Breakfast with Keas, New Zealand 2018

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by stollenvernichter, Apr 11, 2018.

1. stollenvernichter

stollenvernichter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]Neuseeland titel eng by Michael, auf Flickr

Stage 11: Punakaiki – Mapua

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-000 by Michael, auf Flickr

No camping, fast start, but I could stay at my "house" 5 days, preferably with sun, which disappeared since three days. Driving along the Pacific coast is not a bad start either.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-001 by Michael, auf Flickr

At the pancake rocks, the Pacific has not shown very lively, he can do better.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-005 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-006 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-004 by Michael, auf Flickr

And there is no better way to start the day with a nice ride along the coastal road.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-008 by Michael, auf Flickr

Before heading east near Westport, I visit a few seals at Cape Foulwind,

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-010 by Michael, auf Flickr

at Tauranga Bay

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-012 by Michael, auf Flickr

and take some kind of breakfast.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-013 by Michael, auf Flickr

Towards east, there are two paths, the Buller River Gorge or the Denniston Track, an old mining trail. North of Westport the road is winding up the hill into the mining area and the entrance looks good

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-015 by Michael, auf Flickr

but after that the track get's very rocky.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-016 by Michael, auf Flickr

Adventurous, but alone and through a really remote area ..... the GPS promises two major river crossings. And as I know the kiwis, the bridges could only be promised. I turn around and take the curvy road along the parallel Buller Gorge, not the badest decision.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-017 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-018 by Michael, auf Flickr

Always along the river, the valley widens

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-019 by Michael, auf Flickr

in Kawatiri I follow the river of the same name and took the State Highway 6 to my destination in Nelson, but I still don't know where I am going to settle tonight. The weather is still on the dark side of the power, I renounce the more attractive planned tracks and find myself quickly in the Nelson rush hour. Annoyed by so much traffic, I literally turn off, strive northward and stopped in Mapua.

Pretty nice, I think, enter the supermarket, get me some nerve food and check the weather forecast. For tomorrow, the dark power sends rain over the land again. Ok, a permanent home would be an advantage, time for a nice B & B, I noticed this sign near the road.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-022 by Michael, auf Flickr

But what does Puffed mean? Aha, short of breath. A quality that I can not deny after the last year. And the absence of pedals, I can certainly talk away.

So I turn into the narrow driveway and my arrival isn't unnoticed by the landlady. The removal of the helmet generates a brief communication disruption, but yes, she also picks up motorized two-wheelers and their owners for $ 90. Ok, after 390 km, I do not think twice.

I seem to look a bit tired, she provides me with a tea and shows me my room, with flat screen TV and kitchenette, I can't complain,

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-020 by Michael, auf Flickr

and the way to the refreshing shower.

Quickly disposed the motorcycle clothing on the pateo

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-021 by Michael, auf Flickr

and showered. Meanwhile, the landlord Paul has arrived and wants to enlighten me about the possibilities of food intake in the village. Which means I'm sitting next to him in the car, we're making the tour of Mapua. The small harbor is surrounded by about ten restaurants.

A difficult choice, the winner was the Apple Shad Cafe with his

Green-lipped mussels with coconut, lemongrass, chilli and coriander

Cider tempura battered gurnard served with fries, tartare and slaw.

Chocolate and caramel parfait with layers of chocolate oreo, mochaccino mousse, mascarpone topped with caramel popcorn

After this meal, I just had to come back to Paul's taxi offer. Did I mention that, nice, New Zealander and so on? Goodnight.

