Brian's First Ride Report: Mexico 2019

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by LogHouseBikers, Jan 6, 2019.

1. BimmerJAG

BimmerJAG One of these days...

Oddometer:
    damasovi likes this.
  2. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Right on Brian...looking forward to following along. The toughest part is posting updates along the road, some have the knack and some don't. The main thing is to enjoy the ride and be safe. Throw us a picture and story when you can. Be sure to say hello to Hells along the way.
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  3. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Following along. I love the bike choice, water is so easy to find you may not need the water RotoPax unless you are camping a lot?
  4. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Day 1: Yuma, AZ to San Felipe, Baja CA.

Finally on my way around 11 am. Tried capturing some video with the GoPro (my daughter loaned me), but having some troubles. Maybe I can post some of it...

First real stop was the border crossing at San Luis AZ, south of Yuma. I had to go back and forth between 2 buildings/offices about 3 times each office, so much I think I know what a ping-pong ball feels like. 1+ hours later I was finally all papered and heading on my way. The officials were polite, and considerate of my "first time" confusion. Besides... what's the rush? I don't have that far to go today.

Following the GPS proved to be a bit confusing. Starting in San Luis it had me winding back and forth through residential neighborhoods trying to get headed south. At one point it took me by way of extremely rough un-paved roads through what appeared to be a land-fill. Seriously, not just a trashy area. Piles of garbage half buried by large dozers and such. The travel was so rough it shook the GPS mount loose. I had to stop when I found pavement again and re-mount it. It was a good first run at accessing the tool tubes on the road. The process went as smooth as I envisioned, (imagine my surprise!), and it took less than 15 minutes to be back in the saddle with the GPS back in play. For a short time anyway. (Well damn. My emoji's aren't working.) It seems my USB charging ports have lost their power. Don't know if a wire has come loose or fuse has blown or...? I will check it out in the morning. The result was the GPS battery going dead, and having to get out my cell phone to use Google Maps to find my way to Mx 5 south.

Eventually I made it to San Felipe, Baja California. North of SF I could see what appeared to be an ugly storm brewing out in the Sea of Cortez. The temperature was dropping rapidly as well. Getting closer it turned out to be a massive bank of very thick, wet fog blowing in. A slow, short mile(?) or so and poof! It cleared right up! Rolled into town with relatively clear skies, albeit rather cold. A chilly 61 degrees!

I was waiting for a response to an Airbnb request so decided to stop for some Tacos de Pescado on the Malecon. It was cold and slightly breezy on the waterfront, but the Tacos were hot and yummy. So much so I forgot to take a snapshot before I gobbled them right up! At least I did get some photos of the bay and the Taco stand. And, of course, the bike. 56860072506--2A42C854-FE9B-4A43-8157-6495939FC44D.JPG San Felipe 1.JPG San Felipe 1.JPG
    After eating and waiting for what seemed like an eternity, I finally gave up on the Airbnb request. It had gotten dark, and I had vowed to be settled each night before dark, so I made a quick zip south of town (on Mx 5) and checked into the Hotel Los Angeles for the night. Too cold to camp! A warm room and a hot shower should prepare me for tomorrow...

Until then...
    56861295116--2B4957F9-A971-48C0-8E0E-787B623B82E0.JPG
    All is well while while Groot keeps a watch over things, and me!

Attached Files:

damasovi, locrwln, Pete S and 16 others like this.
  5. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    On a side note, I plan to do a better job of getting pictures as I go. Maybe a video or 2 also. Still trying to get it figured out. :scratch
    Davidprej and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  6. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Good start Brian. I hope you have paper maps with you to refer to when your GPS and Phone aren't being cooperative.
    kleinergti1 likes this.
  7. edstoll

edstoll OPD-2019 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking good. Keep posting. Personally I don't do any routing with the GPS. I just use it as a map. I look at it to see where I want to go and then as I go it shows me where I am along the way. I think using it to route you can get you screwed up.
  8. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    Awoke early and grabbed these sunrise pics. IMG-0027.JPG IMG-0028.JPG IMG-0029.JPG

