1. eNewsletter Sign Up

British Hideout Leather's new 1-piece textile suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TheLondonder, Nov 21, 2016.

1. TheLondonder

TheLondonder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The British Hideout Leather have come out with a 1-piece version of their textile suit:
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/Hideout-Leather-45351076546/videos/?ref=page_internal
    (I hope the link works - my facebook skills are very limited)

The video is certainly not of professional quality; there is no info on their website yet. They're busy at a bike show in northern England, so maybe they'll update the site once the show is over.

It reminds me of the Aerostitch Roadcrafter. Their two-piece suit is this:
    http://www.hideout-leather.co.uk/hideout-leather-hi-pro
    It's CE-approved and it can be made to measure.

I am not a big fan of one-piece textile suits - I think two-piece ones are way more versatile. Also, many find it convenient to wear these one-piece suits over ordinary street clothes, but if you wear, say, cotton instead of some wicking fabric like synthetic or merino, then the breathability of the suit's membrane is hindered substantially. Anyone who has ever tried wearing cotton socks with gore-tex boots will know what I'm talking about.

However, the success of the Roadcrafter suggests there are quite a few people who disagree with me!
    dragos likes this.
  2. LostInPA

LostInPA Professional American

Oddometer:
    I've often thought a one piece would be good in winter for street riding. No drafts up the back. :-)
  3. Essex of Essex

Essex of Essex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I looked at this at the NEC on Sunday, it looks like a great piece of kit for those who work in suits and commute by bike.
    It appears to be constructed to the high standard that Hideout Leather has always stood for.
  4. TheLondonder

TheLondonder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you tried it on? Do you know how heavy it is? My hideout textile jacket, in a slightly longer cut than normal, is 3.5 kg / 7.8 lb . I don't really feel the weight once I wear it, but I assume the weight alone might contribute to a certain amount of sweating when temperatures rise and I ride in stop-n-go city traffic. But it's fine, as that is not a summer, nor a 4-season jacket. Although in Scotland it could probably be, if not a 4-season, at least a 3.5-season one! With jacket + overtrousers, I can leave the jacket on and the overtrousers in my topbox, but with a one-piece suit I wouldn't know what to do with it once off the bike.

PS I had my hideout hi-pro textile jacket made in a slightly longer cut than usual precisely to wear a suit underneath; although, of course, I can only do this when it's cold, otherwise I sweat too much with a wool business suit jacket underneath!
  5. Graemsay

Graemsay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are a few photos on Facebook.

Hideout One Piece.jpg

The off-the-peg price is £1375. Hideout charge an extra 25% for made-to-measure, so around £1720 for a fitted suit. Details can be found on their website.

I was at Motorcycle Live this year, but didn't pay much attention to what was on the Hideout stand. I'd just ordered up a set of leathers from BKS, so wasn't in the market for another. Shame, really, as this looks like a really neat design, and will probably fit and crash better than a Roadcrafter.

Maybe I'll look into it on my next trip back to the UK, which is likely to be in August or September.