The next morning, the promised rain splatters and the clouds do not change until late in the afternoon.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-023 by Michael, auf Flickr

This time I am strolling on my own power to the harbor.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-038 by Michael, auf Flickr

Kiwi Christmas trees are bigger as usual,

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-024 by Michael, auf Flickr

and after 15 minutes reaching the harbor, where I am eagerly awaited.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-028 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-025 by Michael, auf Flickr

A bit early for dinner, so I'm sitting at the bay.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-026 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-030 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-032 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-033 by Michael, auf Flickr

Slowly the stomach announces itself, what do we eat or drink today? Maybe smoked salmon on the spot

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-035 by Michael, auf Flickr

In the Rimu Wine Bar, I tasted some, surprise, wines before the winner was married to a small but very tasty pizza.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 011 Punakaiki – Mapua-037 by Michael, auf Flickr

This time I renounce the taxi and use the way as a digestive walk. A little chat with Paul, he builds houses, has never left New Zealand and confirms the Denniston Track wasn't a good idea, no bridge, the water passage is usually half a meter deep. The planned tour into the Abel Tasman National Park is canceled, because the main street was spilled by my girlfriend Gita. So I choose another target, the French Pass in the Marlborough Sounds, shouldn't be ugly.
    bobw, Shaggie, B10Dave and 1 other person like this.
  2. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great updates Michael!!

Shane
  3. stollenvernichter

Oddometer:

Stage 12: Mapua – French Pass

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 012 Mapua – French Pass-000 by Michael, auf Flickr

The ingredients for breakfast are in the kitchenette and are served on the pateo. Toast, jam, cereal, milk, orange juice, tea and a New Zealand / English specialty, Marmite. Warning, looks like beet syrup, but tastes completely different, clearly not my taste. https://web.archive.org/web/20080526165442/http://www.accomodata.co.uk/marmite.htm

Paul joins me for a morning chat. The weather supposed to be sunny today, but the summer was too humid, normally the grass would be brown and longer dry periods would be normal, hurricanes are quite unusual in summer. Winter would be the most beautiful time, with clear mountain views.

I don't want to wait until winter, left the cozy place and drive south/west, because the direct route to French Pass is not day filling. Let's see what the day before yesterday leftovers have to offer. First driven through the green hills.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 012 Mapua – French Pass-001 by Michael, auf Flickr

beautifully waved through timberland

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 012 Mapua – French Pass-002 by Michael, auf Flickr

and the next 30 km offers gravel and dark clouds.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 012 Mapua – French Pass-003 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 012 Mapua – French Pass-004 by Michael, auf Flickr

View from Hope saddle

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 012 Mapua – French Pass-005 by Michael, auf Flickr

another small, rewarding swerve

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 012 Mapua – French Pass-006 by Michael, auf Flickr

through the green hell with loud, four-wheeled company.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 012 Mapua – French Pass-007 by Michael, auf Flickr

Talking about loud, four-wheeled company. If you like that, you should visit the WOW Classic Car Museum in Nelson. A daring mix of wearable art and car museum.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 Nelson WOW Classic Car Museum-000 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 Nelson WOW Classic Car Museum-003 by Michael, auf Flickr

The fastest Mini in the world.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 Nelson WOW Classic Car Museum-008 by Michael, auf Flickr

old

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 Nelson WOW Classic Car Museum-25a by Michael, auf Flickr

Youngtimer

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 Nelson WOW Classic Car Museum-031 by Michael, auf Flickr

british animal

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 Nelson WOW Classic Car Museum-063 by Michael, auf Flickr

new

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 Nelson WOW Classic Car Museum-068 by Michael, auf Flickr

and from the future.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 Nelson WOW Classic Car Museum-050 by Michael, auf Flickr

More exhibits https://www.flickr.com/photos/stollenvernichter/albums/72157689332985920/with/27247079008/

Behind Nelson, it gets nice and curvy, unfortunately with construction sites and many campervans.

