Brian's First Ride Report: Mexico 2019

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by LogHouseBikers, Jan 6, 2019.

1. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am new to the "ride report" mind-set, AND this is my first real attempt at documenting my motorcycle travels. Please be patient with me as I muddle my way through. :hmmmmm

I am heading out tomorrow on an @ 2 month(?) motorcycle trip in Mexico. I am riding a new 2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan. I have utilized info found on the Himalayan thread here at ADVRider to equip and set-up the bike. I hope I did OK. If not... Oh well. It will have to do for this trip. Pictures tomorrow!

I have a general focus on this trip: to rule in/out locations/areas where my best friend (and wife of 30+ years) and I are going to considering retiring to. She would love to be accompanying me, but alas, she still has to work. (I recently re-retired.) Our criteria for a locale includes being near the sea/ocean since we SCUBA also. That dictates my trip to generally hug the coastline. My route plan is "vague/roughed" with no absolute dates or specific stops, save a few where we have "time-share" properties where I can stop and take a break/rest and regroup as needed.

My starting point is Yuma, Arizona. I will cross the border at San Luis, AZ and head down the east coast of Baja, to Cabo (with stops along the way). After that it's La Paz for the ferry to Mazatlan. From there I intend to to travel down the Pacific coast, eventually reaching Cancun and that area.

The return trip has yet to be considered, with the ideas of revisiting any place I might think needs more evaluation and exploring, ultimately traveling north up the coastline from Mazatlan back to Yuma.

I hope not to bore you from here on out, should you choose to follow my travel. Again, this is my first try for documenting my adventures, so consider me a novice writer.

Here I go......!
    BillO1s, damasovi, Warebear and 27 others like this.
  2. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have a safe trip!!! Looking forward to this! Cheers!
  3. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Watch thread. CLICK, subscribed :-)
  4. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Brian, make sure you are taking 1-2 gallons of gas in some container. I’ve heard Baja California towards Cabo have few far in between gas stops, and some may contain residue of water in their tanks. After that you should be okay.

Anyone please correct me if I am wrong, perhaps gas facilities changed in the last few years.
  5. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dive with seals and whale sharks @ La Paz BCS
  6. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Subscribed. :lurk Have a great time. :clap
  7. edstoll

edstoll OPD-2019 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great start. Hope to see you somewhere.
  8. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads-up. 2.75 gallons in the RotoPax! The Himalayan has a 225-250 mile range on it's tank (4 gallons @ 60+ mpg), so adding the extra I should have a 400+ range. I hear there have been some gasoline supply problems lately, so here's to hoping I have it covered!
    damasovi likes this.
  9. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    If you stick to the main road (Mx 1) the only area that could be problematic depending on your range is going through the Catavina desert, you need to fill up in El Rosario which is the last official station, as there are no more stations until just north of Guererro Negro, maybe 225 miles so not awful. There are guys in Catavina that you will see sell on the side of the road out of barrels that you can buy if you do cannot make it, but after those guys you are on your own.

Once you go off into the more rural areas you just have to plan a bit better, but overall more gas stations have opened over the years. Places that didn't have stations before like Gonzaga Bay or Bahia de los Angeles now have stations, but there is always a chance they are out, and there are still areas that do not have stations that require you to buy from locals, but for general travel up and down the 1 you only need to really worry about Catavina, otherwise just fill up when you have the oppertunity.

This may change as Mexico is having a bit of a gas crisis at the moment, I am crossing in a few weeks so will be watching this report for gas updates.
  10. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I am starting down MX5 through San Felipe. I have traveled this route previously (on my Harley!) and except for the "construction zone" before 5 connects to 1, gas wasn't difficult to locate. My thinking is that I carry enough fuel to get from San Felipe all the way to Loreto, and there are places in between where I fueled up then so I should be OK. BDLA is one of my stops so hearing that they have a station is reassuring.
  11. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    Good luck Brian! Looking forward to following along.
  12. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    12 posts in and no pictures yet?
    What kind of second rate ride report is this?

:hide
    BubbaMc, LumpyOne and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  13. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    About to head out. Next stop... Border crossing...

Here are photos of the bike loaded to go...

My riding buddy Groot is also excited. Hanging on for the ride!
    IMG-0011.JPG IMG-0012.JPG IMG-0014.JPG IMG-0015.JPG
  14. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    A couple more photos...
    IMG-0018.JPG IMG-0019.JPG
    Halen, locrwln, Gordon and 14 others like this.
  15. Phlyn' Phil

Phlyn' Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dont forget youre TVIP for the bike at the border.
  16. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  17. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
  18. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like your set up but one word of caution. The gas can on the side of your bike could be a problem if you lay it down on that side and it slides long enough to wear a hole and gas leaks out while you are sliding.
    Sorry to say but I’m speaking from experience. I recommend you carry the gas can where it will not rub if you end up sliding the bike or strap I’d so it could break lose.
    Have fun and enjoy the ride.
    Conrete likes this.
  19. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great set-up. Let us know how the Himalayan performs.
  20. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    Plenty of gas on hwy 1. No worries.
    We be in La Bufadora today, Catavina tomorrow

Safe travels.