Brooklyn to Argentina on a Salvaged Victory

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by vicmitch, Oct 4, 2015.

1. vicmitch

vicmitch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has the weather changed dramatically? What was it like here last week? It was cold until Punta Arenas, which was in the 60s F. It is in the high 40s now.
    Chip Seal likes this.
  2. vicmitch

Oddometer:
    On the road to 28 November the other day, I hit a huge pothole because I was following a car too closely, getting ready to pass and didn't have time to react. After hitting it, I felt like I had gotten shorter. When I got into town, it felt like the bike was way easier to scoot around with. When I got off, I saw it was because the center of gravity was way lower. Upon removing the seat I saw why, the clevis I had fabricated in Panama was only half there, and the bolt was cut in half too. To hell with it, not stopping now.

On the ferry to Porvenir, I met Ricardo from Ushuia on a V-Strom 1000 who was on his way home from a ride to Bolivia. I also met a Canadian guy with a Colombian registered AKT 125 who had been riding all over South America with his Chilean girlfriend. They had a tearful goodbye from the movies, with her not letting him go as the ferry ramps started going up. He is a strange dude, wearing a leather MC jacket, a sport jacket under that and ripped jeans. He was carrying a shovel that he had found on the side of the road.

Ricardo and I rode together on the smooth dirt to the Argentine border. Some Guanacos were crossing the road and the last one stopped, then tried to outrun us and cross in front of us. We slowed down and let the stupid beast pass.

Rode to the Entrance of the town of Ushuia . At the entrance, there was a protest and the road was blocked. Waiting with everyone else I saw the familiar bumblebee colored BMW of Bram. As it is at the beginning, so it is at the end.
    Ushuia 002.JPG

With Ricardo
    Ushuia 004.JPG

Everyone suggested we go to a Hostel called The Post, owned by a Motorcycle traveler named Lolo who had ridden his V-Strom to Alaska. Great choice, thy give a 10% discount for Motorcycle travelers so it cost $14 including breakfast. Today, Lolo found me someone to fix the shock for the 6th time.

With the exception of the shock, which I had modified for more ride height, The Victory was flawless. One clutch cable, that was it. 15,000 miles from Brooklyn to Ushuia, from 65,000 miles to 80,000. if Victory made a GS type bike with this kind of reliability, it would destroy the market.

The ride report isn't over yet, still don't know where I'm going from here, but the goal has been reached, well almost, once I get the shock back, I'll ride to the end of the road and take a picture at the iconic sign.
  3. SoPaRider

SoPaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. DRRambler

DRRambler AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! You've had quite a trip so far and it must feel great to have made it to Ushuaia. The moment I made it there is a memory I'll keep forever and I'm sure you will too.
    It's looking kinda cold there. Hope you get that shock fixed up soon so the epic RR can continue.
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  5. yachabibi

yachabibi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant, well done. I've thoroughly enjoyed your ride report, it's been inspirational. Thanks for taking us along.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  6. wbsims

wbsims Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have enjoyed this RR very much. Makes me want to go.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  7. vicmitch

Oddometer:
    If you want to go, go. if you have a bike and $9000 saved, don't overthink it, throw some bags on it and go. You will never regret it.
    Oznay, Sunday Rider and Trip Hammer like this.
  8. wbsims

wbsims Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just 8k short, but saving.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
    stilcrazee likes this.
  9. sparkingdogg

sparkingdogg Prisoner In Disguise

Oddometer:
    AWESOME :clap
  10. TDC_ERock

TDC_ERock Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well done, sir!
  11. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Priceless Mitch :clap

You are right about the Vic, that is one solid bike. You went mudding, muffler bouncing, and shock pounding and she came through with flying colors, kudos to the jockey much as the steed.

What kind of gear did you wear and were you happy with it?
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  12. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Very well done. I've enjoyed every minute! :clap
  13. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    15000 miles for 9000 Sounds like the best.60 per mile someone could spend.
    Great report, thanks for taking us alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Imagine the money you would have made betting that you'd make it with the Victory without any "serious" mechanical issues vs. an "adventure" bike.

I enjoyed every part of your witty written report and the great photography!
    redlabelmoto likes this.
  15. vicmitch

Oddometer:
    Gear: My jacket is a Polaris Racing snowmobile jacket, basically a motorcycle jacket without armor, but with padding where the armor is on MC jackets. under that I had Bohn Armor shirt. The jacket is vented and was good in all weather. I did also have a Victory mesh jacket with me until the off in El Salvador when it was retired due to rash that went through the mesh material . I had several pairs of pants, First one I used was the Black Ash Cordura with Bohn Armor pants underneath. After the off, they were retired for the same reason. I replace them with Roadgear Cordura pants which haven't been tested. I also brought a pair of Icon kevlar jeans which had been too small for me the last few years but fit me fine now,

Boots are Icon field armor. The tops are fine, but I had to have the soles reattached to the boots in San Cristobal de Las Casas and they have separated again.
    First helmet was a Lazer Tornado that did hit the ground in El Salvador, so when I went home in December, I brought my Ski Doo Vision 180 snowmobile helmet, the drop down sunshade was helpful. those were my 2 oldest helmets, The Lazer was not DOT but ECE so I got it cheap and the Ski Doo was super cheap since the first run of them had fogging issues on snowmobiles so they dumped them for $60. They will both be retired after the trip.

Luggage. The soft side cases are Ortlieb. Both got damaged on bottom from rubbing the tire. A guard would have eliminated that problem. They were still waterproof from above so I can recommend them. The yellow TexSport kyack dry bag I have had for 4 years and was $30 on Amazon, The velcro on one side of the flap came loose but this bag has been everywhere so no complaints. The tank bag was a used Marsee from Ebay, it has started coming apart but Gorilla tape has kept it alive. For $20 it did it's job and will be dumped.

Tires: I started with 80% on a rear Metzler ME888 and 60% on a front Michelin Commander II. Both were changed in Costa Rica with a used Commander II in the rear with 80% and a new Duro. The rear was changed in Santiago Chile with a Maxxis tire that is wearing fast and the front was replaced in Bariloche, Argentina with a Perelli City Demon that still looks new.

Anything else you want to kn ow, just ask
    Oznay and jml141 like this.
  16. vicmitch

Oddometer:
    Fixed the shock the end 001.JPG

and headed to the end of the road., Met a mangy fox
    the end 003.JPG

Wild horses, couldn't keep me away the end 009.JPG

the end 010.JPG
  17. vicmitch

Oddometer:
    And finally, The obligatory photo
    the end 007.JPG
  18. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea! You made it! :clap
  19. Oznay

Oznay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats, well done..
  20. olekaw

olekaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a great trip! Very interesting the whole way. Thanks for your effort. Now let's see the route North.