Had almost missed the branch to French Pass because of a Kiwi misspelling,

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 012 Mapua – French Pass-023 by Michael, auf Flickr

This is a dead end, but has nothing to do with dead or end, a 60 km little dream of a street.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 012 Mapua – French Pass-022 by Michael, auf Flickr

A short stop at Okiwi Bay

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 012 Mapua – French Pass-008 by Michael, auf Flickr

and already the Marlborough Sounds show their quaint side.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 012 Mapua – French Pass-009 by Michael, auf Flickr

The last kilometers are again asphalt-free, but not free of many vista points.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 012 Mapua – French Pass-011 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 012 Mapua – French Pass-014 by Michael, auf Flickr

The end is near,

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 012 Mapua – French Pass-017 by Michael, auf Flickr

at Elmslie Bay

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 012 Mapua – French Pass-018 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 012 Mapua – French Pass-019 by Michael, auf Flickr

at the French Pass Campside.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 012 Mapua – French Pass-020 by Michael, auf Flickr

I'm not the only one who chose the Marlborough Sounds as an alternative to the Abel Tasman National Park, the campsite was crowded, but a few friendly kiwis have set aside their trailer and cleared the space on the side strip.

The small shop closes soon, so I have to settle for dinner with the remaining stock, but Aunt Betty did her job, the Icelander gets his crumbs too. He almost feels at home when a couple of dolphins make jump exercises in the bay, dinner with dolphins, not bad.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 012 Mapua – French Pass-021 by Michael, auf Flickr

Another small evening walk on the jetty, where a kiwi has plenty of fish to fish. Asking what kind of seafood it is. Actually only bait fish, as smoked fish still edible. Fishing is the main activity of most campers, but apparently also the rays fishing under the dock. Just before entering the sleeping bag, the Campside caretaker comes by and apologizes that I haven't got a better place. I reply this would be all right for one night. Phew, so much unfamiliar friendliness is pretty stressful. [​IMG]
  4. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap

My home province :raabia
  5. BSTT

BSTT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting report from an island far away!
    You mentioned in the beginnig why you didn't do it before.
    I think the time consuming travel is what freaks us Europeans out.
    Fine that you did it!!
    Ciao Gero
  6. stollenvernichter

Oddometer:

Stage 13: French Pass – Hanmer Springs

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-000 by Michael, auf Flickr

The morning is dusky and it doesn't get much brighter thanks to dark clouds.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-002 by Michael, auf Flickr

but a beautiful landscape clouds didn't disturb.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-001 by Michael, auf Flickr

Yesterday's way back gives me completely new impressions, the clouds clear. It goes back south to Blenheim. From the turnoff to the French Pass, the route is not particularly exciting, so the city is. Refuel, get money, that's it.

But for those who are interested in militaria or world warplanes, the Omaka Aviation Heritage Center https://www.newzealand.com/de/plan/business/omaka-aviation-heritage-centre/ and a small Classic Car exhibition.

I renounced both, it was again plentifully warm, complaining at a high level and I did not know exactly how much time I needed for the highlight of the day, the Acheron Road.http://www.doc.govt.nz/acheron-road

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-004 by Michael, auf Flickr

No fuel for 190 km, no telephone, no towing service, the majority is graveled ...... everything sounds very promising. The non asphalt part is fine gravel and much better maintained than some public streets. That's because it is all private land, Molesworth Farm, and since they are reluctant to get wet feet, all rivers are also bridged.

I choose the better entry over the Taylor Pass

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-005 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-006 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-007 by Michael, auf Flickr

The first kilometres are still paved and are accompanied by vineyards,

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-009 by Michael, auf Flickr

through the Awatere River valley

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-010 by Michael, auf Flickr

surrounded by 2000er it is more or less uphill,

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-011 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-013 by Michael, auf Flickr

sometimes downhill again,

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-014 by Michael, auf Flickr

and scenic views, New Zealand tries honestly.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-015 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-016 by Michael, auf Flickr

Oncoming traffic is clearly noticeable.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-018 by Michael, auf Flickr

Better bridge this river bed.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-020 by Michael, auf Flickr

To Upcot Saddle.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-022 by Michael, auf Flickr

On the saddle.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-023 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-024 by Michael, auf Flickr

The Tapuae-o-Uenuku, 2885 m high, shows its cloudy tip.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-025 by Michael, auf Flickr

Endless gravel and scenic views

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-026 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-027 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-032 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-033 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-034 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-036 by Michael, auf Flickr
    Gunerdo, bobw, B10Dave and 1 other person like this.
  7. stollenvernichter

Oddometer:
    Shortly before Molesworth Cob Cottage, the first other small or large cattle shows up.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-038 by Michael, auf Flickr

Around 10,000 cattle are still hiding in the mountains.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-039 by Michael, auf Flickr

At the Molesworth Cob Cottage Campsite, beautifully situated in the countryside, you can camp rudimentary. Especially needed for push bikers, because in the meantime we have covered 120 km.

