June 23rd.

Date: June 23-24, 2018
    Where: Big Bear Convention Center parking lot
    What: A two-day dual sport tour of the mountains surrounding Big Bear
    When: Signups are Friday 6-10 p.m., Saturday 6-9 a.m. and Sunday 7-9 a.m.

AMA membership is required. Join or renew your membership at http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/

Overnight dry camping with no hookups is available at the Big Bear Convention Center parking lot Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon. There are plenty of motels available nearby. The closest one is Motel 6, located across the street. Camping is also available in the area.

For those of you not familiar with this ride, here is the gist of it:

There are three routes available each day: hard and easy ways, as well as an adventure bike route. All skills are welcome, however, I don't recommend the easy route for noobs. You need some riding skills in your arsenal. You never know what the Big Bear Trail Riders will throw at you!

The hard route on Saturday is VERY hard. You need to be an intermediate or advanced rider to complete it. A couple hundred riders start out on the 200 + mile hard route beginning at 6 a.m., but only about 50 to 70 riders usually complete it. You need to pass through all the checks on the hard route, get a ticket from each check and turn in all tickets at the finish to receive a plaque. There are usually 7 or 8 checks. You will ride the rockiest, steepest terrain you have ever seen up on the mountain. Plan to be on the hard route 8-13 hours.

You'll need a capable bike with aggressive knobby tires. Being in shape helps. Start working out and practicing those hard trails in the mountains of Big Bear now!

If you're riding the easy route, show up and have a scenic ride (although you may be challenged in places).

This ride is for street-legal/licensed motorcycles only. A spark arrestor is mandatory.

The price includes a t-shirt (guaranteed with pre-entry), Saturday night dinner and a great raffle with lots of giveaways. You can pay for one or two days of riding.

This ride is GPS only with no roll charts. GPS download is available at signups. Bring your data cable! You'll be given a course map. There will be minimal ribbon on the course.

If you've never ridden the Big Bear Run, go to YouTube and watch some videos. You'll see plenty of footage from people trying to earn a plaque.

These three people from the Big Bear Trail Riders can answer any questions you may have:

Miguel Burgi 818-391-3031 or Miguel.burgi@gmail.com
    Frank Schnetz 909-225-7409
    Jim Nicholson 818-391-3083

http://bbtr.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=849383&module_id=20431

I'll see you there!
    00monster and HBSURFDAD like this.
  2. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    dunerat likes this.
  3. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    YJ, do you know if Gold Mtn is back in this year? I felt we cheated a little last year.:D
    Buster714 likes this.
  4. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    Jim Nicholson said yes, it will be.
  5. dunerat

dunerat WTF? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe.....
    Buster714 likes this.
  6. DJLeBLanc77

DJLeBLanc77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone, Im registered, hotel’ed up, will do the hard route on Sat, easy on Sun. Live in SF, down to do some training runs post May 22 (finals). Feel free to reach out. Question to the board; what GPS you recommend?
  7. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    One that you know how to operate.

The Garmin 78 is less expensive than the Montana.

Don't show up to the GPS download table with one brand-new in the box. That won't help you the day of the event.
  8. DJLeBLanc77

DJLeBLanc77 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Why is that?
  9. breakdirt916

breakdirt916 CA PLATED 94 YZ250 2-STROKE

Oddometer:
    Lol...the GPS table isn't a team of experts from the company offering free tutorials... it's volunteers with a couple laptops to load a GPS track they have created for your convenience. They also have to do it for hundreds of riders that day

Open it, charge it, make sure the memory card is not full, be familiar with how to use it, get in line, load the tracks and get going to keep the line moving.

Next ride: volunteer at the gps table. I volunteered one D37 event (parking lot) and had fun.

Sadly I am working that weekend...
    RAZR and Davethestick like this.
  10. Targetdrone

Targetdrone n00b

Oddometer:
    Can they still load the tracks to a Garmin V with a 9pin serial cable?
  11. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    I'm not ignoring your question, just trying to get the answer. :-)
  12. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I watched some video online. Looks like this run closely mimics CA traffic: parking lot on the trail!

Looks really difficult.
  13. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    Sorry, that unit is just too old and doesn't hold enough tracks. You need a newer unit like the 76, 60, Montana, 78, etc.
  14. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    The sections, with the exception of 38 Special and rutted hills across the street from it, are not that hard. What's hard is doing all of them in one ride. You either have to have sick riding skills and ride super fast in the transfer sections or be in top physical condition and keep moving if you are a novice.
    DJLeBLanc77 and Chillis like this.
  15. Buster714

Buster714 I'll ride anything

Oddometer:
    1. sick riding skills... nope
    2. super fast... nope
    3. top physical condition... mmm, :imaposernot even close

Chris and I took turns running into bushes and tumbling over boulders at 7k feet to make sure we were ready. :jack
  16. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For us, it was simply a matter of keeping moving and limited breaks. I’m old, slow and had a hard time reading the gps. LOL!
    We trained by doing several 150+ mi pre-rides with only short breaks. That really helped.

Super fun event BBTR puts on.
    Buster714 likes this.
  17. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    And don't forget to have a steering damper!! LOL

18. Buster714

Buster714 I'll ride anything

Oddometer:
    Allllllllmost took me off the bike.:rofl Took a nice bite outta me arm. Argh.

Isn’t there a video of the dude that rolled out on his bike with relatively no gear, rode the BBTR BB Run, and rode home?
  19. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    Buster714,

I think you may have two riders confused with each other.

Brad Wagner is the rider that wears jeans, a t-shirt, riding boots, helmet and no gloves (because he likes to feel the power of his bike). In 2016, he finished the event in third place at 4:25 p.m. He was held up because he had a head-on crash with a car and rolled onto the lady's hood. She broke his front fender, so he was upset. He also rode the event in 2015 wearing his same attire. He finished in third place then too, but much earlier at 1:10 p.m.

Last year, Ely Woody finished the event in second place at 3:30 p.m. He got his plaque, I snapped a photo of his badly blistered hands and then he rode his bike home to Apple Valley. He had ridden it to the start that morning.

They're both animals!
    Buster714 likes this.
  20. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    People are starting to get out and practice some of the steep/hard hills for this event. Are you?