Brave enough to ride the 2019 Big Bear Run?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Yellowjacket, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's that time again! The Big Bear Trail Riders are hosting the 25th annual Big Bear Run Dual Sport and Adventure Bike ride. The opportunity to win a 'coveted' plaque by riding the hard route will be on Saturday, June 22nd.

Date: June 22 & 23, 2019
    Where: Big Bear Convention Center parking lot
    What: A two-day dual sport or adventure bike tour of the mountains surrounding Big Bear
    When: Signups are Friday 6-10 p.m., Saturday 6-9 a.m. and Sunday 7-9 a.m.

AMA membership is required. Join or renew your membership at http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/

Overnight dry camping with no hookups is available at the Big Bear Convention Center parking lot Friday after 5 p.m. through Sunday afternoon. There are plenty of motels available nearby. The closest one is Motel 6, located across the street. Camping is also available in the area.

For those of you not familiar with this ride, here is the gist of it:

There are three routes available each day: hard and easy ways, as well as an adventure bike route. All skills are welcome, however, I don't recommend the easy route for noobs. You need some riding skills in your arsenal. You never know what the Big Bear Trail Riders will throw at you!

The hard route on Saturday is VERY hard. You need to be an intermediate or advanced rider to complete it. A couple hundred riders start out on the 200 + mile hard route beginning at 6 a.m., but only about 50 to 70 riders usually complete it. You need to pass through all the checks on the hard route, get a ticket from each check and turn in all tickets at the finish to receive a plaque. There are usually 7 or 8 checks. You will ride the rockiest, steepest terrain you have ever seen up on the mountain. Plan to be on the hard route 8-13 hours.

You'll need a capable bike with aggressive knobby tires. Being in shape helps. Start working out now and practice those hard trails in the mountains of Big Bear as soon as they're open!

If you're riding the easy route, just show up and have a scenic ride (although you may be challenged in places).

This ride is for street-legal/licensed motorcycles only. A spark arrestor is mandatory.

The price includes a t-shirt (guaranteed with pre-entry), Saturday night dinner and a great raffle with lots of giveaways. You can pay for one or two days of riding.

This ride is GPS-only with no roll charts. GPS download is available at signups. Bring your data cable! You'll be given a course map. There will be minimal ribbon on the course.

If you've never ridden the Big Bear Run, go to YouTube and watch some videos. You'll see plenty of footage from people trying to earn a plaque.

These three people from the Big Bear Trail Riders can answer any questions you may have:

Miguel Burgi 818-391-3031 or Miguel.burgi@gmail.com
    Frank Schnetz 909-225-7409
    Jim Nicholson 818-391-3083

https://www.bigbeartrailriders.com/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=849383&module_id=20431

I'll see you there!
  2. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    someday, I need to do this one....

probably would be best to lose 20 lbs and get strong beforehand
  3. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    Three of us at least planing to come do the hard way Saturday.. Looking to add to the plaques we have. Cheers All.
  4. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m going with Reidy. He’s promised to push my bike up 38 Special if I have any problem. :jack
    Buster714 likes this.
  5. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    Wow, Slowred. Considering how long 38 Special is, that's quite a promise.

I'm surprised he doesn't just ride your bike up it for you and then make you hike all the way to the top. After all, it's a downhill walk back down to his bike.
  6. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reidy008 is just that kind of guy! :D

Really looking forward to another Big Bear Run. You guys put on an awesome event.
  7. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    YJ, I'm wondering how deep Devils Hole might be with all the snow they've had this year? It's always been nearly dry when I've been through there. Any intel for us out of towners?
    Buster714 likes this.
  8. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I saw a picture of it recently. I also rode with someone Saturday who had been there the day before.

The water is three to four feet deep and about 42 degrees. It is very fast moving. Impossible to cross right now.
    Buster714 likes this.
  9. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    This ride is for street-legal/licensed motorcycles only. With a surprise CHP check point
  10. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any information on what the adventure route is like? trying to convice some buddies to do it but they are relluctent because they are afraid of some the hard route bleeding over to the adventure route haha.
  11. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    Any of these three people from the Big Bear Trail Riders should be able to answer that question, although the route may not be finalized as of this time. I would let the person you speak to know what kind of experience your buddies have on adventure bikes, i.e. beginners, novice, intermediate, advanced?

Miguel Burgi 818-391-3031 or Miguel.burgi@gmail.com
    Frank Schnetz 909-225-7409
    Jim Nicholson 818-391-3083
  12. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you elaborate on the surprise check point?
  13. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    NO its a surprise
    Buster714 likes this.
  14. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    I could say that out of state plates with CA. driver licensees , non D.OT. tires & reflectors are on the towable list
  15. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you saying out of state license plates will be singled out for extra scrutiny? Wont that give some out of state riders second thoughts about doing the event, since CHP will not know who has a CA license until we get pulled over. I dont remember seeing many DOT tires/ reflectors at the event the last two years. Except for the adventure bikes, of course.
  16. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    I just got off the phone with Jim Nicholson, president of the Big Bear Trail Riders. I read him slidewayes' above posts. He said those posts are not from someone in the Big Bear Trail Riders club. He mentioned this is some of the false information going around on websites and Facebook about their ride.

Jim said there is a CHP in Big Bear who will certainly pull riders over if he sees something that causes him to do so. There is also the local Sheriff. But there is not a surprise CHP check.
  17. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
  18. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    @WADE-O I just spoke to Jim Nicholson about your concern. He said they are keeping the adventure bike route simple.
  19. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    @Javarilla
    @enduro0125
    I don't have time right now to read that entire thread. However, I read a post that described an extremely hard ride. Apparently this guy took his GS on this extremely hard ride/race?

If anyone with a GS thinks they can try the hard route on a GS, please let me explain something. In 2017, Quinn Cody tried to earn a plaque on his KTM 1090 because he needed to test a few things on his bike for the upcoming Red Bull Romaniacs hard enduro in Romania the following month. He left at 7 a.m. (an hour late) on the hard route. He was passing riders until on White Mountain he hit a rock that went through his skid plate and cracked his engine case. That ended his ride.

If you are not Quinn Cody, Jimmy Lewis or Chris Birch, I doubt you are capable of riding the hard route on a GS. I don't think the BBTR sweep crew has the capability of extracting a GS from remote areas of the hard route. You don't really want to test them, do you? :hmmmmm
    mb300 and Buster714 like this.
  20. VanXR

VanXR nOOb/NooB/noob/NOob/NOOB/ Supporter

Oddometer:
    BS. Never has happened in the past. It's up to the rider to make sure their bike is "legal". Why post stupid stuff like this Sidewayes?