I take a break above the campsite

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-040 by Michael, auf Flickr

with backside panoramic view.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-042 by Michael, auf Flickr

At Wards Pass, it goes downhill

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-043 by Michael, auf Flickr

into a plateau, which is exactly what it looks like, Isolated Flat. Could be I exceeded the prescribed top speed of 50 km/h.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-044 by Michael, auf Flickr

The Gravel Road rises again to Isolated Saddle,

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-046 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-047 by Michael, auf Flickr

before entering the valley of the Acheron River.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-048 by Michael, auf Flickr

Short compulsory break at one of the few cattle gates.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-049 by Michael, auf Flickr

Voluntary break.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-051 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-050 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-052 by Michael, auf Flickr

Hanmer Springs is only 50 km away, making it even more fun to riding along the Archeron River and through the eternal Kiwi Mountains.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-053 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-054 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-055 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-056 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-057 by Michael, auf Flickr

To Hanmer Springs you have the choice between the Jollies Pass and Jacks Pass. I already know the Jack, so the crowning conclusion is the Jollies Pass.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-058 by Michael, auf Flickr

If you want it stress-free, better follow Jack, Mr. Jollie offers a surprising short but deep water crossing and a much steeper finish into the Hanmer Range.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 013 French Pass – Hanmer Springs-059 by Michael, auf Flickr

Wow, that was one of the best days at the other end of the world. Setting up the tent in record time, I dive into the, which I avoid at the first visit, hot springs and then a longer dinner at the restaurant 31. https://www.tripadvisor.de/Restaurant_Review-g635990-d3224730-Reviews-No_31_Restaurant_Bar- Hanmer_Springs_Canterbury_Region_South_Island.html

I deserved that and a perfect end of a perfect day.
    Gunerdo, bobw, Shaggie and 1 other person like this.
  8. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My God are you lucky to live there.Good report.
    Shaggie likes this.
  9. stollenvernichter

Oddometer:
    Just say Mike and I'm not so lucky, I live in Germany. :D
  10. stollenvernichter

Oddometer:

Stage 14: Hanmer Springs – Akaroa

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 014 Hanmer Springs – Akaroa-000 by Michael, auf Flickr

Even the best holiday is coming to an end and so I saddle the Tenere, destination is the Banks peninsula southeast of Christchurch, was actually planned for the beginning of the journey. You have to cross the only access to Hanmer Springs, the Waiau Ferry Bridge.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 014 Hanmer Springs – Akaroa-002 by Michael, auf Flickr

After the bridge, an "adventure" provider has settled down, with the usual amusements such as bungy, jetboat, rafting etc.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 014 Hanmer Springs – Akaroa-005 by Michael, auf Flickr

Just stopped there to take a closer look at the bridge and then drove on through the Waiau valley.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 014 Hanmer Springs – Akaroa-003 by Michael, auf Flickr

Probably due to the pleasant temperature, no time pressure, holiday ....., a voice in my head said: Come on, Jetboat is definitely fun, with 80 km/h over knee-deep water, only in New Zealand. All right, the iron pig turned and I sign up. Just in time and 120 Dollar poorer, I enter the jetboat.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 014 Hanmer Springs – Akaroa-004 by Michael, auf Flickr

The rest of the passengers joined the rear seats, all right, I took a seat next to the driver. In a wide Kiwi English the safety briefing: Hold tight, no body parts overboard or into the water, do not get up and when he lets his index finger revolve an abrupt turnaround begins. Alright.

