Brooklyn to Argentina on a Salvaged Victory

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by vicmitch, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Arman8

Arman8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Vicmitch I read from page 1 to 36 the adventure congrats very good riding wish you healthy 2018!!!
    vicmitch likes this.
  2. vicmitch

vicmitch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for putting me back on p[age 1 for a while. I was in Greece this summer for my son's wedding to a girl from there.
    Trip Hammer likes this.
  3. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    So.....even if you couldn't manage to take a salvage Victory to Greece; a bit of travelogue and a few pics would still be nice....Thanks...Dave
  4. 08StangGT_CS

08StangGT_CS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amazing ride report. Really really makes me want to get out and ride.
    jml141 likes this.
  5. vicmitch

Oddometer:
    Thanks, and thanks for putting me back on page 1
    08StangGT_CS likes this.
  6. jml141

jml141 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It inspired me. While I haven't been to South America yet, I have taken two 10 day trips to Mexico over the last 2 years. Other ride reports are boring now unless they do something like ride a salvage title victory where it's not supposed to go.
    08StangGT_CS likes this.
  7. hoodun

hoodun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A true New Yorker.

I plan on going the route of older bike through South America and found inspiration in this report. I am fully aboard the do not over-think it attitude.

In the end the old Vic held up just as well as the Beemers do on this trip. Maybe even better. Last report I read the guys key fob stopped working on his beemer. If the rear shock was never messed with before leaving there may have been zero issues with the old Vic outside of a crash or two.
  8. sweet jimmy b

sweet jimmy b Living life like a song!

Oddometer:
    Excited for this one...I'm in!
  9. antipode

antipode Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Suscribed
  10. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:

I had a great time too. Thanks for the tour and for all the assistance you give ADV riders in Guatemala. Here we are at the Macadamia Nut farm and restaurant.
    View attachment 411998

And at the foggy overlook

View attachment 412002 [/QUOTE]
    I realize this is an old post, but couldn't pass up commenting about Julio ( the fellow on the GS ). I recognized Julio in your photo, he and his wife stayed at our place on their trip to Alaska a few years ago. Great couple and I got a message form him this past Christmas saying they had moved to Peru. Trully a small world.
  11. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally got to finish the ride report. Well done and goes to prove that the whole what type of bike is overdone. Ride what you got seems to be the way to go.

I wish you all the best on your future rides.
    08StangGT_CS likes this.
  12. hoodun

hoodun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    By far the best ride report I've read so far on Advrider. Everything about it is brilliant. Riding the mountain ridges of Peru in an old Victory cruiser, street tires and all, while nearly getting ass pushed by a wild horse off the edge, will stay in my mind for a long time. Well done, to put it lightly. Looking forward to the next one.
    GlennR likes this.
  13. vicmitch

Oddometer:
  14. vicmitch

Oddometer:
    Thanks,glad you all enjoyed the ride. I still have dreams of Mongolia, but they may just be dreams. Hopefully the old Vic has a trip to Alaska left in her.
  15. vicmitch

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of doing a presentation about riding the bike you have at one of the upcoming Horizon Unlimited meets. I just don't know how to prepare the presentation, technically,that is
  16. hoodun

hoodun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have a gmail account? If not get one and use this: https://www.google.com/slides/about/

You can probaby do a lot with the portfolio template google slides offers and then duplicate slides you like move them around, delete them, etc.
  17. sweet jimmy b

sweet jimmy b Living life like a song!

Oddometer:
    Simply wonderful read! Thank you for all the inspiration!
  18. vicmitch

Oddometer:
    DSC_0038.JPG Hey guys, it's been a while. You may recall that back on page 32 I had an electrical fire snd had to rewire the main harness on the bike. After 3 years, it finally started coming apart and shorted out a bunch of fuses. Someone I know also crashed another 2003 Victory, damaging the frame and cracking one head(on the bike, mot on his shoulders). He bought a Victory Cross Country and gave me the old bike for parts so im going to be changing the entire harness. Should be fun, and an excuse to get back on page 1 for a minute.
  19. jml141

jml141 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thread should be a sticky on page one. I've sent a link to this thread to lots of people that aren't riders just because of it's universal appeal to riders and non-riders alike. Not to mention the fact that it pushed me into international moto travel (well, at least to Mexico!). I hope that bike runs for a long time!
    vicmitch and OldCoot like this.
  20. vicmitch

Oddometer:
    It all starts with Mexico! I will be riding to the Victory MC gathering in Lake George in a few weeks if my repair is good. After thay I would like to go to Alaska and then do Russia, Mongolia, Pamir etc. Money and rapidly advancing decrepitude are my main obstacles
    blender, shuckinator, jml141 and 3 others like this.