My USB port power issue is not the fuse. :dirtdog
    But my emojis are working again!
    Gordon, Pete S, RevyRider and 2 others like this.
  9. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    USB port problem diagnosed! The round thingy broke off of the rectangular whatchamacallit IMG-0030.JPG IMG-0031.JPG (that lives in the black plastic do-hicky.)
    Gordon, joenuclear, Ladybug and 2 others like this.
  10. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    Signed in for this one. You got the scenic tour of San Luis. Interested in a road update on the way through Coco's to Hwy 1.
  11. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    I'm in, wifey and I are planning a short excursion in to Baja in may while out in Ca for a wedding. I have to get my set up for loading my bike in the bed of my truck or plan to take a trailer.
  12. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can already tell this is going to be a great adventure. Ride on Ride safe.
    Thanks for sharing.
  13. MitchG

MitchG Iron Collector

Oddometer:
    Looks like a nice, relatively light setup. Only thing that jumped out at me was the same as RW, the Rotopax location if you have to "lay her down"(you mentioned a Harley, so I just had to.......lol). FWIW, I almost always get hassled at the border if I have gas in my cans, "no importa gasolina", so I usually just fill them after crossing.
  14. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    Day 2: Settled in for the next 2 nights in Bahia de los Angeles. Got a cute cabin right on the beach at Campo Archelon. IMG-0071.JPG
    Great ride today. No GPS so had to travel on memory and what info I could get on my phone's saved google maps. Did just fine. My Gopro battery died right away, so no video.
    South from San Felipe I ran into MASSIVE road construction! Much of the pavement is gone, and replacement is slow. Also, it appears that mother nature was very active at taking out bridges and sections of road since last year. I managed to get photos at 1 place before my phone gave a "low battery" message, so declined to repeat similar pictures at every spot. Glad I was on the bike! At one place 2 semi's were blocking the entire detour road in a "face-off" near the bottom of a wash. Both were facing down hill and unable to back up very far. I was told they had been jockeying back and forth for 30 minutes trying to create passing space. There was room enough for me... but no cars were getting through yet. One pick up was stuck in the sand of the wash having tried to go around them. People were not happy there. I chose to scoot past and get out of the area before tempers got any further out of hand! IMG-0036.JPG IMG-0037.JPG IMG-0038.JPG
    damasovi, Gordon, LumpyOne and 3 others like this.
  15. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
  16. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    I wasn't even questioned crossing with full rotopax. Hmmm. Especially right now with the gasoline issues in Mexico.

As to the mounting location, I had the same concerns. I would love to hear the story RW has (perhaps over a cup of coffee, or...) I'm sure it would be interesting. However, in looking at lots of photos, it seems a regular placement by others as well. And the way I ride, I'm thinking, if I slide it in a fashion that wears a hole in the rotopax, I probably have much bigger issues than spilling/losing a gallon of fuel. Just the same, I appreciate the willingness to bring it up. As I continue to equip for longer trips I may reconsider the location.
    Davidprej likes this.
  17. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    Sorry it took so long to respond to you. I also had some concern. I would love to hear your story sometime, perhaps over a cup of coffee of something?
    Anyway, I looked at lots of pictures and this seems to be a common location in other places. Also, with the way and places I ride, if I slide long enough to wear a hole in the RP I probably have bigger problems than lost/leaking fuel. Just saying...
    Still, thanks for the input. I may decide to re-arrange down the line.
  18. Motogasoline

Motogasoline Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm jealous. Good luck on your trip! How do you like the bike so far?
    LumpyOne likes this.
  19. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    Stopped for lunch at La Poma/Bufeo. Fish Taco's!

Continuing south I encountered the construction zone I rode through last year (on my Harley!) Last year was 21 miles/1 hr 45 mins. This year it was much improved, 14+ miles/40+ minutes. Lots of barely graded dirt, only saw 2 other vehicles the entire dirt section, 1 each direction. 1 car/1 SUV. (Other than the construction vehicles at the location where they were working.) Once I cleared the dirt section the pristine new pavement was a relief.
    Dropping into Bahia de los Angeles the vista was spectacular.

I have more pictures to attach, but am experiencing difficulties getting them from my phone. And I am tired.
    Tomorrow is a rest day, so if I can get the pictures transferred I will post them. If not tomorrow, then in the next few days I'm sure.
    Talk at later...

BTW: Groot really enjoyed the Taco's!
    RevyRider and Davidprej like this.
  20. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    Loving it! Goes like a Mule. Not fast, but where ever I point it.