Brave enough to ride the Big Bear Run? June 27-28, 2015

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Yellowjacket, Apr 30, 2015.

1. lightninquick

lightninquick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great videos rzr!
  2. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    Julie, I never saw anyone ride like asshats.

there's always a few bad apples. and not all of them read the forums.

good luck policing 300 motorcycle enthusiasts. :thumb
  3. RAZR

Oddometer:

thanks man! :freaky
  4. RFVC600R

RFVC600R No sand here :'(

Oddometer:
    Was the smoke bad? I didn't go because that shit was fucking me up, and I'm all the way in Twentynine Palms.
  5. RAZR

Oddometer:
    zero smoke.
  6. RFVC600R

RFVC600R No sand here :'(

Oddometer:
    Geez what a wasted weekend for me :cry:cry:cry
  7. RAZR

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oraBthRDdHU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. Dudsamoto

Dudsamoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, crazy seeing "Deep" Creek dry! 2W01 is probably my favorite little stretch of single track up there.
    I sent this video to my Son to rub it in....last time I took him through there the water was up to the fenders on his XR. Yep, he fell right in the middle!

I don't remember the boulders being that bad after the Creek. Must have had a
    rock slide or the water maybe moved some around?
  9. Buster714

Buster714 I'll ride anything

Oddometer:
    :bow

:beer Fist bump on white mtn! :lol3
  10. Dangerish

Dangerish I fall a lot

Oddometer:
    Dat horn tho.... :rofl
  11. criss6

criss6 n00b

Oddometer:
    Tell me if I'm the asshole in this scenario. 2 of my riding buddies didn't plaque and are pissed at me for "leaving them behind". I overly stressed the importance of the GPS on rides like this as it's very easy to get separated. But they all told me to "buzz off... I'm not buying one and learning it.. we'll just follow you." Well.. they couldn't keep up as I suspected. After riding through gnarly for 30 min.. I come to a junction & look back to find no one. And there was no way I was going back down & up White Mountain with what little energy I had left. I wait 20 minutes and decide to continue. Well.. they missed checkpoints. Am I wrong to believe that you have to be a little selfish to get that plaque? So ... if they get a flat.. they have to rely on me for tire irons too? You have to be self sufficient out there. I spent lots of time on the forums, bike & gear prep and they took none of my advice to heart. Should I have looked back more often? Probably. But I was on a mission.
  12. slowerthanu

slowerthanu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man that's a tough one, I would say if everyone was on the same page at the start of ride so be it. Me personally, I always wait for the group i'm with, no one get's left behind. I try to always ride 3, you know one to stay with injured one to ride for help if need be. It's always best if everyone carries a map or roll sheet in case they do get lost. congrats on your plaque,sounds like it was well earned.
    criss6 likes this.
  13. RAZR

Oddometer:
    you are not an asshole in this scenario.
    maybe if this was a dual sport trail ride and not a "challenge", but they would've held you back.
    you gave them plenty of heads up to get their own GPS. also, everyone needs to carry their own tubes and irons. these type of rides (just like LAB2V), there is a big possibility that you will get separated. and it is NOT good to back track against the stream to look for them.
    also, this ride is challenging. if they can't keep up or are beat from all the gnar gnar, that's not your fault.
    waiting 20 minutes is 15 minutes longer than I'd have waited.
    also, there were so many other riders on this ride, they should have followed another rider OR said to another rider to tell you they were stuck/beat/over it/ etc.
    don't feel bad.
    I told my riding partner, 1224R, to keep up and stay at a good pace.
    we saw guys we knew that weren't in our group and these other guys had problems with their bikes. they said they were fine. we kept riding.
    we're all adults here. no one should need their hand held.
    and this isn't a noobs ride. don't enter this ride if you are not capable on hard terrain and don't enter if you are not properly prepared.
    GPS. spare tube. tire irons. tools. water. snacks. well maintained motorcycle. good attitude.
  14. 1224R

1224R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Charles and I got separated when he lost his spot.... I waited for five minutes and kept going.... He caught up as he was leading anyway and we kept goin...we both knew we both wanted to plaque so if one of us had a issue or lost we knew to go for it solo....
  15. black805

black805 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BBTR just called and said they're sending my plaque out. I came in 49th and they only had 45 plaques on hand. Super stoked and what a great group
  16. RAZR

Oddometer:
    just got home from the District 37 meeting. Jim Nicholson (BBTR) is always there. he's a great guy and they pulled together a great ride even though the fire eliminated a big portion of the original tracks.
    now get ready for LAB2V !!! :clap
    this year will have some great tracks! :ricky
  17. criss6

criss6 n00b

Oddometer:

Right??!! Thanks Razr. I actually saw a guy standing in line at registration at BBTR with a brand new 78S... STILL IN THE BOX!. Like he picked it up at Best Buy on his way up the mountain and was asking "can someone give me a quick crash course on this thing". lol. Anyways.. I'll be at LAB2V this year... hopefully with some like-minded riding buddies.
  18. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    criss6, sounds like your riding buddies wanted you to carry them to the end of the ride to get plaques!
  19. RAZR

Oddometer:
    last video. phew, these take time to edit.:knary

20. Dangerish

Dangerish I fall a lot

Oddometer:
    Good times. I subscribed.