Brooklyn to Argentina on a Salvaged Victory

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by vicmitch, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Canadatriumphrider

Canadatriumphrider Old guy on a young bike

Oddometer:
    Congratulations. Great report full of witty prose with an eye for the life of the locals. I particularly enjoyed the fact that you took a bike not really designed for this type of riding and made it work.
  2. jdmclemore

jdmclemore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Epic trip - thanks so much for sharing it with us!
  3. Blumtnman

Blumtnman Rider

Oddometer:
    Well done, thanks for taking us along on your trip. Just goes to prove you can have an adventure on ANY bike.
  4. sgio

sgio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very good! Thanks for the report. I really enjoyed it.
  5. defib

defib Portly Paranurse

Oddometer:
    Are you riding or flying home? I think you should head for Deadhorse now!

:hide
    Hey your tires are kinda new!
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  6. Joris van O

Joris van O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Vicmitch for sharing your trip! Nice to see a actual number regarding the costs. Am I right thinking that you have not camped much?
  7. Gone_Ridin

Gone_Ridin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    With the exception of the shock, which I had modified for more ride height, The Victory was flawless. One clutch cable, that was it. 15,000 miles from Brooklyn to Ushuia, from 65,000 miles to 80,000. if Victory made a GS type bike with this kind of reliability, it would destroy the market.

Ya, I think they have an opportunity to do just that with the new 1200cc v-twin they're using in the octane or the wide range of Thumper engines they use in the Razors; reliability is not an issue and Polaris has enough off-road experience suspension wise hope they do something.
  8. vicmitch

vicmitch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The route north will only go as far as Buenos Aries, unfortunately. But there will be more photos and hopefully more interesting encounters.
    Trip Hammer and jml141 like this.
  9. vicmitch

Oddometer:
    I didn't camp much at all, just once. Until Chile, it's not to wise, sadly, and if in a campground alone, it costs the same as a hostel, so if you're just getting off riding a full day, then have to set up camp only to take it down in the morning. The one time I camped was with 3 other bikers so the $10 was shared 4 ways and was worth it. I may camp a bit on the way north as Argentina and Chile have been like vacum cleaners sucking money from my wallet. Oh, time for more steak
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  10. AMEretired

AMEretired Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bloody good stuff !!!! You show us all, once again, that the adventure is in the heart of the adventurer !! Thanks for the report and the reminder.
    Mike
  11. vicmitch

Oddometer:
    Oznay likes this.
  12. Gordon

Gordon MC Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Read the entire RR loved it. Thank you so much for taking us all along for the journey.....Now what ? :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  13. vicster

vicster Long timer

Oddometer:
    And at least one belt?
    Thanks for this report, enjoying it very much. I had a completely reliable '02V92 so I'm not surprised by the reliability you experienced on this trip.
  14. ultrasheen

ultrasheen vox nihili Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic. I'm so thankful you have posted this, and I'm so thankful you have made it safely to your destination.

Well done. Thank you so much for sharing your adventure.
  15. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not saying you are frugal.... but you did ride a long way to be able to buy a cheap steak... :deal :photog
  16. devauxb

devauxb How do you do that?

Oddometer:
    What an epic journey!

Boy, you sure did it your way, taking conventional wisdom and throwing it out the window. From your selection of motorcycle, to clothing, helmet ... even how you crossed the Darien, you made it all work. Awesome!

Great writing style and photography - always to the point but often with an unusual twist (like the interesting cars and trucks you challenged us with).

I so enjoy reading this Central/South American trips as they unfold during the cold wintery months and they all seem to wrap up just as riding season here starts up.

I add my thanks to the chorus and look forward to reading more of your adventures.
  17. motopoet

motopoet The Moto Poet

Oddometer:
    Hey Mitch good to see you reach Tierra Del Fuego, congrats. Glad I got to meet you back in Cartagena and absorb some of your road wisdom, thanks for that.

Once you're back in the States it would be great to meet up again, maybe down in Brooklyn and ride around the Hudson. Let me know my friend

Anyhow, ride on sir!

David c.
  18. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on making it to your goal! Man, what a ride! Your report is very well-written and really holds one's interest! Super job! I love epic rides on bikes that "conventional" wisdom says are unsuited for the journey: your ride, rtwdoug taking a HD chopper rtw, or a young couple going from Tx to Argentina two-up on a 250 Ninja! Your ride is a classic - should be an inspiration to all!
  19. stilcrazee

stilcrazee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats from one Vic owner/rider to another.
  20. edstoll

edstoll OPD-2019 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I loved following your trip. Very enjoyable the way you did it and the bike you chose. Thank You.