Brooks Panniers Any Good?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 2wheelr, Dec 2, 2016.

1. 2wheelr

2wheelr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    I heard there a copy from another maker.I think there only anodized vs powder coat that's a bit more giving.Seems like all the boxes made out of 2mm sides will do the same? So $600 vs $900+ is less of a hit ,one way to say there alright.
  3. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do a search on this forum. You will find a whole thread on this.
  4. Gadawg803

Gadawg803 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have them. They seem well made but I've only had them about a month. I believe they are thicker than the Bmw Adv panniers.
  5. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
  6. kingcatfish190

kingcatfish190 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IDK -they look OK but I'm hearing the plastic mounts on the bottom will let go under a little off road stuff,(in all fairness I heard this in 2014 ), however ,(given the price )maybe a visit to a local machine shop for minor custom upgrades could do the trick? Im gonna buy em and try, and if they don't fall off at 55 mph and self destruct, maybe some better aftermarket/fabricated mounting hardware will make the 599.00 bags worthwhile. Fingers crossed.
  7. Gadawg803

Gadawg803 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have them. They seem great. Haven't done anything too hardcore but I have taken them through the woods at 35-40 mph and they stayed on. Been rained on a few times and stayed dry. They are also made from 3mm aluminum isstead of 2mm like BMW adv and touratech. It's pretty hard to go wrong just a aluminum box. I think they are a good buy.
  8. yangins

yangins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was considering them. But after looking at all three boxes and extra bracket for there top case also. I got a complete
    OEM set used for a few hundred more. Having a single key for everything and easilier to removed was key part in my decision. I use the pannier for a small table when wild camping.
  9. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where does it say made of 3mm? The bottoms.Thought some are 4mm bottoms?
    http://www.brooksautosports.com/BMW-panniers
  10. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    Not quite correct. Only the bottoms are made from 3 mm. My guess is they're made in China?
  11. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    Tablet? Table?
  12. yangins

yangins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn not evening drinking tonight. Table.
  13. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
  14. TwoTiredRiders

TwoTiredRiders Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The night is young, and it's a holiday weekend.... :beer
  15. xzatx

xzatx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. motorcity

motorcity DO YOU BELIEVE IN BIGFOOT?

Oddometer:
    Panniers are pretty fragile in general. I destroyed one of my BMW panniers (new gsa) because I didn't close it properly. It opened up while riding and the wind destroyed the whole pannier, joint in about 30 minutes @ about 80mph.
  17. yangins

yangins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still have the destroyed one . I can use some parts. Interest in buying it from you. Pmed you.
  18. kingcatfish190

kingcatfish190 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input- greatly appreciated- I think the additional attraction is not needing aftermarket racks too...............talk soon
  19. Viajero Perdido

Viajero Perdido ADVwerknonit

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind I'll jump in here with a few thoughts. I put some black Brooks panniers on my 2015 GS. My first real trip with them was with a friend to ride across Mexico for 3 weeks and 3,300 miles. We didn't do any off-road, we were in touring mode, BUT, if you know anything about Mexico, there are "topes" everywhere. Think of speed bumps. Usually they are marked and you slow down. Or the local traffic knows they are there and you slow with them. But on several occasions I didn't see them coming up and hit them hard. One time I got some air. Yes, completely off the ground.

Then in many of the smaller, colonial towns we went thru we got on old cobblestone streets. OMG, it just jars the hell out of you. You can't go too slow or the front end gets pushed around, but too fast and it vibrates like a jackhammer. Just not good at all on a bike.

The point of this is my Brooks panniers stood up to all this flawlessly. Absolutely bulletproof. They took amazing punishment. BUT, I would also note that my topbox is a BMW Vario (came with bike from a previous owner). When I went over a double tope (back to back) the whiplash snapped the topbox off and it landed on the ground (this was at a military checkpoint). Fortunately I was on my way home. I strapped it down and gingerly rode home (to Houston).

The topbox mount is held with 2 hardened steel screws and they snapped off. Not sure if the same mount would be used for a Brooks top box but in that kind of situation (with a hard whiplash effect) if anything would hold together.

So while I don't have experience with Brooks topboxes the panniers are f'ing bulletproof!

The one caveat is the pain finish I think is a weak point. You save a lot of money going with these but the savings for them is in cheaper paint. I have not bumped or scratched them but when I did a long summer camping trip I had a Wolfman dry bag strapped over my rear seat. Over the several weeks the dry bag chaffed on top of one of the panniers. The constant chaffing rubbed the finish off the top of the pannier. Not down to the metal or anything but the it is quite noticeable. I am looking for some kind of black anti-skid or friction material to cut and fit on top of the panniers. The sides are ok but will show mars or scratches if bumped.

The savings are substantial but there is a trade-off in the quality of the paint. If you are careful, or maybe don't mind getting the roughed up look on your GS these will work great.

One more point to make. The locking, latching mechanisms are first-rate. Very heavy duty. But I feared leaving one unlatched sometime as someone experienced above, so what I did was put a piece of black electrical tape over the lock on the front of the panniers. That way I am prevented from unlocking and unlatching the lids from the front. I ALWAYS open them from the rear. And, yes, one time I did discover that I had not latched a lid and rode for some distance until I stopped the next time. But because it was a rear latch it was no big deal.

Just my dos pesos, hope someone finds this useful.
  20. xzatx

xzatx Been here awhile

Oddometer:

good to hear about the panniers strength, i have the top box and it's also bullet proof. i actually use it the most.
    DMack_762 likes this.