broadband connection sharing???

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Charlie Brown, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Sweeter than YooHoo

Oddometer:
    How do i "share" my broadband connection between 2 computers, what is the easiest, least expensive way that i can do this???

I am not very computer knowledgeable, and ill should only need to do this for 6 months or so... thanks for the help and knowledge.

Charlie
  2. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does your modem signal go into the computer through a Cat-5 network card or a USB port?

If its a network card, all you need is a switch or NAT box, and another network card for the other computer. The switch sends internet signals to both computers independently.

If its a USB, then you need to do connection sharing through the primary computer. Never done it, but the first machine must be on to access the second. Microsoft only supports this method, but most folks don't reccomend.

R-dubb

BTW - I'm ussually FOS anyway....
  3. Charlie Brown

Oddometer:
    i think it is through a cat 5 cable, not really sure. like i said not very goo dwith this shit. "nat" what the hell is a NAT???

Charlie
  4. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The CAT-5 has a plug that looks like an enlarged phone cord.

A NAT box joins two computers together, as in a home network. It assigns an IP internet address to the box and tricks the internet into thinking that more than one computer are at the same address. The computers still get independent signals and can both be surfing at once. The nice feature of the NAT is that it also serves as a firewall insulating the computers behind it to some extent. A simple network hub won't do that. The Box costs about $50 and generally serves at least four computers plus the cable modem.

R-dubb
  5. Charlie Brown

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info, it appears to be a cat 5 wire. and im guessing that if i go into micro center or some computer kind of plac ethey wll know what i am asking for when i say a "nat". thanks for the info, i really appreciate it.

Charlie
  6. Charlie Brown

Oddometer:
  7. MIKE STH

MIKE STH '19 R1250 GSA HP2 Let's Rock

Oddometer:
    That'll work. best part of the home router solution is having a hardware firewall. Neater still is adding other stuff like wireless later on down the road. I myself use the LINKSYS router, but they should be similar. After you install, come back and we'll talk about free downloads to protect yourself like ZONEALARM, FINJAN SURFGUARD PRO, AD AWARE, GRC.COM and others.

Don't be intimidated...routers for home use are plug and play. They will work without configuring them.
  8. Charlie Brown

Oddometer:
    thanks alot, my brother built a pc for me so i thought i'd try and research some ways to network the two together for internet access and sharing files. i would have asked him but he isnt very patient with me on this type of stuff...

Charlie
  9. rusty

rusty n00b

Oddometer:
    You will need a NIC (network interface card) in each PC, and then the best way is to use a broadband router with say 4 ports, cost would be about USD$70 I would think. (as per the one you found on the net) Then both PC's plug into that. The router will protect your windows PC's from the internet, and provide you with a gateway etc.

If you need more specific help, just let me know.

regards
  10. slack

slack Fair weather ADV dolt

Oddometer:
    for under $100 you can get the linksys router/nat boxes
    many of them even include switches

I previously used a dedicated unix box to run my firewall.
    The linksys routers are cheep easy to setup and very stable.

This would allow you to do connection sharing and not require your computer to do the work.

It supports PPOE which some lame ISP's use and other major protocals. you can even buy them with 802.11b (wireless) built right in.
    its all configureable thru a simple webpage and a good buy.

If your after an external solution

Slack the technodweeb
  11. AJ2

AJ2 Master of the Universe

Oddometer:
    This is definitely the way I would go(wireless, that is). You can be set up for around $200. Depends on your space, obviously, as in if you live in a studio, probably not too much value added.
    Security is an issue also, so look into that before jumping in as well.
  12. P. Urquell

P. Urquell Martini Taste Tester

Oddometer:
    As stated in previous posts, it's best to use a NAT (network address translation) cable/dsl router such as a Linksys, SMC, Netgear, etc. However a free alternative is using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) built into the operating system (Win98 SE, Win Me, Win XP, Win 2k). You need two NICs (network interface cards) -- one for your WAN connection and one going to a LAN hub or directly another PC via cross over cable. To activate ICS it's simply a check-off box.

If you decide to do it the right way, using a broadband router try www.buy.com. Free shipping and excellent prices. I buy all my computer stuff there.

Best of Luck
  13. MIKE STH

Oddometer:
    Buy.com kicks butt...Always delivered much faster than my expectation. I'd still use PRICEGRABBER to check for any freaky bargins just in case.

I started with the 4 port Linksys and later added a 802.11 WAP (Wireless access point). The 802.11 card for a notebook was down to $34 in some of the Sunday rags. The WAP point was around $70. so, for an extra $100, you can sit in the garage and build on the bike and cruise the site without any wires at broadband speed. :evil [​IMG]
  14. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I've also got a linksys router and it works great. True plug and play. Except for the Win98 configuration to be able to make it work...that sucked ass.
  15. slack

slack Fair weather ADV dolt

Oddometer:
    The unit i bought had a 4port switch and a socket for a pcmcia 802.11b card upgrade. It would require the linksys card but they are cheep

it cost about $89 at frys and allows the wireless upgrade without scraping any hardware.

C
  16. MIKE STH

Oddometer:
    That would be even better...when I bought the 4 port Linksys, it was the only model available. I then took Cat5 out one of the ports to my WAP...worked like a champ. Either way, no reason to scrap good gear:evil
  17. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    well f-ngawddayam, slacker...that's better than lowered footpegs!
  18. JUIJITSU

JUIJITSU FACTOTUM

Oddometer:
    Oh for a really fun time, get a copy of Linux, get a crap computer box from good will, install 2 nic cards and set up a DHCP server with a firewall. You will need a small Hub. Approx cost is about the same as a link sys router the BEFSR41. Pull your fucking hair out trying to remember all the code needed to set up Ip Chains for NAT and aaaggghghhhggh, go out to office depot and pay for a Linksys router BEFSR41, set it up and rock on. The linksys is the best router I have seen for home users. WHAT EVER YOU DO, please please change the default password on the router , so everyone on the internet can not hack into your computer. If you have a router with a built in firewall , also install a software firewall like Zonelabs Zone Alarm or better yet get a copy from Tiny Software Tiny Personal firewall. The router will seem confusing at first, but read the manual and it will become clear. You might need to clone your MAC Address for AT and T cable setups. Really easy to do. Hope you get up and runnng real easy like.
  19. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a note, while routers will work to share DSL and I assume cable too, they do not work with satellite connections - sat. modems use a proprietary protocol on top of TCP/IP that does not work when you plug them directly into a router. The answer with sats is to use one dedicated computer hooked up to the modem, leave it on when you need connectivity, and to use ICS and NIC cards.

FWIW,
    LCB
  20. Charlie Brown

Oddometer:
    is stuff from "Belkin Labs" shit? it seems to be about 30-40 less than the linksys stuff... and frankly i am poor, still looking for a job and all.

Charlie