Brutal Bay Area afternoon summer winds

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Andrew, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn... all I did was take a wee ride out to the coast, and then inland to Santa Rosa. That was fine, and it was good to see the ocean and the redwoods. But then I got into the afternoon winds south of Sonoma... :yikes. I was leaned over about 15 degrees on 37, but the blustery wind kept me making corrections all the way to Vallejo. Once past the bottleneck, it was manageable until I got hit hard from the other side at the Carquinez Bridge. Fuck me, that may have been the strongest side-push I've ever dealt with. It remained unpleasant all the way down to Berkeley, only easing up after I found my line on the Ashby overpass.

I'm glad I was on a heavy bike, I tell you what.
  2. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    This summer I was riding in Nevada on the 95 and the I80, there was some kind of downdraft area I went through and a gust blew me just over the white line onto the shoulder. Scared the poopie out of me.
  3. K. L. Rocket

K. L. Rocket Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer:
    Wind blows.
  4. skag

skag No Monkeys

Oddometer:
    The Bay Area is not windy. The valley sucks. A heat wave just broke out here.
  5. DonniBoi

DonniBoi Out of my element Supporter

Oddometer:
    Carquinez Bridge is always windy. 37 not so much. i live in santa rosa and it gets windy at the coast but there was a good amount of wind out this weekend
  6. FJKai

FJKai Off Road Lurker

Oddometer:
    Meh.... Down south here we deal with the Santa Ana winds all the time. Street bikes, dirt bikes, etc.. Imagine hiting some decent sized jumps while the wind is torquing, that's scary. :ricky
  7. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Santa Barbara Counry "Sun Downer" winds between Gaviota and Golita can get really, really strong.

I've had Santa Ana winds blowing through the Ventura/Los Angeles County line on the 118 fwy, blow me over 2 lanes of traffic while riding a Honda VFR!

I've had high winds up in the Randsburg area of th high desert blow me and a couple other guys off of a ridge during a desert race!
  8. airfin

airfin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go ride 101 through king city. 37 will feel like nothing more than a deep breath