Brown Mtn + beyond? Monday 7-30

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by knybanjo, Jul 29, 2007.

1. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    (edit) It was a GREAT ride!! PICS IN HERE

I'm off work tomorrow!
    Anybody else free to ride?

I'm feeling adventurous enough for "off road" stuff! and I'm not smart enough to not do it alone........so is there anybody out there to save me from myself?:ear
  2. Zrexrob

Zrexrob Back in the South...yep!

Oddometer:
    Went up thru there yesterday, gotta work tomorrow or i'd join in!

Be safe!
  3. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    I just got back from there. A little juicy on the north side, but good to go.

I'm finally off as well. Now I'm just working for me.

Name a time and place. Clifford is just itching for it.

Cheers
  4. Zrexrob

Oddometer:
    Just don't lead anyone down any mountain bike trails:eek1
  5. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    I'll need to get a day pass for Brown Mtn....so how about meeting at Oak Hill Groc. on 181 north of town? They still sell passes there....I hope.

What time works best for you..........I'm free all day ...but how does late morning or early afternoon sound?.......sometime between 10am and 2pm? (kinda like the cable guy):lol3

I'll check back later and we'll nail down a good time.

p.s. I liked the last mtn bike trail we rode!:ricky
  6. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    All of that sounds fine. I'm totally flexible, so if you even wanna call when you're on the way, that's good. I'm puttering at the house, so I can leave whenever. They do sell passes at both Cloer's and the Space station.

One caveat. It's raining here right now, albeit not very hard. I probably wouldn't go to Brown if we got any significant amount of rain. It was pretty muddy and also slippery today. Right now the forecast looks pretty hit and miss. I do know a few mountain bike trails that would be dryer, however. :evil As long as you don't have a street tire on, you should be fine. I'm never going to live that down.

Just make sure your mom signs your permission slip, or you cant go on the trip. :deal
  7. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    OK :deal
    Let's aim for 10am at the Space Station (that is Oak Hill Gro right?)and I won't buy my pass till after we meet and discuss.
    I think I still have your # so I'll call when I get underway. If nobody else chimes in maybe I could just swing by your place....but I'll need a refresher on the directions.
    :wave
  8. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    PM sent. 10 am at Oak Hill unless I hear from you. I ran to Lowe's (trip number 412) and it appeared to be clearing up. :clap

:norton
  9. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    :clapMan that was a Great ride!!:thumb:thumb
    Gaston thanks again for taking on some great trails.....I think our rides qualify as mtn bikes...don't you?:D
    Single track is FUN although I didn't take too many pics......Here's a few from Brown Mtn ORV area.
    We started up the main road/trail and here's a little mud hole the ATVs like to play in.
    [​IMG]
    More of the main trail...it has lots of errosion control "jumps" and banked corners...
    [​IMG]
    Just a bit more technical as we turn off main st.
    [​IMG]
    Then on to something a bit tighter...
    [​IMG]
    My personal tour guide for the day!:wave
    [​IMG]
    :ricky
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hey! I just seen a bear!!Gaston tells me.....:thumb
    [​IMG]
    Back on a shared trail
    [​IMG]
    Parked near the top......
    [​IMG]
    ....where these crazy rocks are stacked up...looks like rain on the next mtn...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now here's where things get interesting.....we're gonna ride down what?:lol3
    [​IMG]
    and over the edge he goes!:evil:ricky
    [​IMG]
    How about another one?:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The worst mishap of the day was toppled kick stand.....oops:eek1take pic then help:evil
    [​IMG]
    Then it was off to find some lunch....Thats all the pics I got as we ran into some rain and my camera is not water resistant:deal Gaston, you got some pics too don't ya?:D
    I had a blast! Let's not wait too long to do some more of that kind of riding!:thumb:thumb:ricky
    :wave
  10. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    Possibly the best pic of the day!:rofl
    [​IMG]
  11. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Kevin got his permission slip signed, or at least it was a convincing forgery, so it was onto the activity bus.

I had a bunch of fun. Thanks for the ride. We saw yellow turtles, black bears, brown mountains, and green rocks. I tried to tree the bear, but it was having none of it. It was all I could do to keep up with it.

Trail 5. I'm pretty sure Kevin has the first highway peg run through here, not to mention some other tracks. WWJD=What would Juha do? [​IMG]

It seemed like he was having fun (I know I was), so we went to Trail 2 out to the overlook. From there, we did the 9/10 combo, but first we did some stuff marked only by some Moose arrows.

Oh no you didn't just ride down that rock.

[​IMG]

Oh yes he did. Here is where he started from.

[​IMG]

Note the angle of rider in comparison to the trees. He's the only straight guy on the mountain.

[​IMG]

I wonder what Moab is like.

[​IMG]

I wouldn't know Louise if she slapped me in the face with a 10 pound bass, but I try to tell people about her restaurant.

[​IMG]

Even though it looks sort of promising, Kevin donned his frog togs, and it was a good thing as we were in a full on rain storm, complete with thunder audible at a 50 mph clip.

So we're soaking wet, why not take some smaller tracks to get down the mountain. Like I said, Kevin seemed like he was having fun.

[​IMG]

We did some gravel and on to another forest track which has appeared in previous ride reports. This is not the first time we had encountered this log. However, someone cut the limbs off and stacked them up in the moto line. I have it on good authority that they didn't do it on Ride to Work Day.

[​IMG]

We had one more encounter with wet wood that required a little teamwork. Shortly thereafter I went on reserve and was beginning to feel the onset of crotchrot, so it was back to Rally HQ. Kevin checked the radar and plotted a course between the raindrops.

No animals were harmed (except for that snake, but we didn't do that) in the making of today's ride. Thanks for coming out and thanks for looking.

Cheers
  12. sinner

sinner Flea or not to Flea?

Oddometer:
    <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"></TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Nice pics dude. looks like better fun than we have ! SAND sand more sand.:D
  13. Stromin'Nroman

Stromin'Nroman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks like fun, I've done stuff like that under pedal power. I recently learned my VStrom won't handle stuff like that.

Cheers!
  14. BuellBob

BuellBob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I've almost endoed my quad in that mud hole
  15. motocyco

motocyco nOOb

Oddometer:
    Man, if that's the kind of riding I have to look forward to in NC, then I'm stoked. :clap

Glad y'all had fun. Wet is tollerable when you're having fun.
  16. Zrexrob

Oddometer:
    Lokks like y'all had a great time!!
  17. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    :dealIndeed we did!

I hope you have good weather! There's lots of great riding over by where you'll be!