Brave enough to ride the 2019 Big Bear Run?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Yellowjacket, Mar 20, 2019.

1. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    WHY? Line 17 of the first post "This ride is for street-legal/licensed motorcycles only. A spark arrestor is mandatory." I have been known to stir the pot sit back and enjoy watching all the people get there panties all bunched up This winter has been hard on the S/B mountains If you feel that you need to bring your 300cc 2 stroke with gummy's plated at your friends place in AZ. to WIN a duel sport ride have at it
  2. welshracing_752

welshracing_752 slidewaysjr

Oddometer:
    Totally doable I've done everything on my 950 without a problem. Been then through Devil's Hole with my wife on the back with water. Do not have to be a top Rider to complete course just have to be a confident Rider at your abilities to complete each section one at a time. It's not the bike that the average GS ride should take but but let's face it. Most on here are below average abilitys trying to improve. With the wrong bike. But if it's all you got go for it have a blast. Brake parts so you can buy new ones and keep the industry rolling
    mb300 and AZ_circus like this.
  3. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ride the Big Bear Run, win a Beta!

American Motorcyclist Association member Matteo Mercurio, of Murrieta, Calif., won a 2019 Beta 500RR-S motorcycle, thanks to his participation in the Big Bear Run, a stop on the 2018 Beta AMA National Dual Sport Series, hosted by Big Bear Trail Riders.

Other prize winners who rode events from the 2018 Beta AMA National Dual Sport Series include:

Dave Gazzaneo of Lakeside, Calif., rode the Big Bear Run, organized by Big Bear Trail Riders, and won a Kenda tire.

James Martin of Taylor, N.D., rode LA-B-to-V, organized by AMA District 37 Dual Sport, and won a Kenda tire.

Kyle Gaskin of Moraga, Calif., rode the Yosemite dual sport ride, hosted by Family Off-Road Adventures, and won an IMS fuel tank.

John Osborn II of Los Alamitos, Calif., rode LA-B-to-V, hosted by AMA District 37 Dual Sport, and won an IMS fuel tank.

Read the following article for more info and to find out how you might win a Beta or accessories for your bike!

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com...dJcnF0yWBkupFwpk_57bP1SE36A7zbbmaGd8JE89H1w7o
  4. palada

palada Perma-n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    All signed up. Here’s hoping I come home with two Betas instead of one :-)
    Davethestick and Buster714 like this.
  5. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    If anyone's wondering what some of the hard trails in Big Bear look like now after all the rain, here's a video that shows them:

Slowred and theGrinch like this.
  6. theGrinch

theGrinch SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer:
    that’s funny
    Buster714 likes this.
  7. VanXR

VanXR nOOb/NooB/noob/NOob/NOOB/ Supporter

Oddometer:
    yes
  8. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    The torrential rains that happened on February 14th really did a number on some of the trails in the San Bernardino National Forest. Nine inches of rain fell on Green Valley Lake that day. Big Bear received a little less than that.

Here's an example of what that rain did to a very popular trail. This is 3N16, the road from Crab Flats to Big Pine Flat. This rider happened to be riding faster than he could see ahead and ended up in the large washout. He laid down his bike before he hit the washout and his body slid into the hole. He's okay, but I think the wind was knocked out of him. The washout isn't marked except for those brown sticks someone stacked up before and after the washout. 3N16.jpg
  9. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    Jim Nicholson has reported that three HUGE sponsors will be present at the Big Bear Run: American Honda Motor Co., possibly with demo bikes;
    Fox Racing; and Red Bull.

Sponsors and vendors set up in the Big Bear Convention Center parking lot Friday afternoon, June 21. They'll be in the parking lot area closest to the northwest corner of Division Dr. and Big Bear Blvd.

It's really nice if you can take Friday afternoon off work. That gives you time to drive up the mountain, check into your hotel or get your trailer or motorhome situated in the Convention Center parking lot before it gets crowded, and spend time checking out all the bikes and talking to the other riders who want to get a plaque (or just take in the easy or adventure bike route). Check out the vendors and buy their stuff, and then go through sign ups in the early evening, download your GPS and head to dinner.

