BST idle mixer screw adjustment tools

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by loud640, Apr 13, 2005.

1. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Well... lets say that your bike is dialed in at sea level. When your off-road, in some nasty single track, luggin' 'er down to a snooge above idle to get thru some basketball size rocks, then given 'er a yank and a crank to clear a log, or dead body... what ever, and the throttle response is as it should be... perfectly BST bitchin'. :D

Now, lets say you go to BC for Loadedpalooza V3.0 and your at 5K feet. Same kind of terrain, but with bears and vermouth... wouldn't it be nice to just take 10 seconds to turn the screw in a half a turn or so, while the bike is hot and running, and hear the idle speed clean up and get all crisp and BST bitchin' again... so when the bears with vermouth come after you... you can squirt off with all the responsiveness that the razor sharp BST is capable of?

Yes... yes it would. :nod
  2. Jamie

Jamie .

Oddometer:
    Fantastic. Thanks for your work.
  3. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Enough to have it run right when riding several thousand feet above sea level? :scratch I'd much rather just turn a knob (I rejet before the trips), as opposed to fiddling with a stubby and other such tools when I get there. :nod It's a no-brainer.
  4. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After you guys thoroughly test the prototype at near sea level on Saturday, I'll be happy to bring it back here for some high altitude testing. :wink:

I'll take mine in anodized orange please. :deal
  5. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    If you're good. :evil
  6. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    get a room you two! :arg
  7. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ask Loaded - he'll tell ya! :evil
  8. Velocibiker

Velocibiker Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer:
    Geez. Sometimes you guys make it sound like our bike / carb is big POS. Nobody, I mean NOBODY I have ever ridden with is so friggin picky about having a perfectly tuned carb every second of the day.

I know some guys that will carry a few extra mains just in case, but great googly moogly fellas! We're not out here runnin' Dakar. If you can't hump it over a fallen log at either 2 thou or 5 thou without playing with your screws, you got other problems.

But YES. YES! YES! YES! I agree! I do. REALLY!

If there's a tool, mod, or time saving gadget to make your bike run better, I'm all for it. Ya just sometimes make it seem that if you're not constantly fiddleing with the old land tanker you're gonna have problems. I'm simply saying that's not the case.....

Creeps - your point is well taken. 10 seconds (or less) to smooth it out and reset your idle and off ya go. Happy happy. Yep yep. Well, If I don't have the long wanker screw, I'll just make do. And ya know what, I'll still be happy happy 'cause I'll know it's gonna be a little rich and maybe a little slugish off idle and I'll compensate for it.

Sorry guys - this has gotten OT and I apologize. It's just one of those things in life that bugs the shit out of me sometimes. I'll go now and keep my testimonies to myself like good boy. Bless the BST. Amen. Goodnight.
  9. loud640

loud640 I like beer!!

Oddometer:
    Nah, I just like playing with stuff like this.

BUT my bike isn't running a bit sluggish off idle at the moment. It is really bad enough to stop me riding it until I get enough time to set it properly.

I don't know if I will need to fettle this stuff regularly or not, but I resent not using the bike 'cause of some silly little screw.
  10. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    just a thought Colin. I hear issues with the zipty unit vibrating like a pendulum and messing up the threads and Carb body itself. so people are putting a small O'ring over the screw where it recesses in to the carb. (also keeps it from moving on its own I hear) a bit of a shoulder extending below the threads might not be a bad idea so it doesn't have the space for a lateral load on the threads alone. does that make sense?

btw Shwing :thumb
  11. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    you're a fart smeller dag. i added a bit of thread, so there should be room for an o-ring. i'll check.

i can't do these on my lathe... they're just too small. i'll have to do them in one of the small cnc lathes at work. jaysus... are they small!

here's the biz end of the prototype made of steel. only one end done... it's ready to turn around and do the neck... forgot to take pics of it after (and i don't feel like going out to the garage now)

[​IMG]
  12. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    That's a big knob you got there dearie...
  13. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    sweet. you need a collet chuck... and a Hardinge. :lol3
    tapers that small got a be a bitch on a manual :thumb
  14. Surly

Surly surly adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is a big knob
    Lell hug Loaded....er...Lets all pretend we hugged Loaded

I saw these babies that just have a T at the bottom
    Might reduce the mass of the thing and be easier to make

[​IMG]

and this "extension" not sure how it works
    [​IMG]
  15. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    yeah yeah yeah... i turned it down... just like the drawing. fark that thing is small.
  16. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    surly's T-screw is a cool thought! :nod
  17. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    glad to read your turning it around to work on that BIG KNOB! :lol3

anyways, I noticed the stocker looks like it has an extra tier between the tip and the threads; why did you leave that off of yours?
  18. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    dats a black mark from an o-ring. mine will have that too once it's been in a carb for a couple minutes.
  19. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Looks pretty nice to me Loaded... I know that turning that tip on a manual is a major bitch... your starting to approach watchworks size parts. :eek1
    Considering the FCR screw kinda works (sorta), even if you just get close to duplicating the stock taper... I think it will work pretty good.

The FCR screws problem, when used in a BST, is that it is pretty much ineffectual in between full open and almost full closed.
  20. Surly

Surly surly adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just like some women the BST requires more tip penetration :wink: