Brave enough to ride the 2019 Big Bear Run?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Yellowjacket, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We're only three weekends away from this event. Who's been up in Big Bear practicing for a plaque?
  2. ActionHeroJes

ActionHeroJes "I do all my own stunts"

Oddometer:
    Practice?

loco4ridin and Davethestick like this.
  3. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve only ever ridden through Devil’s Hole during your 11 years of drought. Anybody done it lately? Curious how high the water might be with all the snow and rain this last winter.
  4. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    Some people have ridden it in the last few weeks. If you fall in a hole, it's thigh deep. Otherwise, it's about knee deep. And cold. Or refreshing, as one rider put it.

There are videos of it on Facebook, on SoCal Dual Sport Riders. That's a great site to be on. There are about 7000 members. A lot of them will be riding the Big Bear Run. Lots of talk on that site about the Big Bear Run. You can put Devil's Hole in the search box and the recent videos that were taken in the last few weeks will come up.

A friend of mine rode Devil's Hole alone last week. He fell over in a hole, his bike floated downstream a bit, but he got it out. Said the water was thigh deep in the hole. Was able to start up the bike and ride it 20 miles to his truck. He's still going to ride it at the event in a few weeks.

It's warming up near Devil's Hole and temps will help the water level go down between now and the event.
    Bh867, Buster714 and Davethestick like this.
  5. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thx YJ.
  6. Bh867

Bh867 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions on tires to run for this event? I’m doing the hard route on a plated beta 250. I hope my stamina is up to the task
  7. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    BB is a LOT of rocks. You'll probably want some good, medium compound knobbies. There's very little sand, and very few wooped out areas. Did I mention there's rocks?
  8. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    The most popular tire combination right now on the Facebook site, SoCal Dual Sport Riders, which has about 7,000 members, is the Goldentyre GT216AA Fatty front and the GT333 rear. They are both DOT approved and sticky. Great for rocks.

Whatever you do, don't get a Shinko front copy of the Goldentyre. It's cheaper for a reason. My friend, John Kearney, who has nine Big Bear plaques, has a story about that Shinko tire. His mechanic put that tire on his bike for the Big Bear Run a couple of years ago, even though John had asked for the Goldentyre. It barely held up for the ride. It was just about bald after one day of tough riding. On the other hand, he had used the Goldentyre for many National Hare & Hound races without an issue. You get what you pay for!

By the way, he may recommend a skinnier Goldentyre because you're riding rocks. I have that front tire on my bike. He calls it the Razor.

Now, for the best price and service for those two Goldentyres, call Jeff Schulze in the desert. He's a distributor for all things for your bike. His tel. number is 760-813-1521. Tell him you're doing the Big Bear Run and you'll be riding both rocks, steep uphills and pavement. Ask him what tire pressure he recommends so you'll get the best performance out of those Goldentyres.

Good luck at the ride!
    HBSURFDAD and Todd157k like this.
  9. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    wow.. that's funny. I've had the exact opposite results. My GT fatty was wearing at a backwards angle at just a few hundred miles (Husky 701 and usually riding with wifey on the back.. sometime w/ gear too and about 80%-90% dirt/rock/sand/gravel and the rest tarmac/fwy). The Shinko has held up better and I haven't noticed any side effects. Maybe the riding style or terrain is making the different results.
    AZ TOM likes this.
  10. Davethestick

Davethestick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1. - I can't argue with 7,000 members though.

I'll be running the Shinko MX216 front at the BB ride and a Trackmaster rear.
    HBSURFDAD likes this.
  11. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    Five days til signups for the ride. Can't wait to see you all on Friday!
  12. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    I have a fatty on my 690 and put over a 1000 miles on it and it's still good. It's the only tire I've ever had that worked that well and lasted that long.
    The backward angle wearing is due to braking on the street......ride more dirt. Wifey on the back might accelerate that affect.
  13. Davethestick

Davethestick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Julie and other BB vets - GPS Question.

Im a new adopter of the Smartphone as a GPS craze... Any way we can bring our memory cards at registration for the tracks or is Garmin an absolute requirement? (I've also got Trail Tech Voyager).

See you all Saturday
  14. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    Phones will work. I don't use one as a GPS so I'm not sure how they work. I believe the GPS guys email the tracks to you.

As for the Voyager, you take out the SD card and give it to the GPS guys.

Regarding using phones for your GPS, you need to be able to turn off the afternoon tracks while you're riding in the morning and the morning tracks while you're riding in the afternoon. Make sure you can do that on your phone. Otherwise, the tracks will criss-cross and you will get confused and lost.
    Davethestick likes this.
  15. emmi

emmi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All signed up.

If i can use my voyager thatd actually be sweet since idk where my etrex went LOL
    Davethestick likes this.
  16. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    Final reminders for the 2019 Big Bear Run Dual Sport and Adventure bike ride this weekend.

Please read the Riders' Instructions. They are posted in the third paragraph on the page shown in the link below:

https://www.bigbeartrailriders.com/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=849383&module_id=20431

There will be a Riders' Meeting at 8 p.m. Friday night in the Convention Center parking lot near signups. If you're riding the hard way route, please attend the meeting!

You must be an AMA member to ride this event. (Bring your AMA card or AMA magazine with you.) Not an AMA member? Click on the link below to join or renew your membership (print your new card out and bring it with you if you join online) You can also join at signups:

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/

WARNING: Hwy 330 has bridge construction at the top of the lower passing lane. There is a signal light that controls cars because traffic funnels down to only one lane--TOTAL! This causes a back up Fridays going up the hill and Sundays going down the hill. Either drive up Hwy 330 Friday morning and come down the hill early Sunday morning, or use alternate routes like Hwy 18 or Hwy 38. YOU HAVE BEEN FOREWARNED. YOU MAY SIT ON HWY 330 FOR AN HOUR OR TWO IN TRAFFIC WAITING ON THAT SIGNAL LIGHT!!!

Remember, this year there are four routes to choose from: hard way, advanced easy way, easy way and adventure bike route. All have different mileages and fun factors!

See you there!
  17. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bike and gear are ready. Reidy008, AZ Trailnut, AA-Todd and I are leaving AZ early tomorrow for some Big Bear punishment!! Looking forward to "new" trails after all the storm damage this winter. :ricky
    cyberdos, azredline and AZ TOM like this.
  18. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing you AZ guys! Drive safely. :-)
  19. Buster714

Buster714 I'll ride anything

Oddometer:
    Live feed! Live feed! :D
  20. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    There is live feed on the So Cal Dual Sport Riders Facebook page of the start posted by Garry Cassidy.