Remember, there is a riders' meeting at 8 p.m. Friday, June 21. Most people don't know about this and miss it. It's held in front of the trailer that has the large maps with the routes posted on it. You'll hear detailed info about the routes, find out info about the checks and get to ask questions. Please remember to attend!
    AZ TOM likes this.
  10. Davethestick

Davethestick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think @emmi and I are in again this year!
    emmi likes this.
  11. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    Great! See you guys there.
    Davethestick likes this.
  12. outlaws

outlaws Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the hard ways doable on a TW200?
  13. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    It's not the bike, it's the rider.

I would question why an intermediate or expert rider would want to ride a TW200 in the first place? Is it as a joke?

In 2010, Ben Geissel attempted the hard ways of the Big Bear Run on a Honda 1971 CT70 to prove it could be done. He didn't make it. He tried again in 2011 on the same little bike.

Read his two stories in the 2010 District 37 Dual Sport Newsletter here, on the second and third pages:

http://www.district37ama.org/dualsport/Newsletter/100901-Newsletter.pdf

and here in the 2011 newsletter on the fourth page in green:

http://www.district37ama.org/dualsport/Newsletter/110901-Newsletter.pdf
    outlaws likes this.
  14. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    No problem on a 200 might even make some section's EZ,er King of Moto's was lay'ed out on a 200
    outlaws likes this.
  15. OscarFox

OscarFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just bought my entry. I'm in for the hard ways
  16. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    It will be an experience you'll never forget!
  17. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    I don't think anyone will riding in the Big Bear area getting ready for the Big Bear Run over the next five days. Snow predicted once again this close to Memorial Day. (Sigh.) :permazot
  18. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    YellowJacket,
    I've been watching this thread from afar for some time and I'm a bit curious about the GS fiasco...
    1st off I don't own a GS.
    2nd, if I did own a GS, I'd just mount 4 electric winches (on all four sides) of my bike, and have an espresso maker in my panniers. Eventually I suppose I could winch my way to the top. It might just take a week or so to do it...along with plenty of coffee breaks.
    3rd, On a serious note, i've never been on those trails, so I'm in no position to say what kind of bikes can or can't make the hard route. But you say that Quinn tried to earn his plaque and failed because he broke his bike. The thing is, all that tells me is that a very talented rider hit a rock and broke his bike and therefor couldn't finish. I have no idea how far into the ride he was, or was it even a super technical section? Do you have some more details about it?
  19. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    I only know that a rock went through his skid plate and into his engine. When I heard that, I assumed he had a plastic skid plate. After all, could a rock go through a metal skid plate?

I also know he was on White Mountain, which isn't as gnarly as Redonda Ridge.

I do not know if he had already made it up Redonda Ridge because I don't remember the route that year.

Go on YouTube and search Redonda Ridge and you will see what that trail looks like. Now imagine Cody's big bike or a GS trying to go up that with dozens of others in the way! Add hot temperatures and that makes it really hard.

By the way, Ty Davis tried to get a plaque years ago on a Husky 610. He failed. He said the bike was just too big. Yet riders on XR650s have earned plaques before.

What else can I say?
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  20. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    Okay folks, it's time to think about the Big Bear Run now that the snow is over in Big Bear. (I hope!)

I just spoke to Miguel Burgi of the Big Bear Trail Riders and he gave me some information about the event, including some new developments. Here's the latest:

The hard way will be 200 miles total. The farthest distance to hard way gas is 100 miles. If you can complete the first 100 miles on the hard way, then you should be able to make the next 100 miles. (There's a hidden message in there somewhere.)

There are two easy way routes to choose from: the advanced easy way (135 miles) and the easier easy way (115 miles). The farthest distance to gas is 50 miles on both easy routes.

The adventure bike route is 140 miles.

If you need to purchase a larger gas tank for your bike for the event, call Chris Hardin at IMS. Tell him you're riding the Big Bear Run and he'll give you a 15% discount.
    Bh867 and Buster714 like this.