Brooklyn to Argentina on a Salvaged Victory

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by vicmitch, Oct 4, 2015.

1. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    After I saw how you handled your monster bike on the backroads around Antigua, I had no doubt that you would make it all the way .
    Well done, congratulations !!!
    Cmnthead and BC Brian like this.
  2. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has a Victory been RTW yet ? No doubt you and your bike could , say 2018 ?
  3. stilcrazee

stilcrazee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is currently a guy trying it but not riding the whole way. His/their idea is "having ridden" in each continent all in 100 days.

http://www.grizzlyraceteam.ch/
  4. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeh, deep in my memory something caught a tidbit of this. Lots of hype and "World Record" stuff that to me is just not that appealing. But, to each his own , good luck , grizzly.
  5. ButchH

ButchH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    AWESOME
  6. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Vic, let me congratulate you on arriving your goal and you are the man for doing it on a cruise bike at your age. Thumb up!!

I wish him good luck! Gabe Carrera tried to do Ushuaia to Deadhorse on a Harley RK for like 30 days or less raising fund for children hospital, but after first week he came to realize that it would not be possible and at pressure of few Argentinian and Chilean he back off and travel at his own pace.. what he hoped for 30 days turned out to be 4 months. So yeah.. good luck Grizzly team.
  7. vicmitch

vicmitch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm still on the road, had no internet a few days, lots of adventures left. A bit tired now but tomorrow I will post an update. Thanks for all of the congrats and If Victory will lend me an Octane with some longer shocks, I will head for Vladavostok . According to the tire sizes of the Octane, heidenau has tires for it.
  8. yachabibi

yachabibi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but what will your wife say?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  9. vicmitch

Oddometer:
    The other day Yuichi from Japan showed up at La Posta. He is also at the end of his journey, however, he started in Japan, ferried to Vladovostok, rode through Russia, Mongolia, the Stans, the Balkans into Europe, shipped to Cape Town and rode up to Kenya, shipped to NY and rode across the USA before doing Baja California and then my for the last part, he did my entire ride.
    out of ushuaia 001.JPG

It was time to leave Ushuia, sadly. So at 11AM I left La Posta, got to the exit of town ten minutes later and the protest blocking the exit was in full swing. Government workers were protesting, among other things, the raising of the retirement age from 55 to 60.
    out of ushuaia 002.JPG
    Some of the people there had been there since 3pm the day before. Hung out trading trucking stories with a Frieghtliner driver then Yuichi showed up. The protesters had the phone numbers of several politicians posted so if you have complaints about waiting, complain to them.

What? You don't give a crap, ok, thanks
    out of ushuaia 005.JPG

After a while it got old, and cold. They had a meeting, with drums, speeches and songs, deciding, at 11PM to open the road for an hour. Being too late to ride anywhere, but us not being stupid, we went to the other side of the roadblock and set up camp
    out of ushuaia 006.JPG

In the morning, Yuichi made breakfast of egg drop soup and pasta with soy sauce, very good. We parted ways as he wanted to go fishing somewhere and I headed north.
    TonyKZ1, sparkingdogg and Trip Hammer like this.
  10. vicmitch

Oddometer:
    Across Tierra del Fuego saw some mountains out of ushuaia 007.JPG

And a lake out of ushuaia 008.JPG

A whole bunch of these stupid beasts out of ushuaia 009.JPG

There's the road, a fence and miles of empty land with no Guanacos on it, they are all between the fence and the road.
    Got to the border with Chile and while I was in the office on the Argentine side, someone stole the gallon af gas in the red gas can that Bram had given me.

Riding the washboard dirt roads towards the ferry, I met John Bennet on his KLR and he mentioned that my bike was looking a bit low. Not again, yep broken shock, not even 200km since I fixed it in Ushuaia. At the next border to come back into Argentina, I met a Colombian couple on a 250cc AKT which is called a CCM and some other names in different countries.
    out of ushuaia 013.JPG

I also met an Italian guy and a Swiss girl on KTM 990s
    Oznay, TonyKZ1, sparkingdogg and 5 others like this.
  11. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    The adventure continues. :lurk
    I like that white DRZ400 Yuichi rides.
  12. vicmitch

Oddometer:
    Lets continue....
    I seem to be meeting travelers now that I'm nearing the end. Nice German couple on matching 800GSAs with the entire Touratech catalogue on board. out of ushuaia 017.JPG

Then I met an Argentine guy riding across Patagionia on a bobber with no rear suspension and a 200cc engine.
    out of ushuaia 016.JPG