Turning the boat around, putting the thrust lever forward. Immediately I'm pressed into the seat and the canyon walls fly by, simply awesome. The boatman spins off his entire repertoire, tight bends, obstacles are circled in mm distance, with full throttle through narrowest side arms .... If fishermen are standing on the shore, he past slowly. Reasonable, but be honest, if I were a fish, I would go swimming elsewhere rather than in the demarcated river area where hectoliters of high pressure water are forced through the turbines with loud noise.

But definitely good spend money, here are some moving pictures from the net.

Hanmer Springs attractions

passengers

from the competition

Somewhat damp, but happy, I continued the tour. After the mountains, it becomes a bit monotonous in the plain, a good reason to orient myself more rural, hilly.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 014 Hanmer Springs – Akaroa-006 by Michael, auf Flickr

Which ended inevitably again on gravel with

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 014 Hanmer Springs – Akaroa-007 by Michael, auf Flickr

exotic plants.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 014 Hanmer Springs – Akaroa-008 by Michael, auf Flickr

Unfortunately, the planned bypass around Christchurch over the Lees Pass and Oxford ended at two thick barriers, which make the onward journey impossible. Also in New Zealand not everything is ridable.

After Christchurch, a small, local cloud bundle sends down some moisture, but disappears over the Banks peninsula.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 014 Hanmer Springs – Akaroa-009 by Michael, auf Flickr

Moisture is also expected on the following day, but in Akaroa apparently all solid accommodations are booked, so the camping ground remains left again.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 014 Hanmer Springs – Akaroa-011 by Michael, auf Flickr

with still sunny view.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 014 Hanmer Springs – Akaroa-010 by Michael, auf Flickr

The campground is located 50 meters above the sea and a narrow footpath leads into the village.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 014 Hanmer Springs – Akaroa-012 by Michael, auf Flickr

The good weather is still used for an outdoor meal, in The Bach http://akaroa.com/bach

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-003 by Michael, auf Flickr

If there is possibly an E missing, the pretty Czech waitress couldn't tell, but a short chat about Prague was fun. The present guitarist was also more oriented towards JJ Cale than Bach sonatas.

Apparently there are strict alcohol laws in New Zealand. A couple with a bottle of wine was asked by the waitress not to walk across the public street. The kiwi solution, two big coffee cups, wine to go.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 014 Hanmer Springs – Akaroa-013 by Michael, auf Flickr

The weather app hadn't promised too much, the next morning a fine but persistent rain caressed the tent.

I'm changed the play room into my working space, but Wi-Fi is slow and only 250 MB are free.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 014 Hanmer Springs – Akaroa-014 by Michael, auf Flickr

If the work is done, there is the TV lounge, a few old sofas, a flat screen and a small electric heater, which makes sense, since the temperature has adapted to the bleak outlook, but they got a Sky subscription.

On time, when the stomach asked for a filling, a gap in the clouds opened and a dry visit to the next best restaurant became possible. The next one can delete, in the https://www.mamaison.co.nz/ you are well served, with beautiful views of the bay and the served food. Eating well, but sleep in the tent, for some people a strange combination, I do not care. [​IMG]
    bobw and Shaggie like this.
  11. stollenvernichter

Oddometer:

Stage 15: Akaroa – Christchurch

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-000 by Michael, auf Flickr

No big program today, I've booked a B&B in Christchurch, if necessary I'll be there in an hour. But the weather is blue again, no need for a inhouse breakfast.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-002 by Michael, auf Flickr

not with a pot pourri, but with a pot of tea and some pancakes.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-001 by Michael, auf Flickr

If that seems a bit French, he pictured it right.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-004 by Michael, auf Flickr

The pancakes are a bit heavy on the stomach, a good reason to walk through the town.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-006 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-007 by Michael, auf Flickr

