Brian's First Ride Report: Mexico 2019

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by LogHouseBikers, Jan 6, 2019.

1. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hostel Paakal from the outside (in the morning)...
    IMG_0492.JPG IMG_0490.JPG IMG_0493.JPG
    Breakfast at the hostel...
    IMG_0483.JPG
  2. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    Day 30, February 6th. The ride to Akumal was generally uneventful.

When I arrived in Akumal I stopped at the OXXO for a water and to locate my hotel. Was approached by 2 young men, one of which wanted to ask about my motorcycle. Thought it was a vintage machine. (I like how that draws people in.) Turns out he, Sergio, has a bike and rides with a small group that like to go to the various Mayan Ruins scattered about this part of Mexico. Showed me lots of pictures, and made suggestions of a couple that are "must see's". When I return with Margaret (wife) we will definitely check them out.
    At the first ending of our chatting, I noticed the other guy, Misial, was wearing a t-shirt from a local SCUBA shop, so asked about it. Turns out it is where they both work. That, of course, started a whole new conversation. Once I got checked into my hotel I went back to that SCUBA shop and booked a dive for the next day. More on that later...

Got to my hotel, Villas de Tortugas, located in "the jungle", about 5 minutes away, on the Cancun side. A very boutique place.

Some pictures of my bungalow...
    IMG_0514.JPG IMG_0516.JPG IMG_0515.JPG
  3. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer:
    Pics of the guard dog or it never happened!

Getting to the good stuff now Brian!
    I wish I were there.
  4. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    Day 31, February 7, 2019.
    Went SCUBA diving today, in Cenotes. Hmmm... what are Cenotes? They are actually holes in the ground (usually substantial sizes), full of water, that lead to underground caverns that are also full of water. These are scattered all over the Yucatan peninsula, especially in the state of Quintana Roo. Many have been developed into swimming locations frequented by the tourists and locals alike. They are promoted and treated in the same manner as the many ancient ruins also located in this area.
    I could go on and on how they are/were geologically formed and how they ended up full of water and... Anyway... imagine an undergound cavern with stalgmites and stalagtites and all the other formations you find there. Fill that up with water, and then go explore them with your SCUBA equipment.
    I wish I had an underwater camera! This was phenominal! All the formations, the tunels and caves, and, and...
    Now step back and try to imagine the scenes from The Matrix, or the Star Trek movies where they just start going into warp speed, when the scene gets all pixelated and fuzzy... Or if you may have been one of those people who might have experimented with "mind alterring" chemicals (I never ever,... honestly). There are locations in these underwater caverns where a river, sometimes fresh water sometimes salt water, leaks/seeps/enters into the existing water. Slow moving flows of water at a noticeable different temperature and density. When you swim into this "layer", a phenom called a "Halo-clyne" (I think), the water suddenly looks like the afore mentioned scenes. Everything gets blurry and rippely, and maybe disorienting. I'm not sure that I can acurately descride the feeling. It was amazing!
    The negative side of this, for me, was after I got out of the water. My head was still spinning and I had difficulty with my equilibrium. Actually so much that I got sick. It was as if I was sea-sick, for those of us who have had that experience. Glad I had a very light breakfast. Messed me up for the rest of the day.
    IMG_0503.JPG IMG_0507.JPG IMG_0511.JPG
  5. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    Here is the video I was waiting on...

And another I found when locating the one I did...
  6. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    I couldn't find him either. But the sign was on my bungalow porch. (Bungalow was the "Chihuahua.") Maybe he was on lunch break at Taco Bell?
    Davidprej likes this.
  7. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    Maybe it was a joke being the name of the bungalow was the Chihuahua
  8. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    Ooohhhh! (:lol2 I actually new that, and I hope Fish did also. )
    All the bungalows had a name, so I assume some kind of theme. I also assume similar types of "cute" things.
    Burro driver likes this.
  9. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    Day 32 started with laundry. The management allowed me to use the service washer and dryer in the morning. At noon-ish a realtor came and picked me up to look at some properties being developed in Tulum (another town close by, that is being said to be the next big rush in Riviera Maya land development.) Not that I was really looking for homes per se... but trying to get some idea what was happening in the area, and what price tags were associated.
    Made a quick stop at the beach in Tulum...
    IMG_0543.JPG IMG_0544.JPG
    roadcapDen and Davidprej like this.
  10. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    After the realtor trip, I had a change in venue, since my stay at Villas de Totugas was for 2 nights and they were full for the next few days. With their help I had booked a very similar place about 500-600 meters up the dirt road, ECO Maya Hotel. It was another great place, in the same fashion as VdT.
    IMG_0548.JPG IMG_0551.JPG IMG_0546.JPG
    Here they have the whole family involved. My new friend, Paco the bell-man...
    IMG_0545.JPG
    I don't fully understand, but he somehow broke his wrist in the doorway. Said it really hurt.
  11. Cameleer

Cameleer Europe, three days at a time.