Made it to the town of Fitz Roy and stoped at a truck stop and asked them if I could set up my tent. They said sure, but if you prefer, there are bunks in some shipping containers out back for truckers and you can sleep there. So I got "module 3". out of ushuaia 018.JPG

Cool statue commemorating the oil industry in Comodoro Rividavia out of ushuaia 020.JPG
    Oznay, TonyKZ1, sparkingdogg and 3 others like this.
  13. vicmitch

Oddometer:
    At a gas station I met this guy, who may be an inmate known as XB12R although he was riding a KTM, not a Buell.
    out of ushuaia 021.JPG
    He decided I would be riding too slow due to the broken shock so he declined my offer to ride to Puerto Madryn together.

In between the city of Trelew and Puerto Madryn, I was riding on a freeway and smelled burning plastic, then saw smoke coming from under my tank, then the bike shut off. Great. I got off to investigate and the bike started itself and drove off. Must have been sick of me.

I ran after it and it fell to the ground in short order but kept running. I turned off the ignition and hit the cut off switch to no avail. Luckily it fell on the right side so I took the side cover off and disconnected the battery.

After some Samaritans helped me get the bike up, i noticed that one fuse was burned and if I moved the wiring harness, the starter would engage and if I moved it again it would stop. Good enough to get to Puerto Medryn

When I got there, I was looking for the hostel and the inmate possibly known as XB12R pulled up next to me. i told him about a recomended hostel called La Tosca and we went there. $14 including parking and breakfast, nice rooms and the ability to do laundry sealed the deal for me, XB12R wanted a hotel so as quickly as he appeared, he disaperated .

Super great folks at La Tosca, so highly recommended. next day I had a look at the bike and it didn't look good. i thought I would fix a wire and be off, half of the wires were burnt, I had to cut apart the harness and try to rewire it. lots of wires were broken and i had to figure out there they went. They were burned and melted right up to the ignition switch and back to the tail lights. Do I know anything about rewiring a bike? No. Did that stop me? No. repairs 001.JPG

Started at 9:30 AM and worked to 7pm the first day, then the same the second day. Here is my replacement ignition switch
    View attachment 492626 repairs 002.JPG

It started, I was surprised at anyone. It was time to take a shower and celebrate. With the help of Old Smuggler and Cap'n Beef, I sat down to write this post. Mind you, I've gone through the beef and half the wiskey so please ifnore any speeling mistakes. repairs 004.JPG
  14. Chip Seal

Chip Seal Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When you get to Buenos Aires, pull your plate and leave the bike on a side street. Then fly home!
    orsurf76 likes this.
  15. vicmitch

Oddometer:
    I could have done that here and caught a bus.
  16. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    The plot thickening! Interested to see what happen with Victory now..
  17. vicmitch

Oddometer:
    Got it all wired up and used Gorilla Tape to make a new harness, hopefully all the taping up of wires will survive actually riding it. I took the shock to a place to fix it. The guy took it apart and replaced some parts inside and charged me a whole lot of money. More than the price of 2 rebuilt shocks from the factory. Oh well Argentina.
    Len and Chip Seal like this.
  18. Trip Hammer

Trip Hammer It's not the years, it's the mileage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn, just looking at that nest of wiring stresses me out. I would have been tempted to reach for the Ol' Smuggler before attacking that mess, just to calm the nerves. Way to go vicmitch!!! :clap:photog I'm bummed out this adventure is nearing the end. Looks like the bike will never leave South America, sadly. Here's what I suggest - You book yourself a flight home, ride to the coast, reconnect the wiring harness right at the edge of a cliff, and it'll start up and ride into oblivion without you on it, right into the Atlantic...while bursting into flames. Then bus it back to the airport?:lol3 Pics will be necessary if you go this route, obviously:D
    shuckinator likes this.
  19. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    Wow. Mad props to you. Like many others, I look forward to each installment of this ride report.
  20. vicmitch

Oddometer:
    Dudes, your not paying attention, I got it running before I posted. Got the shock repaired by a racecar suspension place $$$. Hopefully it will get me to BA and to the Horizons Unlimited meeting in Ontario.

Did you all read the part where the bike took off on its own? I would have expected some whitty comments on that.

Back onthe road tomorrow. Today in Puerto Medryn, everyone is off to see penguins, swim with sea lions and watch whales. Me, more steak and whiskey. Stay tuned.

Mitch

There's only two things in life that make it worth living, Motorcycles tuned good and firm feeling women.
    Oznay, TonyKZ1, sandsman and 3 others like this.