Expectantly I follow the Lighthouse Road, hoping to see a beautiful old lighthouse.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-009 by Michael, auf Flickr

Instead there is a small, white something. The Old Tower was dismantled and rebuilt elsewhere. http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/canterbury/places/banks-peninsula-area/historic-akaroa-head/

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-008 by Michael, auf Flickr

The return way view compensated the non existing tower.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-010 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-012 by Michael, auf Flickr

The entrance to the Scenic or Summit Route is near the campsite and isn't called summit for nothing, it runs on the former crater rim and provides pretty views,

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-013 by Michael, auf Flickr

but shouldn't enjoyd while driving.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-014 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-015 by Michael, auf Flickr

The summer is weakening, the track not.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-016 by Michael, auf Flickr
    B10Dave and Shaggie like this.
  12. stollenvernichter

Oddometer:
    In the Okains Bay is a museum about Maori culture and the first European settlers. Didn't notice much Maori stuff, neither on buildings, nor on residents, I take the junction to the bay.

But first visting the beach.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-017 by Michael, auf Flickr

No one there. 10 degrees warmer, I would peel myself out of clothes, so I fight only with curious gulls.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-019 by Michael, auf Flickr

and motives.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-020 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-021 by Michael, auf Flickr

Reaching the museum on the way back.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-063 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-064 by Michael, auf Flickr

Well invested 10 Dollar.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-062 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-060 by Michael, auf Flickr

Very rustic living in the 19th century.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-027 by Michael, auf Flickr

German quality

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-026 by Michael, auf Flickr

affordable service prices

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-024 by Michael, auf Flickr

antique Facebook

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-028 by Michael, auf Flickr

Self-defense was not a problem

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-059 by Michael, auf Flickr

Amazon anno 1856

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-057 by Michael, auf Flickr

What is wrong with this picture?

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-058 by Michael, auf Flickr

The Maori were also resilient.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-052 by Michael, auf Flickr

Old bones, the giant bird Moa unfortunately had the misfortune to be exterminated by the Maoris.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-044 by Michael, auf Flickr

although they knew how to use knives with more sense.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-045 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-049 by Michael, auf Flickr

Although I had some doubts about a few description, stones for soft tapping of clothing, for shure.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-048 by Michael, auf Flickr

There were ritual model houses,

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-053 by Michael, auf Flickr

but also real buildings.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-029 by Michael, auf Flickr

Inside carving

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-032 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-038 by Michael, auf Flickr

and I think these gentlemen wasn't the kind one.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-041 by Michael, auf Flickr

Otherwise, at that time an exchange of all kinds took place between the Europeans and the Maoris. The huts of the brothers of his Maori wife were quickly burned because she went fishing with them. Verbal conflict resolution wasn't invented.

Depart, I drive the same route back to Summit Road. Not necessary, a narrow connecting road leads to the next bay to Little Akaloa, if anyone is in the area.

The gray meanders its way perfectly through the green

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-065 by Michael, auf Flickr

with a view of blue.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-066 by Michael, auf Flickr

A lovely bench mark.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-068 by Michael, auf Flickr

Leaving the Summit Road, turning towards Pigeon Bay.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-069 by Michael, auf Flickr

travelling from bay to bay.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-070 by Michael, auf Flickr

After Port Ley it gets steep and quite dark

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-071 by Michael, auf Flickr

and behind the northern hills of Purau Bay lies Christchurch.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 015 Akaroa – Christchurch-072 by Michael, auf Flickr

The last fun part, driving over the Dykers Pass. Getting through the rush hour of Christchurch to the Airport Fish B&B. It is in the same area when I arrived, not far from the airport, for two nights 140 Dollar are ok and the Tenere is safe in the backyard. The accommodation is simple, compared to my previous stays. I get something to eat , a little walk and a long sleep.
    Gunerdo, bobw, oldbeer and 1 other person like this.
  13. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that Mike.
  14. stollenvernichter

Oddometer:

Stage 16: Christchurch - Leithfield

The end is near, at least my stay in New Zealand. Till afternoon, the Yamaha must be back in the stable, still time to see Christchurch.

