Brave enough to ride the 2018 Big Bear Run?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Yellowjacket, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Big Bear Run is less than a month away. Got your bike ready?
  2. DJLeBLanc77

DJLeBLanc77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nope, not yet. On a road trip to S. Dakota getting a Jackalope. But I just need to do a few things, mainly just a sprocket swap and pack a tool bag.
  3. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    YJ, any intel on min distance needed between fueling this year? Last year we refueled twice and probably could have done away with one of those.

Bike just needs an oil change and new shoes are awaiting to be mounted .

Fingers are crossed for no fires this year!
  4. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    No word yet on distance between gas stops. I'll see what I can find out.
  5. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    Still trying to find an answer about gas stops.
  6. DJLeBLanc77

DJLeBLanc77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bikes' prepped, running a 49 tooth, and so on. Taking out to Hollister this Saturday, if anyone is interested let me know. BTW, is anyone doing the Topaz 600?
  7. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    Regarding gas stops on the hard way, the longest distance between gas stops is 90 miles. Make sure you can go at least 100 miles on a tank of gas in case you get lost.

The rule of thumb on a dual sport ride is never pass an opportunity to get gas.
    RAZR likes this.
  8. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks YJ!
  9. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    A note from Frank Schnetz of the Big Bear Trail Riders.

Hello Big Bear Trail Riders:

The BBTR Big Bear Run Dual Sport and Adventure Bike Ride is June 23 and 24. We still need 4 to 5 check point volunteers to check riders through the check points and give out cold water. Volunteers receive an 2018 Big Bear Run t-shirt and dinner at the Saturday evening ride banquet. Please contact Frank Schnetz at frank@feschnetz.com if you are interested in volunteering.
  10. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    Big Bear Run is just a few days away. Looks like it's gonna be a warm one...again.
  11. DJLeBLanc77

DJLeBLanc77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all,

Will there be secured bike parking on that Friday night for an early trail departure on that Saturday?
  12. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    No, it's not like LA-B-to-V with the Boy Scouts watching over the bikes for $10 in Barstow. It's up to each individual to lock up their bike and be responsible for it.

I haven't heard of a bike that's been stolen yet up at Big Bear during this event. That still doesn't mean you shouldn't be cautious and lock it up carefully, whether in the Convention Center parking lot or at a motel.
    DJLeBLanc77 likes this.
  13. DJLeBLanc77

DJLeBLanc77 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hey,,,thanks fr the quick reply. Ill just keep her in the truck then.

Side note, Im also doing Topaz and Lab2v, both registered and hotel’ed up.
  14. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    I did the Topaz ride a couple of times. Gorgeous scenery!

You'll meet people from all around the country and around the world at LA-B-to-V. You should have a great time.

See you in Big Bear!
  15. DJLeBLanc77

DJLeBLanc77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone, Im poolside at the Holiday Inn. When are things kicking off on Friday eveing?

Ps if anyone else is staying here Im leaving tomorrow morning from the hotel at 5:30am sharpie, headed to the starting line for hard route.

David
  16. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    Sorry I couldn't respond to you, David. I was already there in the parking lot Friday afternoon when you placed this post.

Did you have fun? Did you go for the plaque or enjoy yourself on the easy way route?
  17. DJLeBLanc77

DJLeBLanc77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey,,,did both ways kinda. Started off on the Hard Rt 1, got to the top; realized I brought the wrong bike. Went back to the tent got the tracks to the "Ez Route". Did 1 through 4, starting on rt 5 my GPS died. Learned that I cannot charge and use the new Garmin Montana 610 at the same time, oh well. All in all it was a great time. Excited for next years run, going to bring my plated 2t, and try the hard route again.

Sidenote, I think the event organizers are missing out on a great marketing strategy. Rebrand it as "Big Bear AMA Hard Enduro with Dual Sport and Adventure Bike Routes".
  18. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    The videos are starting to come in. Here are two!

This first one is by Davee of his fails om the hard route:

The second one is by Nick Vasquez. The camera was hanging in a tree on Gold Mountain and got a lot of coverage of the hard way riders falling over.

19. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This year it wasn’t meant to be for me. We rode from hotel to convention ctr. Got in line at 0545. Got the first ticket about 0605, hopped on bike and....wouldn’t start. Fuel pump wasn’t getting power. An hr later after, pushing, towing, and stripping the bike down to check everything, I sent my buddy on his way and continued to try and figure things out. Several guys stopped by to help and lend tools, etc. Finally someone said Jim N. ( BBTR President) is the KTM Whisperer. Jim was kind enough to take a look. He tracked down all connections, wiggled wires, etc. We put it together and Pow! I had fuel pressure!! Not sure what he did, but it worked!

Threw the bike back together and left the parking lot at 0755. Sent a text to my buddy that I was moving and for him to keep going, I’d try to catch up. Hauled azz up Gold Mtn and just after the tricky steps got my FIRST flat. Arggggg! Was running a trials tire rear with Tubliss and after pumping it up and not finding the leak, I was praying Slime had worked. Ten min later flat again right after first Checkpoint. Pumped it up to 20 psi with CO2 cartridges and found the hole through a lug. Plugged it and started hauling again. Ten min later flat again. Ok, someone really hates me. A nice guy who was camped nearby offered his compressor. 25 psi... cannot find a leak??? WTH??? By now, losing all hope. Head out again and it’s flat again. Adventure sweep comes by. I’m done.

Ride the flat back to convention center and poked around a pile of old knobbies that had been discarded, thinking maybe I could swap a tire quickly and return. They were all shot. Dejected, headed back to hotel and let my wife know I was done. I sat staring at that tire and remembered I had brought my floor pump in truck. Pumped it up to 25 psi and poured at least two liters of water on it. No *^#% leak! Finally put my ear next to the tire and it was quiet enough to hear a small leak....AT THE RIM!!!! Right against the rim a 3 mm slice. Used my last plug and it seemed to be holding. Screw it! Too nice of a day to just sit there.

Went back to where I had left off and figured I'd just enjoy a day ride. I ended up catching the Hardway Sweep team. I asked if they'd mind if I tagged along with them. "No problem". Ended up finishing the first half, met some great guys, and had a fun ride!!

P.s. Those plugs lasted for about 85 miles of extreme abuse!

BBTR is a first class group and puts on an awesome event.
  20. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    Great story, but sorry all that happened to you. :waysad