Brutus: The CB550F Cafe/Gravel Runner Build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by JB2, Nov 11, 2015.

1. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Okay guys... fair enough. :D

Believe it or not I have been working on the little Honda. Most importantly I have been clearing the shelves off of unused and stale inventory via FleaBay and Craig's. I'm down to spending money on the bike and without heat in the shop it seemed the best time to cover that base. Good news is I have sold almost everything I have posted so Brutus will be getting some much needed tires, rims, spokes and brakes. I've decided in the few weeks of off-time that the bike will remain cafe'-ish but with a dual-sport twist. Can you say Heidenau K60 Scout tires? The little bastard is starting to look like a small bulldog with "little dog syndrome". I think the tires and some choice suspension work will make it a great street bike & gravel runner.

I have also been working in the basement on the tins. WLW should like the treatment I gave to the OEM chain guard... lightning holes! Freakin' yeah! :thumb Hopefully by the end of this coming weekend I will have the tank, fenders, side-covers & chain guard ready for paint. I have been taking pics so I'll update this thread with photos and less talk Sunday evening.
    :beer

On another note I have dragged out an old friend. It is a tool that WLW won't be able to buy anywhere at any price but I almost guarantee he'd love to have one being the TW that he is. I'm currently doing a little reshaping on the surfaces and getting the beast ready for continued use and a photo-op. So for WayLong and others following this thread here's a riddle... what is this? I have never published a photo of it although it can be seen in the background of some other pics posted here on ADV. It has been in use in my shop for over 35 years. It weighs in at around 400 pounds and does not require electricity. It only has one moving part. It's original position was horizontal, it is now vertical. It can be used as a shop stool when not in use. Hammers welcome.

Good luck on your guesses. There is no prize if you are correct but I would let you use it if you are ever in the 'hood. :rayof

Thanks for checking in guys and keeping me on my toes. :freaky
    waylongway and nuggets like this.
  2. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scavenger Tool Hunt.....!!:deal :wings:jive :rilla

I have looked at every pic......:dirtdog I See a few things but not what it might be....??

English wheel....?:scratch:hmmmmm:dunno
    JB2 likes this.
  3. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Actually WayLong, that's how I acquired the damned thing while I was scabbing stuff to landscape the house we'd just bought... and still live in. It became a tool from day one. Sat in the corner of my drive for 25 years but was in constant use during the summer when I could expand my work area to the driveway. I brought it inside about ten years ago and gave it a permanent place in the shop. I'll post pics in a month or so when I have it done and back in service. I think you'd really appreciate it. :D It's stupid cool! :1drink

I've been a member on ADV since '08 and the shop has been in several others' ride reports when they overnighted here. That's about all I'll say but none of those pics are on the Brutus page.

Clue: Think of a fist... what industrial thing mimics a closed fist? :hmmmmm
    waylongway likes this.
  4. oregonsurveyor

oregonsurveyor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anvil?
    JB2 likes this.
  5. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    A Variable Angle Swing Press, with Convex Impactor?

(aka a ball-peen hammer)
    zzzak and JB2 like this.
  6. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sybian?
    JimVonBaden and JB2 like this.
  7. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Oregon - You're half right. It was something else in it's former life. Now it would be called a *****-anvil

16VGTIDave - Not enough moving parts.

Wildebeest - Uh, you'd really have to stretch your imagination and other body parts for that. Not that someone wouldn't or hasn't tried. :fpalm

Clue: It held many trucks together in it's former life.
  8. waylongway

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:dunno.......
    JB2 likes this.
  9. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    train coupler
    JagLite and JB2 like this.
  10. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Damn, 4 posts in to your inmate-ship and you sniped the pros! You did good VX Rider. :thumb I think the last clue could have been the final piece of the puzzle but I'm not sure how many folks would know they call the wheel assemblies on a box-car a truck. I really figured WayLong had this sewed up.

It is a hitch-anvil. Heavy bastard. Great for forming sheet-metal, rod-stock, flat-stock. I'll post a per-refurbish pic this evening and a blurb about how I acquired it. :beer
  11. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:

Two clues actually, started life HORIZONTAL, and Industrial item shaped MOST like a FIST! Then the held many trucks together just put a bow on it.
    JB2 likes this.
  12. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    VX Rider - So if you ever get to Indiana and need to bend something up... :nod I figured I had pretty much given it away with the last clue if someone had been exposed to trains in the least. I grew up just a few hundred yards from a train yard. We played on them as kids, hitched rides to the next town, hunted rabbits along the service road in the winter. Me loves some trains.
  13. waylongway

Oddometer:
    Cowboy tool.........:fpalm
    JB2 likes this.
  14. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    >> Cowboy tool.........:fpalm

WayLong, I figured it was so stupid cool that you'd like it. :scratch Maybe the photo will help? We'll see. It sure has earned it's keep in my shop along with plenty of WTFs from riders and fellow fabricators. One thing is for sure you can't buy one. I like home made tools and I really like the tag "Cowboy tool". I'd never though of it that way but I really like it. Thanks! :thumb
  15. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    So, back to that cool 'busa. I've always wondered about front fenders like that, ever since I saw a picture in a magazine of the Buell RR. Mid-80's?

[​IMG]

I'm assuming there is a drag reduction in the design and wonder if there is a mpg gain to be had on a street bike?
    JB2 likes this.
  16. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    I'm no expert (except sometimes on the internet! :lol3 ). But I'd expect a noticeable, though slight, increase in fuel economy at legal highway speeds. An increase in the top speed of the bike would be more dramatic as drag increases exponentially with speed. There are a number of small aircraft with fixed landing gear that use similar skirts/fenders on the wheels for just this reason.
    larryboy and JB2 like this.
  17. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    larryboy - You have a good eye. Regarding the Busa-ized GSXR you are referring to... that is a 1987 Buell RR1000 fender we modified for the 'Zuk. I had modified a Buell RR1000 for Team Elves Land Speed Racing back in 2004. During the process I was introduced to Don McCaw who also races at Bonneville and makes reproduction body parts for the RR1000. When I started the 'Zuk project we purchased one of Don's repop front fenders for it. There are several other manufacturers who make a similar fender. If you look at most any of the bikes racing at B'ville they are running a front fender similar to the RR1000. Logic would say that if it cuts a cleaner path through the air that it would save on MPG's. I have no proof to back the theory up but many racers who agree it's the cheapest improvement you can add to make a salt flats bike faster.

16VGTIDave - Sounds like we are using the same reasoning and arriving at the same conclusion.:thumb
    16VGTIDave and larryboy like this.
  18. Mobil1

Mobil1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Targa made those back in the 80's for most Japanese sport bikes.
    JB2 likes this.
  19. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I remember seeing them. It's front tire time on my GoldWing and the way the fender bolts onto the front makes me wonder if I could save a 1/4 gallon a day. 175 miles per day gives me plenty of time to daydream. :lol3
    JB2 and waylongway like this.
  20. waylongway

Oddometer:
    I call handicap......:baby

The whole looks like a fist thing threw me.....?:confused As growing up I have seen many hitch anvil's for shoeing a horse and a guy at work would shoe on the side and that looked something like this.....:bash Cowboy tool......:deal

[​IMG]

But I have Never seen the fist one you must have till a google search....:choppa Maybe it's a back east thing.....:scratch

[​IMG]

And Tool Whore all ready has one.....:hide

[​IMG]

:loco.........:eekers.........:bow:bow:bow
    JagLite, JB2 and highnoonhunter like this.