Oddometer:
    So sad to hear that they will start “developing” that area as well, soon there will be nothing left. I lived in the area in ‘91 and it was still true paradise then, a small two-lane highway covered at spots under the jungle canopy, you could almost touch tucanos and other wildlife.
    Oh well... long live progress!
    Burro driver likes this.
  12. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    Still trying to get caught up on the ride report.

Day 33 February 9th... Left Akumal, Cancun bound. Playa del Carmen and Cancun have really grown since I was here 4-5(?) years ago. The road is mostly straight, and very busy. No time/room to sight-see while navigating.

After Cancun I headed to Rio Lagartos. Not sure who told me I should go there, but glad they did. It is a quiet fishing village, with lots of charm.
    IMG_0555.JPG IMG_0556.JPG IMG_0557.JPG IMG_0560.JPG
  13. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    Had dinner by the water. Fresh Barracuda!
    IMG_0559.JPG
    IMG_0561.JPG
    The sunset was pretty.
    IMG_0558.JPG
  14. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    Day 34... Sunday. Would have been a good day to stay in one town, as they all seemed to have a festival or celebration going on.
    Little beach towns today. San Felipe, then some great little back-roads to Dzilam d Bravo. Follow the coast road, 27, to Prgresso, and local roads to Chelem and Chuburna.
    This stretch of road following the water took me back in time to growing up in Pensacola, Florida. Following the beach from P-cola, east to Navarre and beyond, where the houses are spaced apart, leaving access to beach between most of them. Sometimes the spacing was miles. The dunes and bushes/trees blocked your view, but you knew the beach was right there just on the other side. You could smell the sea (gulf) and hear the waves as they splashed on the shore. Oh... sorry... was lost in memories.
    So, this stretch is similar to that. The houses all have names, like Casa Flamingo, Del Sol, Las Dolphines, and my favorite Ooh-Ya-Ya! The towns were small with a beach atmosphere. The feel was a slower pace, with a more relaxed agenda. Rest, or walk on the beach with no schedule. When I could see the water it was an Emerald Green, so rich and contrasting to the sand, I found myself mesmerized momentarily. Almost forgot I was riding the bike.

Lunch was in the town of Sisal. Another good beach area.
    IMG_0563.JPG IMG_0564.JPG IMG_0565.JPG
    I think it is more of a blue- collar mexican tourist town. I only saw 3 other non-mexicans while I was there. All the people looked like the working class of any society. Families and friends, enjoying a Sunday at the beach. Felt good to be there. I enjoyed my shrimp lunch...
    IMG_0566.JPG
  15. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    While in Sisal, I was approached by this young couple, who were also enjoying a ride to the beach on his bike.
    IMG_0570.JPG
    Reminded me of the early days for my wife and I, when the motorcycle was the "bait", as it were, to attract the interests of the young lady. They had the same enthusiasm I remember of young love.
    The camaraderie of the motorcycle can break through the international barriers, as well as the age one.
  16. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    After Sisal, it was on to Celestun. This place had a little more of the expected "Mexico Tourist Town" atmosphere. More foreign tourists than Sisal. Another nice place. Found a beachfront restaurant to have dinner and people watch. And to catch the sunset.
    IMG_0581.JPG IMG_0575.JPG IMG_0577.JPG IMG_0578.JPG
  17. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    The hotel is old and the room is very small, but it is clean. And they have great motorcycle parking! (My room is the green and red trimmed window and door.)
    IMG_0573.JPG IMG_0574.JPG

The last 45 seconds of the day...
  18. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think maybe you had a few cervezas while filming that scene, the camera sure was shakey! :beer
  19. dsflyhigh

dsflyhigh n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR. Safe travels the rest of your journey.
  20. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    Brian , supurb ride report, great pics and mini-me movies. I'm enjoying reading your report while we have 6" snow up here in WW. Makes me want to get out and ride.
    Have you had to use your Roto-Pak gas containers yet for lack of gas?
    Do you think the Himalian will be wore out when you get back home or good for another trip?
    Any problems or scares with banditos or cartels?
    Looks like the trip of a lifetime only to be bettered by having Margaret along, Rob
    Davidprej likes this.