Broken frame on R12GS aftner 30,000 miles

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by GooseRider, Nov 1, 2013.

1. GooseRider

GooseRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Noticed about a month ago that the frame on my 2005 R1200GS is broken. More specifically the tab that bolts the frame to the gear box is sheared through. The bike has not been in an accident. It has been ridden on road and gravel, well within the design envelope of an adventure bike.

Contacted BMW NA and after three weeks was told that they won't cover anything!! :( Was planning to add a S1000RR, now I am having second thoughts. Very disappointed in BMW NA not standing behind their product. To me a frame is never meant to break!

So now I am wondering what to do? Weld or replace? Escalate in BMW. Anyone else had a similar issue?

Thx!!
  2. mysticbus

mysticbus Mysticbus

Oddometer:
    I don't know if I would expect them to do a lot about a 9 year old bike. I would weld that up and keep on rollin.
  3. GooseRider

GooseRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. GooseRider

GooseRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jeveretts

I bought the bike used a year ago with only 13,000 miles on it looking like new. The previous owner hardly used it. I think 30,000 miles is very short for a frame. The fact that the bike for most of its life sat around doesn't make the life of the frame any more acceptable to me. :(
  5. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with Jeveretts. Especially knowing now that you're not the original owner. The bike IS 8-9 years old, and now you can't vouch for it's entire life. What would you expect a manufacturer to do?
    Sure, I'd be disappointed, a lot! But I wouldn't expect anybody to step up this late in the game.
    Weld it and ride it. It'll be good for many years.
  6. GooseRider

GooseRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought her from a BMW dealer ... A year ago ...

What can you do to a frame that makes it snap later without visible physical damage? Thought this bike could go around the world???

Now if the frame was dented. Or the wheels had large dents. Or it had hit a deer. But according to the local BMW dealer it was always serviced by them and treated very well. It had no crash bars and 90/10 dual sport tires when I bought it, probably only gone to Starbucks. Granted, she is 8 years old, but how long should a frame last?

Promotional picture at my dealer shows a 12GS flying through the air ...
  7. marchyman

marchyman DR and GS

Oddometer:
  8. GooseRider

GooseRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thx! That was really helpful. Sounds like my GS needs a trip to Sacramento. Wonder how much it needs to be taken apart for that.

Also, sounds like there was a design deficiency which subsequently have been fixed.
  9. Bill-66

Bill-66 I don't even know...

Oddometer:
    My '08 is broken as well..couple threas running around here on it..many think it's no big deal..not worth fixing..

Mine is not broken thru top..yours would most likely need to be sepetated as for clutch..then repaired...I can still squeak mine out as is..for now..

Good luck..
  10. ZEmann

ZEmann want to be riding

Oddometer:
    if it were mine I wouldn't be to upset at BMW

and I would likely weld it with no disassemble after beveling the crack with a pencil grinder

can u get to the other side as well ?

good luck !
  11. GooseRider

GooseRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So how would you weld it?? If it is just an alignment tab would you even bother? Any issue riding with it broken?
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    :nod

Besides that, it won't really hurt to ride it unless you tend to ride it hard.

I've seen R1200GSs with those bolts missing more than once. The owner never noticed.

Jim :brow
  13. marchyman

marchyman DR and GS

Oddometer:
    Is it providing any support for the tranny? I don't know. This is the input shaft out of a tranny that was removed to weld up a cracked tab. Was the spline wear caused by that? Unknown. I've heard people with a better understanding of how the bike works argue it both ways. :dunno

[​IMG]
  14. Bill-66

Bill-66 I don't even know...

Oddometer:
    They're kind of an offset "U"....probably 4 sides to weld..easy enough to do a full pen weld from one side on the bottom...top has pretty damn tight access..
  15. ZEmann

ZEmann want to be riding

Oddometer:
    can't say if it's needed I don't have your model

I am looking at your pics and it looks very easy to weld with even a basic wire feed

using some spatter/heat shields and some cooling water at the ready

then again I am judging from pics
  16. liviob

liviob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After carefully looking at photos of the framed GS's versus the previous design like the 01 which has no lower frame I had the thought that these might break. Wasn't sure where they would break, but after having extensive metal fabricating experience it just seemed obvious that this bolt on to the engine bikini frames would not be able to withstand the torque loads placed upon it and flex too much and break. Sorry to see your having troubles with it and i agree with you Gooserider theres no excuse for a frame from a $20,000 street motorcycle to break while being used within its design envelope. It sure can't hurt to ask BMW if they will fix it i would. It most likely could be welded without disassembling the bike, but you could put to much heat into the aluminum transmission casting causing it to expand too much and creating another problem. It could be a heat treated casting to relieve stress from the manufacturing process.
  17. Basic_Gerd

Basic_Gerd Gerd

Oddometer:
    So this could be one advantage of the frameless design of the 11xx models? The forces "remain where they belong", and are not transferred forth and back?

Sounds somewhat reasonable. I always asked myself why they abandoned the frame, and never found something different as weight issues or assembling advantages (bot only once, on the production line).

The more respect for the airheads...:clap
  18. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    The tab is different between my '06 and '11 models so BMW redesigned it somewhere along the way . Have it fixed as these mounts keep the engine/trans from twisting in the frame. Quite obvious that it plays a important role by evidence of it being broken.
  19. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    It's not the tab that holds the gearbox to the frame..............

It's the tab that holds the sub frame to the gearbox...........

There is no frame on this bike, the sub frames aren't structural to the engine/gearbox/suspension....all of those hang from the engine.

Fix it or leave it. A decent welder could dab that thing in place if your prepare it. It's a sub frame mount. Your engine/gearbox isn't going to fall out.
  20. liviob

liviob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Earlyer in the post someone posted a photo of worn transmission splines and mentioned the wear was caused by a broken frame that was left unrepaired. My question is does this transmission on the framed bikes bolt to the engine? if so what caused the wear to the splines in the photo? It looks like a misalignment caused the wear. Also looking at the pics of GS bikes with this type of frame it looks as though the swing arm does not attatch to the transmission but instead to the frame where the frame tubes meet at the circular piece. Does it not attach there?