British Columbia to Utah – 3,115 Miles in 7 Days on an Indian Scout 60

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by EPOCH6, Jun 21, 2018.

1. EPOCH6

EPOCH6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey fellas, this may be a bit overkill for a first post but seeing as there doesn't appear to be introduction threads around here I'll just go ahead and jump in with both feet. I'm Dan, I'm 24, I ride dirt, street, choppers, mini-bikes, 3-wheelers, quads, shopping carts, pogo sticks, and whatever else I can jump on to keep my heart rate up. Below is an outline of my most recent trip, by far my most ambitious thus far, that I embarked on last month with less than a year of street riding experience. I picked up the Scout 60 back in January for a change of pace after putting 20,000 km on a 2009 KLX250S in 8 months, I've put 22,000 km on the Scout in 5.5 months and have loved every minute of it, though I still consider myself more of a dirt rider than street. Anyway, I've lurked ADVRider for almost a year now and figure I've compiled enough stories to start sharing em', here's the first:

The Plan:
    My original plan was a solo trip through WA, OR, ID, UT, and MT to explore, photograph, and document ghost towns, historical ruins, and any other run-down buildings along the way, sleeping on stranger’s couches each night (easier to arrange and safer to do than you’d think in the world of 2018). This is something I’ve been doing in British Columbia for several years. I planned the route about 2 months ago and haven’t shut up about it since. In the meantime, my father grew more interested in the idea of joining me but didn’t have a suitable bike for the long haul. He tried out my Scout 60 once, immediately fell in love with it, and bought one of his own 2 weeks later in the same color, same year, and same package (cringe). Coming from a lifetime of riding rigid frame choppers almost exclusively the Scout was comfortable enough for him to decide that he would join me under the condition that we stay in motels on his dime, no couches. Sounds good to me! Leading up to May the route transformed into more of a take-it-as-you-go tour through Utah than a precise hop between ghost towns and ruins.

The Bikes:
    - 2018 Scout 60, ~7500 miles, Michelin Commander II’s, Barnett Clutch Cable, PVCX Fuel Moto stock tune, drilled stock pipes w/ CAT intact, stock air box, seat, handlebars, no windshield, backpack.

- 2018 Scout 60, ~600 miles, stock Kendas, stock ECU, Paughco goose cut straight pipes, stock air box, stock seat, mini-apes, old leather saddlebags, National Cycles luggage rack, no windshield.

The Route:
    ~3115 mile round trip from Chilliwack, BC to several national parks and scenic routes in WA, OR, ID, NV, and UT.

Day 1 - 805 km: Chilliwack, BC > Bellingham, WA > Seattle, WA > Olympia, WA > Portland, OR > Hood River, OR > Hermiston, OR

Day 2 - 830 km: Hermiston, OR > La Grande, OR > Baker City, OR > Ontario, OR > Nampa, ID > Twin Falls, ID > Jackpot, NV > Wells, NV > Wendover, UT

Day 3 - 600 km: Wendover, UT > Bonneville Salt Flats, UT > Salt Lake City, UT > Soldier Summit, UT > Price, UT > Green River, UT > San Rafael Swell, UT

Day 4 - 600 km: Green River, UT > Dead Horse / Canyonlands / Arches National Park, UT > Moab, UT > Monticello, UT > Blanding, UT > Glen Canyon, UT > Hanksville, UT

Day 5 - 850 km: Hanksville, UT > Capitol Reef National Park, UT > Fruita, UT > Torrey, UT > Loa, UT > Scipio, UT > Payson, UT > Salt Lake City, UT > Ogden, UT > Snowville, UT > Bliss, ID > Glenns Ferry, ID

Day 6 - 700 km: Glenns Ferry, ID > Mountain Home, ID > Nampa, ID > Baker City, ID > La Grande, OR > Pendleton, OR > Umatilla, OR > Paterson, WA > Roosevelt, WA > Maryhill, WA > The Dalles, OR

