Brazil thread

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Linhares, Sep 10, 2010.

1. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Brazil has a very high import and VAT taxes. My new 2010 Suzuki wee strom (650) cost about $17K USD!!!!!!! I think you owuld be much better off buying a bike and coming in on a tourist visa. Then you can ride out of the country every 6 months or so and come back in for another 6 months. Things may have changed since I was there from 2008 - 2011 but that was common for people wanting to avoid the Brazilian tax.
  2. youngforever

youngforever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    18 k US Wow. I will have to think about it. My objective is not to avoid paying taxes at all cost because going back and forth to another country also costs .

I'm used to paying taxes. In Colombia and Mexico I paid $4000 more taxes that I would have paid in Canada for a DR 650. And I expect it to be lot more in Brazil.

I'm no longer 25 and I will need private healthcare coverage which young travelers wouldn't need to buy. I will have physical issues because I have been rebuilt, shoulders, hips and knees don't know when I will need new surgeries.

An older folk like me has to face the older I get, the more I would likely require healthcare sooner or later.

I still have kids like their father they like to travel. They understand how I want to ride Brazil, and maybe live my last days there. They say go for it. That's fine with me.

All I want to do is to do things right most importlantly for my kids then. Like in Mexico and Colombia, I will send them ticket to visit me.

it all adds up very pretty fast, but the most important is to do our dream, and don't make others to pay for it.
    SCExpat likes this.
  3. youngforever

youngforever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I began to look at the falcon 400i. I saw a couple for sale on mercadolivre of Brazil, and ton of them in Argentina. I find it interesting it is similar in size and weight of what I ride right now, but it has a much higher seat. Before looking any further, I would need a lowering kit. None is available in Canada or in the USA. Would you know if I can find a lowering link in Brazil or in Argentina
  4. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First check to see whether foreign nationals can leave the country with a bike they purchased in Argentina. I think not, but I'm not sure.

Then consider having lowering links made for you. This part is not rocket science, and you should be able to have it done cheaply. Don't forget to lower the front end to match and shorten the kickstand.

Hope that's helpful.

Mark
  5. Singulano

Singulano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good bike the 400i 2013/2015 but expensive, the 400 carb 1999/2008 is not too good. Never seen lowering link to this bike. And by the same price you can get a G650gs 2010... it's lower, stronger, better...
  6. youngforever

youngforever Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. youngforever

youngforever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for your input. It looks like that my travel insurance doesn't want or can't cover me unless I have a valid Quebec healthcare, a valid Quebec driver's license, and the motorcycle must be registered in Quebec.
  8. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Simple move from Quebec to Alberta I buy health travel insurance here every year and my guess is I am as old as you , they do not ask for any of those things.
  9. youngforever

youngforever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I only have Quebec healthcare and driver's license coverages. I have travelled rv/mc fulltime between BC, Colombia and Mexico since I retired.
  10. youngforever

youngforever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cal I lived several years in Calgary in the 70's and 80's. Did lot of riding throughtout western Canada.

Are you thinking riding south anytime soon?
    Cal likes this.
  11. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride south to Mexico and CA every winter but this year I will be a little late as in the New Year due to some unplanned items. The bike is in Arizona right now. Are you in Puerto Escondido?
  12. youngforever

youngforever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Cal, nice to hear that you ride to mexico every winter. I did the same when I was working in Alberta. Usually I'm in Puerto by the end of september, but I'm currently in BC because my wife needed a surgery. She's ok now, so will be in Puerto last week ofnovembero.

Didn't ride as I would have like these past years, but I'm planning to catch up and want to ride the back country of the Andes/Amazona, Ecuador, Bolivia, Peru, and Brazil in the years to come.
  13. Enprize

Enprize Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Traveling to Sao Paulo 16 DEC to 15 Jan looking for recommendations for hotels
  14. youngforever

youngforever Adventurer

Oddometer: