Brave enough to ride the Big Bear Run? June 27-28, 2015

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Yellowjacket, Apr 30, 2015.

1. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    there were just A LOT of Jeeps. and they were basically parked. not driving. so there was no line on the down hill section of John Bull. just along the tree branches. :lol3

I just rode around all of them. no big deal. but some lines were totally blocked so Plan B was in effect. :ricky
  2. Dudsamoto

Dudsamoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice job on the video. Let me relive the whole thing! What bums me out, is I was able to get over Gold and Redonda without much trouble. What did me in was my conditioning. (lack of) Stopping to rest all the time is not gonna get it done on this ride.
  3. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Dudsamoto. I made the wrong choice for a word. Yes, I certainly meant numerous. You read my mind exactly.

The second rider in, who arrived back at the Convention Center at 1 p.m. with the first rider, said he did an endo into a jeep on one of the trails. He said to the jeep driver, "Here, let me give you my telephone number." The jeep driver said, "No, man, that's cool. Just keep on riding!"

Nice guy! :D
  4. criss6

criss6 n00b

Oddometer:
    Ran out of gas on the home stretch & a super cool jeep guy towed me up the last hill on Gold Mountain so I could coast down to checkpoint 8. I offered him $20 as thanks but he wouldn't take it. Thanks Jeep dude! :clap:clap:clap
  5. RAZR

Oddometer:
    http://youtu.be/7hfb3CCkUD8

embeded...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7hfb3CCkUD8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    :ricky
  6. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
  7. RAZR

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FucPAriMeI8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. BigBearJoe

BigBearJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Redonda Ridge was always very rocky even when we built it 21 years ago in 1994. But it is gotten SO much worse from all the use over the years. A lot of those rocks that now have to be negotiated used to be under the dirt!
  9. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    So true! At least the Jeeps haven't gotten to Redonda yet. The first part of that trail, "Little Redonda" I think they call it. Man what fun,wish that would just go on for miles. Reminds me of some of the cool singletrack down in Baja.

I had a pretty good run at the first hill,got over it without too much drama, but I did hit that last ledge at the end of Redonda wrong, and had to back up and try again. "Way more LEFT that time"

Good video's thanks
  10. BigBearJoe

Oddometer:
    Where is the ledge at the end of Redond
    a that everyone is referring to? Is it just after you cross the creek and start climbing out? That's the only ledge I remember at the end the last time I was there 11 years ago. At that time it was just a little step up. No big deal with just a little momentum.
  11. Dudsamoto

Oddometer:
    Yea, I believe it was after the creek. Pretty much the last challenging part on that trail. The problem is it sits at a bias to the trail, maybe 60 degrees or so.
    If you you stay way left you can run against the hill and be fine. I could see where guys tried to square it up but there is not enough room.
    If it was 90 degrees to the trail you would just pop over it without really thinking it was anything special.
  12. RAZR

Oddometer:
    yup. you two are correct. after the creek. it's at an angle and you can't square it up. stay way left (which isn't easy with the off camber hill) or hit the right area semi square. momentum is key. with most of this shit. :D
  13. BigBearJoe

Oddometer:
    Another thing, the big hill climb at the beginning of the trail near Big Pines was always difficult but now I see that there is now a nasty rut/trench near the last ledge at the top. When we constructed the trail at that location, we had planned to contour around the hill at a more reasonable slope but the Forest Service manager above us said "no, it's got to stay on the flag line." So that's what we had to do. All these years later that was obviously a mistake. But it does provide a nice element that separates the men from the boys.
  14. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent Videos Razr!!

Thanks for taking the time to put them up and take us along for the ride.
  15. RAZR

Oddometer:
    thanks man! :thumb

I have maybe 3-4 more videos to edit.

there's still Silverwood, Deep Creek, White Mountain and John Bull. :ricky

editing takes some time. and as you can see, I like to make it somewhat entertaining for the viewer. :freaky
  16. Buster714

Buster714 I'll ride anything

Oddometer:
    Yup. Here's the ledge missing from Razr's video https://youtu.be/zEYJef6V9Fs?t=7m59s Left side rolls right up. :D

Good stuff Razr! I'm finally in your videos!:freakySorta. :lol3 Fist bump on White Mtn?:lurk
  17. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spoke to a rider today who has a cabin in Green Valley Lake on Meadow Ln. I had met him a couple of weekends ago and told him about the Big Bear Run. He wasn't interested in entering it, but was interested in hearing about it.

Today he asked me how the Big Bear Run turned out. I told him 73 riders received plaques. He said about 60 riders, some who were racing and popping wheelies, rode down his street last Saturday. He said he was a little surprised by the behavior of the riders, considering they were riding through a town.

I apologized for the behavior of the riders, said that they should know better, and also said I would bring it up on this message board.

Racing through small (or large) towns and popping wheelies on pavement is a good way to get this event cancelled! The Big Bear Trail Riders spend a lot of time and resources to put this ride together for you, the participant, and this is not the way to thank them. [​IMG]

If this guy who owns a cabin on that street and is a dirt bike rider was surprised with the situation, what about everyone else on that street? What if they complain to someone?

I admit I don't always use my head correctly in all situations. We have to use our head correctly in this situation if we want to continue having organized dirt bike rides. Please watch your speed in towns and don't pop wheelies unless you are on the dirt.

Thank you.
  18. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a bummer. Might have been a few dickheads who took the easy route. OTOH, it could of been some fuckwads not even associated with the ride. The hard way guys did not go anywhere near Green Valley Lake. It's always a few ass holes who fuck it up for the rest of us. Reminds me of the Harley riders who rev their motors for no reason other than to annoy people.

Why do people act like this? Really makes you wonder. I'm really sorry for the gentleman who had to deal with these jerks. I want him to know most of us here are riding for enjoyment and courtesy of others.

Shame on anyone who was doing this squid behavior on a ride that proceeds go to help children with brain tumors.
  19. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw the hard way map. It went up Snowslide (2N13) towards Green Valley Lake and looked like when it reached the back gate of the GVL campground it went left and took those dirt trails to the paved GVL Rd, which would take you to the dirt turnoff toward Crab Flats, which would then take you to Dishpan Springs and on into Hook Creek Rd. and gas.

I didn't think it went right which would take you to GVL Rd in Green Valley Lake and then up Meadow and onto dirt and then back onto GVL Rd, etc. The easy way could have gone that way to avoid going through the little town, and then hooked up with 3N16, but it seems the easy way people wouldn't have been as likely to have been racing and popping wheelies. But they could have.

We're not talking about a few riders, we're talking around 60.
  20. Balancer

Balancer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just looked at my easy route tracks and we skirted GVL on 2N19 and followed it to GVL road. We came out on GVL road very close to Hwy 18. But we did come within a half mile or so to Meadow lane, but the tracks never left the dirt. After thinking about this there was a point where the tracks made hard left, almost a 180 turn. If you missed that turn you would go through a half open gate, that must of gone to GVL. Easy routers seem to be the guilty ones!