Brave enough to ride the Big Bear Run? June 27-28, 2015

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Yellowjacket, Apr 30, 2015.

1. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    I had seen this before but wasn't sure about it but now I'm ordering it. thanks for the reminder.
  2. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like all of us were pretty much fucking up and flopping over!!!
  3. Dudsamoto

Dudsamoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or... SUCKING WIND! When I got to the top at Gold Mountain I had to stop and breathe for a few minutes before I could even ride again. ( and that was with NOT falling!) Thank god I didn't have to carry my bike over it like some of those guys are doing.
  4. ballisticexchris

Oddometer:
    Picking up my dropped bike and lifting it over rock steps well over a dozen times finally did me in!
  5. The Wolf

The Wolf Among The Living

Oddometer:
    i'll have to do this when i get a dual sporter. looks like those guys know how to have a good time:D
  6. slowerthanu

slowerthanu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    does look like a clusterfuck at that spot. Its weird how the cameras can never show how really steep it is,i'm sure it's steeper and harder than it appears on you video,looks dry and loose also.
  7. RAZR

Oddometer:
    it's pretty steep all the way up to the ledge spot. hard to tell on video that I'm uploading at the moment. and that ledge is like a park bench. going down Gold Mountain at the end of the day gives you a better perspective.
    with all the adrenaline and anxiety and excitement all balled into one makes one make poor decisions on lines. :lol3

after all that I felt more in my groove :ricky
  8. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    John Kearney's video from White Mountain to the end of the ride. He's 58, well, he'll be 59 really soon. He's not even tired. Guess it's from racing all those National H&Hs, the King of the Motos and Last Dog Standing.

He keeps singing the praises of his Goldentyres in the video and how they're hooking up in the rocks.

I cannot believe all the jeeps on the John Bull Trail. Incredible! I've always heard how bad they were, but to finally see them in a video? Wow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tWyzn2EaYk
  9. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    There were a bunch of jeeps before the Gas lunch stop also, not sure what the trail name was.
    Sometimes the problem was not the Jeep but all the spectators and spotters standing in the only line left available.
    Then there was the guy in the Range Rover parked sideways across the trail blocking the whole thing. WTH?

Just watched the Video, John ruins it for all us 55+ year olds that want to use age as an excuse!
  10. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    The jeeps were probably on Dishpan. That goes from Crab Flats to Hook Creek to Cedar Glen, where Jensen's Market is. The gas stop is near the market.
  11. RAZR

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mlfXZTdGdBI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. ballisticexchris

Oddometer:
    LMFAO!! Fuck you too!!!!!!!!!! I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. Not even one minute into the video!! Great recovery on the rock step! you took the hard line and got er' done! BTW, love the horn!
  13. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:

Yep, That's it, Dishpan.
  14. criss6

criss6 n00b

Oddometer:
    Little clip I threw together of the fun. Little Gold, Redonda & Dishpan thrown in.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vxmNLh-4NLI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  15. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is bad with the Jeeps? That is their trail also. My jeep club was there this weekend and helped quite a few bike riders. They are not in John's video.
  16. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    Not to speak for Julie, but she's not saying their bad people, just "bad" as in "numerous" or "a lot more than I thought"
    Yes it is their trail also, but no one could argue, Jeeper or Biker, that they wouldn't be better off with less vehicles on the trail. We all know Big Bear is a high use area.
    I think if I was in a Jeep club I would try and schedule my run on any weekend other than the BBTR. You are guaranteeing there will be 300 more motorcycles than usual on the trail that weekend.
    Line selection is everything on a Motorcycle ( and I guess Jeep also) so anything that limits your ability to select the best line leads to more difficulty and less fun. (IMO)

BTW, all the Jeeps I encountered were friendly and courteous.
  17. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Great sound track Charles
  18. RAZR

Oddometer:

I forgot to add to the video RIP Chris Squire. :kumbaya

Yes is one of the best bands of all time. influencing bands well beyond prog rock and other forms of rock. he will be truly missed.
    I listened to Yes on my drive back from Big Bear on Sunday so this was fitting. also, the tempo is perfect for the start of the ride. :ricky
  19. 1224R

1224R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes was great..

So was Anderson, Wakeman, Bruford and Howe... Saw those dudes a few times....
  20. RAZR

Oddometer:
    more cowbell!:super