Broken centerstand blues..

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by firerigger, Sep 13, 2006.

1. firerigger

firerigger Trauma waiting to happen

Oddometer:
    So I was trying to put the trusty Sixdays up on the centerstand tonight, when I heard a "pah-ting!" On inspection, I discovered that the left threaded stud on the centerstand had broken off. This is not good. Anybody have a spare centerstand they'd be willing to sell? Or suggestions on a repair plan? Thanks.
  2. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Drill it out, put in a shoulder bolt.

[​IMG]

Ta Da.
    C
  3. firerigger

firerigger Trauma waiting to happen

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've been looking at it and that would probably work. I just have to find the right bolt.... That could take some doing.
  4. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Go to Canada.
  5. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lowes stocks some shoulder bolts.

Mine broke this summer and with some carefull hand drilling thru the old studs (leaving the old stud bosses intact to act like a bushing) I replaced with good old grade 8 bolts and nylock nuts.

OK so far - I'd have used the shoulder bolts if i knew they were easy to get outside of an industrial supply house here in the US to save time and trouble
  6. bigtaters

bigtaters Strommer

Oddometer:
    I drilled mine out and replaced it with a grade 8 bolt. It's held for a few months now with no problems, even loaded down during a recent trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'm going to have to look around for a shoulder bolt - that looks like a better way to go.
  7. fire_strom

fire_strom Long timer

Oddometer:
    kroegers has a surprisingly good bolt selection.
    scott
  8. Riversage

Riversage Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I find myself with this problem now too. Anyone know what size of shoulder bolt is needed?
  9. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    make sure the frame hole is not ovaled out and measure it
  10. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    mine broke on a ride in 2005... a ride with creeper mr. shoulder bolt himself actually... i popped in a little m8 bolt i had in my tool kit and it worked fine. so fine i forgot about it. it still resides in the stand years (and two owners) later.
  11. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I can't even remember why I posted that bit above.
  13. Johnny Bouncewell

Johnny Bouncewell Surly

Oddometer:
    Yo! I've got this problem and need to revive this thread dudes...

So I just bought a 97 620 RXC for peanuts and have been going through it finding all the things wrong with it. First thing I noticed was the centerstand not passing the swingarm. So...a bit of digging and I found the right pivot on the stand nearly half way worn through and the frame mount totally ovalized. To get by, I fabbed a little collar that wrapped around the worn pivot but I will need to do something more substantial before too long. Though I am a bit embarrassed to say so, I ground down a little bit of the foot to help with clearance...I really wanted to ride the beast!

Is it safe to drill out the ovalized frame mount and replace the pivot to a larger shouldered bolt? I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow. Thanks to those who are wiser than I.
  14. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depends on how much metal is left around it.

You could have the hole welded and re-drill it.

Dave
  15. Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer:
    Without being familiar with the model and how much of a tab is present? It may be possible to enlarge the hole enough to place the appropriate size nut in place and weld it to the tab. Now if you do not have access to a welder, it may not be such a good idea.

Cigar Mike
  16. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, so I have this issue mentioned by the OP. I could not find a shoulder bolt that works, so just to get the bike back together, I found an SAE bolt to toss on. It is actually not a bad fit and it has a small shoulder on it to act as the bearing surface at the pivot point. I had to remove a tiny amount of metal off the spring bow for the bolt to fit through.

My problem.......I seem to forget how the springs and spring bow go back on. I've tried it the only two ways it seems to go on (it does go on where the stud broke off and the stud now is, correct?). The stand acts like it has no spring life in it. It won't stay up. I obviously have the bow on wrong. Anyone got a closeup pic of their 640 center stand I can see?

BTW, is the spring bow's hole supposed to be perfectly round, or have an intent on it? I wondered if maybe the indent is key to my issues here.

S.C.
  17. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never mind. I put on my glasses and saw the pivot stud located above the bolt hole for the center stand. :rofl

S.C.
  18. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    At least you know how to search for the correct thread. :beer
  19. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I'm still laughing at myself about this. Sometimes I just need to slow down a little, look and think more before I actually do something.

And I'll be checking out that website mentioned above for a proper pair of metric shoulder bolts to replace the one SAE bolt/nut and the other side's original welded stud. I may as well go all in on getting this done right.

And while I'm thinking about it, both the original shouldered studs, and their respective holes on the frame had become a loose fit over the years. There is room for a little drilling of the frame holes to clean them up, and then fitting them with a matching shoulder bolt.

S.C.
  20. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Oh boy, another maintenance item...