Day 7 - 625 km: The Dalles, OR > Biggs Junction, OR > Goldendale, WA > Yakima, WA > Snowqualmie Pass, WA > Seattle, WA > Bellingham, WA > Chilliwack River Valley, BC

Approximate Map (excluding several detours):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ride Review & Trip Report:

We averaged 400 to 500 miles in 12 or 13 hours a day with plenty of gas stops, rest stops, and long breakfasts. Absolutely zero mechanical issues along the way. No hard starts or dead batteries, no oil leaks or coolant leaks, no punctured tires, no losing the rear-end in the rain, no overheating, no unfortunate encounters with wildlife or Memorial Day drivers (is there a difference?). Both of us found the mostly stock bikes sufficiently comfortable to ride all day for 7 days straight due to the frequency of fuel stops and photo stops allowing for stretching and relaxing. We found that stretching while riding and shifting our posture, leg, and foot position frequently easily allowed us to ride in 100 - 120 mile sprints (depending on availability of gas stations). Both of us woke up feeling well and ready to ride on Day 7. Honestly, I was quite surprised considering my father is going on 54 and fairly beat up from a lifetime working as a heavy duty mechanic, he too was surprised to make it through the entire trip with energy to spare.

While nearly the entire route was enjoyable to some extent, Route 95 and 24 through Fry Canyon, Hite, Glen Canyon, Hanksville, Capitol Reef, and Torrey in Utah was without a doubt my favorite ride of the week. It’s like taking Dead Horse, Canyonlands, and Arches National Parks, removing all of the tourist traffic and cops, raising the speed limit to highway speeds, and then routing the massive Colorado River right through the middle of it. I couldn’t dream up a landscape that exaggerated. You can look at all of the pictures you want online before going but what they don’t show is that it’s like that in every direction for miles upon miles. It has to be one of the most incredible playgrounds for motorcycles in the entirety of North America, endless twistys and several hours straight of unbelievably scenic riding. The national parks were absolutely worth visiting as well, but in terms of ride quality, the isolation and higher speed limits of remote central Utah allow for a much more exciting riding environment.

I also really enjoyed the San Rafael Swell along I-70 in Utah, Snake River Canyon near Twin Falls, ID, the Columbia River Gorge between Portland and Hermiston, OR, the strange world of West Wendover, NV and Wendover, UT, bombing down the highway along the Bonneville Salt Flats, the incredibly scenic and unusually green canyons along Highway 6 between Salt Lake City and Price, UT, the strange half ghost town vibes of Green River, UT, the hilarious number of people legally driving plated side-by-sides on public roads in Moab, the jolly folks living and working in Hanksville, UT (especially Duke’s Slickrock Grill), Deadman Pass along I-84 in Oregon, the massive tree farms in Boardman, OR, the Oregon Trail Café & Bar in Glenns Ferry, ID, sprinting through scattered thunderstorms on our way through Jackpot and Wells, NV, the unusual quantity of classic cars still being driven, and the countless characters we met at gas stations and restaurants along the way.

Photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff! I love Utah.
    EPOCH6 likes this.
  3. Swinefahrt

Swinefahrt RooteR

Oddometer:
    First post! Well done, sir!
    EPOCH6 likes this.
  4. cycletlh

cycletlh Slower than yesterday!

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the forum!!! Great first post. Really aggressive and congratulations on the miles/klicks per day but you got a good feel for what is out there. Reach out to us next time and we can help you see the same states in a whole different light. We are very fortunate to live where we do.
    EPOCH6 likes this.
  5. EPOCH6

EPOCH6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, looking forward to wringing some route suggestions out of you folks in time, many more trips to come, especially into the US. Just waiting for my replacement passport now, it got drenched while riding through a gnarly thunderstorm in Nevada.
  6. BTL

BTL No more snow!!

Oddometer:
    St Albert. Alberta Canada. IBA Member 50093
    great post...love the pics...super great ride.
    EPOCH6 likes this.