Graffiti seems to be popular on new or damaged earthquake buildings.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 016 Christchurch - Leithfield-001 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 016 Christchurch - Leithfield-003 by Michael, auf Flickr

The supply of spray cans is no problem.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 016 Christchurch - Leithfield-004 by Michael, auf Flickr

After seven years, you can still see traces of the quake.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 016 Christchurch - Leithfield-005 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 016 Christchurch - Leithfield-002 by Michael, auf Flickr

But antique trams go through new shopping streets.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 016 Christchurch - Leithfield-007 by Michael, auf Flickr

The river Avon meanders through the city, on the banks the only dangerous animals in New Zeeland.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 016 Christchurch - Leithfield-009 by Michael, auf Flickr

A few meters away, the quake monument.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 016 Christchurch - Leithfield-008 by Michael, auf Flickr

Do or Don't, the reconstruction of the cathedral

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 016 Christchurch - Leithfield-013 by Michael, auf Flickr

or other "antique" building,

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 016 Christchurch - Leithfield-014 by Michael, auf Flickr

but some modern art in urban space.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 016 Christchurch - Leithfield-012 by Michael, auf Flickr

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 016 Christchurch - Leithfield-015 by Michael, auf Flickr

The summer is giving his best, which makes a sightseeing in motorcycle clothes not easier, I finish it. There is a nice park and gondola somewhere, but I have to agree with the guide book, Christchurch is no must visit.

In half an hour I am at the home of the Yamaha, confess the missing turn signal, but otherwise the dirty Tenere carry me about 4200 km without complaining through New Zealand.

[​IMG]Neuseeland 2018 Gesamtstrecke by Michael, auf Flickr

GPS Track https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=pmnhouncddhrsyda

Andrea drives me back to my B&B, nice to meet you. Well, in the small park behind my home I enjoy the sun with milk, biscuits and something to read..

On the small traffic exercise site, a family tries to teach their offspring the fine art of two-wheeled driving. Should I warn her? After all, this is a kind of entry-level drug to larger vehicles, probably with an engine.

Back to Germany

Christchurch Airport. Strangely enough, my suitcase with the same content weighs 32 kg, increased gravity in New Zealand? Solution, the jacket comes out. Unfortunately, I had forgotten that in one of the thousand pockets still slumbers a pocketknife. It was woken up by an attentive airport staff member and allowed to stay in New Zealand, lucky knife. Whether I have a check mark on Potential Assassin?

We take off, land briefly in Australia, take off again and fly with the darkness to Dubai. They can build tall, nice houses there, but no scoreboards. Small writing and the 10 second change of the two display columns do not make it easier for old people to find their connection flight. But what are these cameras with phone function for? A few hours later we arrive in Dusseldorf. It's gray, the weather has the same color, the temperature is single-digit, what am I doing here?

The apartment door closes, everyday life catches up with you. If jet lag had left me alone in New Zealand, it hit me harder in my home country. Three days I ran around like counterfeit money, with subsequent cold ..........

But would i did it again? You bet!

A small travel supplement. A Yamaha turn signal costs $ 40 and 12 km/h too fast $ 80.

[​IMG]Neuseeland Speeding Fine by Michael, auf Flickr
    Gunerdo, B10Dave, jwc and 2 others like this.
  15. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed this report very much. Thanks for taking the time to post it. Especially enjoyed the well chosen and witty words.
    Pity about the ticket...better pay it or they wont let you back in next time :)
  16. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Fantastic trip and your report is "top shelf" in every way! Thank you for taking us along.....

Cheers
  17. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    A great read! Glad you got see a bit of our wee country and that the weather was pretty good for you.
  18. milknosugar

milknosugar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report. Very well written and interesting to have different take on places us kiwis are familiar with. I think the prices for accommodation is pretty eye watering especially when we have stayed in Europe for much cheaper

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk