Brooklyn to Argentina on a Salvaged Victory

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by vicmitch, Oct 4, 2015.

1. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    It all starts with Mexico! I will be riding to the Victory MC gathering in Lake George in a few weeks if my repair is good. After thay I would like to go to Alaska and then do Russia, Mongolia, Pamir etc. Money and rapudly advancing decrepitude are my main obstacles

Suerte with the repair job and your upcoming rides :super
  2. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I still maintain that Polaris/Indian should be providing you a new ride. You've earned it.
  3. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A well earned bump back to the top. Very interesting read. Much enjoyed. Can think of two or four dozen bikes I would have preferred for such a project. But all that matters is what makes the rider doing the peddling happy. Again great RR , very well done. O, you ever come to my n.e. corner let me know. By the way I’m a retired Independent one truck fleet. 25 years N. A. was my office. Guess you would have known what PETEPILOT means. Take Care Merlin
    THE PIG likes this.
  4. vicmitch

vicmitch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I was thinking of going (and maybe presenting) at the Horizons Unlimited meet in Newfoundland this summer. Got to get the Vic ready. Probable time to replace the front tire I bought in Bariloche, that thing never seems to wear down, but it is a bit bumpy on the sides. I did put an oem shock back on it. I need to replace the intake boots on the throttle bodies. I siliconed the cracks in Ayacucho, Peru but it's leaking causing miss. I put a tank from another Vic on it as the tank lining material had delaminated and was causing fuel starvation. Here is the bike from this past September.[​IMG]
  5. 531blackbanshee

531blackbanshee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    back to page one!
    thanks for the read.
    hope all is well,

leon
    Mofrid likes this.
  6. Lanval

Lanval Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hold on a minute, I know it was a few years ago, but you did this trip for about $9,000?

Would be interesting to know your cost breakdown.
    Mofrid likes this.
  7. Hogges

Hogges Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just found this trip report last night and read every little bit of it in one go. Bravo, very well written.

Even though I succumbed to the "dark side" last year by buying a 2009 R1200GS (and wasting way too much time on the Boxer forum since), I enjoy trip reports such as yours the most. Stories from 72 Yamaha RD350 on his bagger Harley and nick949eldo on his 1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado, both going to BC/Alaska, also captivated me. I sometimes regret selling the 1998 Sportster 883 I had for 20 years and the many touring memories it gave me, despite the lack of long distance comfort.

I love your writing style and you seem to have a way with people that just gets you through everything, which is a real inspiration. Thanks and kudos to you. Ride safe.
    jfman likes this.
  8. vicmitch

Oddometer:
    It came to around $10,000 including the $1500 to ship it back to the US and the $350 across the Darian gap and the Darian gap, $800 plane ticket from BA to NY and some small amount from Panama to Colombia. Food was usually $5-$10 a day , more $5s than $10s, but always $10 in Argentina. Hostels and hotels were from $4 to $12 per night. Occasionally I would be caught in the wrong place and have to pay as much as $20. In the US I used Tent Space so that was free. I tended to use no more than a tank of gas for a riding day, 4.5 gallons. I rode less than half of the days. . Gas prices went from a low of $1.50 per gallon in Ecuador to $4.50 in Argentina. I did 2 oil changes for less than $20, 4 tires for about $200. All of the shock repairs were less than $200 as well. That's it, No valve adjustments of any other maintenance. People forget that Cruisers are designed to take 2 American sized people and their luggage around our crappy roads without a care, If I had kept the original shock, It would have been just tires, brakes and oil changes.
  9. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    in South America it's when you hit Patagonia that things go a little sour budgetwise.
  10. Lanval

Lanval Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for this. This shows the simplicity and how inexpensive such a trip is. Going back through this trip again.
  11. RhinoVonHawkrider

RhinoVonHawkrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic RR

Back to the Top.

This type of trip has been a dream ride for me for a while.

In a few years after I get all these kids out of my house....

Stay Safe everyone
  12. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know asking a question without reading is cheating and hope I don't hit a wound but did the boy finish up the BioChem program?
  13. vicmitch

Oddometer:
    Yes
    SloSolo2 likes this.
  14. cavebiker

cavebiker Old School Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm up to page 4 and can already say Fantastic Report man! Great to see these A1 reports resurface now that I have time to give them justice. Great pics, thanks for posting, look forward to the following pages :lift
  15. Lanval

Lanval Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Radom musing, but just finished the documentary on Apple.TV "Long Way Up" with Ewan MeGregor, and found it very lacking, especially towards the end, while (Not to blow smoke) this RR had more enjoyment, and description.
  16. Motoman66

Motoman66 Green Rider

Oddometer:
    Very good RR and Adventure. Congratulations. As well as Ohio Daniel, this one is worth a book writing.
    camgregus likes this.