Breaking a disc lock

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by eastbloc, Feb 13, 2004.

1. eastbloc

eastbloc comprador bourgeois

Oddometer:
    I lost my keys, and I need to remove my disc lock. I could try to find a cooperative locksmith, but this is NYC and it would likely run me $200. I'd rather spend the $200 on tools to remove it myself.

Question is, can you hacksaw through a Kryptonite disc lock? Is there some other method that might work? Liquid nitrogen seems like a troublesome option...
  2. TXGSrider

TXGSrider IBA #11007

Oddometer:
    How about using a dremel with a cutting wheel? Just slide it down to cut the locking pin on both sides and you're good to go. Just be very careful to not cut the brake disk itself.
  3. cyclecat

cyclecat half post a day wonder

Oddometer:
    How about remove the wheel, then unbolt the disc from the wheel.

If it's a twin disc wheel, you can wedge something in the empty caliper to keep the pads apart and still ride the bike until you get the lock removed.

It'll be a lot cheaper to take the disc & lock to the locksmith, than to have him come to you.
  4. eastbloc

Oddometer:
    A fine suggestion. I thought about it, but I don't have my tools in the city, and I don't think the GS toolkit is sufficient for removing a wheel. Or is it? I could even just bring the wheel to the locksmith, haha.
  5. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Pneumatic anglegrinder?

Can you contact the manufacturer of the lock with the number and ask for a new key?
  6. eastbloc

Oddometer:
    By the time I get a replacement key I will have amassed an inordinate number of alternate-side parking tickets :)
  7. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Yeah It is,,actually that is the whole point ofa toolkit.

actually is really easy,you need a 8MM for the calipers(or a big torxs if you bike is from the last two years) 6MM to losee the lock at the axle and a 17MM wrench the same you use for the rear wheel.

actually if you figure out the proper tool you can just take the rotor,,a Hack saw will not do anything to the super harden steel but a 4 1/2" with a cutting wheel will do just make sure you have your paper with you just in case a cop comes around,or you can always find one of those super well know new york bicycle thieves
  8. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    Makita Grinder, I had too remove a full sized kryptonite U lock. Worked like a charm. Probably less than $80 at the local Home Depot. Get a spare abrasive blade as they wear down as you use them. Lots of sparks, cover anything you don't ruin. Good Luck.
  9. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    Here it is : $59.99
  10. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    If you never use safety glassesthis is a good reason and a place to start,,also be super carefull of not forcing(bending) the cutting disc in funny angles because they are prone to desintegrate and for sure that is not fun specially on bare skin,,another sugestion is to try to hold the lock as rigid as you can to avoid wasting energy and possible failures..

is a Five minute job max,,just use you head to avoid problems,and be glad you did not have a Cobra Link then you will be in really big trouble since they much harder to cut
  11. eastbloc

Oddometer:
    Maybe I can drill through the tumbler?
  12. eastbloc

Oddometer:
    Should I use a cutoff wheel or a grinding wheel?
  13. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Cutoff is far better because you can cut true the material,,oviuslly you need to cut the smallest part,,aka the U part.

about drilling the tumbler the new generation krptonite's self lock even if the tumbler is gone to avoid exaclly that.

just go and get the drinder and big extension cord and all you papers so nobody confuse you with a bike thief
  14. eastbloc

Oddometer:
    Mine is ancient and doesn't self-lock... would it be easier to drill? I've got that here, the grinder is in NJ and I don't have any grinding wheels for it. God dammit.
  15. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    Grinder is a sure thing. I used a grinding wheel, cuz thats what I had. I think grinding wheels are thicker so you probably have to remove more material to get the job done. I am only familiar with cut off wheels for Dremels and they are not up to this task.

DITTO on what Ricardo said...GLOVES, LONG SLEEVE SHIRT,LONG PANTS, LEATHER SHOES AND EYE PROTECTION. The sparks will melt right through synthetic running shoes and burrow into your foot(speaking from experience).
  16. eastbloc

Oddometer:
    Grinder acquired. Grinding commencing...

I didn't even get a ticket. Lucky Friday 13th!
  17. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    anybody else feel like we just helped this guy rip off a motorcycle? :scratch

:lol2
  18. eastbloc

Oddometer:
    Muhaha! I'll be selling it next, real cheap. '01 R1150GS, $5000. Just please wire the money to my bank account in Lagos... I'll ship it anywhere, free!
  19. Dick

Dick Its a big old goofy world

Oddometer:
    No more than $4,500 in small bills - but I will deliver - can you throw in a clean set of plates as well :evil
  20. eastbloc

Oddometer:
    I got diverted -- I'm having a pre-grinding mimosa...