Budget Nx 650 Dominator adventure bike build

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Underground, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Break_Syncro

Break_Syncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice Dominator you got there. Great work!
  2. Underground

Underground unbefuckingbelievable

Oddometer:
    I saw some info about how to do this on some forum and it really is quite easy.
    Bear in mind that the Dommie is a bit different to alot of bikes in that it breathes from the inside of the filter towards the outside.
    I started with $10 worth of filter foam from Para Rubber (enough to make 4 filters, could almost treat them as disposable at that price) a dirty OEM paper filter and of course the obligatory homebrew.

[​IMG]

I then proceeded to hack and scrape the paper filter out of the body
    [​IMG]

The first one I tried gluing together with contact glue but it just fell apart when I oiled it so the next one I made a bit longer and cut a chamfer on each end and just overlapped it.
    [​IMG]

i found some stiff kind of plastic mesh in the shed to hold it in position.
    Not sure if this is necessary but if it backfired it could potentially blow the foam out ?? better to be safe than sorry I guess.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Pablo83

Pablo83 Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer:
    good stuff
  4. Underground

Oddometer:
    Well I havent updated this for a while, I'm really slack like that.
    I've actually been doing quite a bit to the bike getting it ready for the WAR ride which I have just done, which was a good shakedown for the rapidly approaching Dusty Butt.
    Felt like making something one day so I fashioned these footpeg extensions out of some scrap steel and welded them on (quite roughly) with my primitive welding equipment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This makes an immense difference especially when standing, but its one of those things that you dont notice after 10mins riding and I quickly forgot how rediculously small the oem ones were.
  5. Underground

Oddometer:
    Next up was my experimental luggage system and seat rebuild.
    The oem rack is about the most useless piece of junk possible to call a luggage rack and is almost impossible to hook bungee's on to....so out it went.
    I've tried to build something that sits as low as possible, doesnt get in the way, attaches firmly, quick to take on/off, easy to access and expandable.
    So far it's worked spot on.

First (as usual) was the cardboard version.
    [​IMG]

Then the scrap aluminium plate was cut and folded with my special folding machine.
    [​IMG]

And a nice long ride on the AT to get the welding done at a local engineers.
    [​IMG]

I dusted off my industrial sewing machine (a relic from a previous life as a canvas worker) and hunted out some scraps of material (yes, there was some red stuff !!)
    Made up three separate bags with velcro on the bottoms to stop them sliding about and bungees over the top to hold them down, this way I can use 1, 2 or all three bags depending on what i need to carry.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Underground

Oddometer:
    The seat was next, I kept it narrow where my legs come together while standing or or trying to get a foot on the ground and widened it out where my arse cheeks sit, I kept it the same height and was surprised at how well it worked on the long highway K's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I was doing this I extended the fuel rack forward and made a bag which holds a spare front and rear tube.
    [​IMG]

And because the luggage is now where those stupid big indicators were I fitted some little LED ones along with the correct flasher unit to run them.
    [​IMG]

At the last minute I needed a mirror to Get a WOF and didnt have anywhere to attach it so I zip tied this old one to the barkbuster and it actually works real good, it will probably get demolished if I go down on that side tho.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Now we know where to go to get bags and seats done :evil
  8. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Now thats a great bit of work done, and some real clever mods.
    I like seeing where people actually make something rather than just buying it from some supplier and fitting it.
    You got a big roll of number 8 somewhere?:D
    That seat mod is excellent, thats one thing the stock seat is good for is making your arse numb after only a few miles.
    I heard that a fresh 80grit sandpaper flap disc on a 4.5" grinder is a good way of shaping hard foam as well, never tried it though.
  9. Underground

Oddometer:
    Yes I once was a 'man of the cloth'
  10. Underground

Oddometer:
    I've tried that flap disk grinder thing, works good...... just a little hint here Bounder, do it outdoors :lol3
  11. The Jester

The Jester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice work, a well thought out build.
  12. 621andy

621andy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Turkey, Myanmar, or sometimes at home in Germany!
    Really nice build that:wink:

Like the luggage and fuel rack...given me some ideas for my AT:evil

Great stuff!
  13. McGoo

McGoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love the philosophy of 'why spend when you can build' on this bike, excellent work. Amd you've given me some ideas for my own bike, thanks!
  14. Underground

Oddometer:
    I rebuilt this '84ish xr250r shock (used NX spring of course) with a new seal head kit, new oil this time 5w and had it gassed up.
    You can see in the pic that it has 2 circlips in the bottom so I left out the top one and it ended up just the right length for me.....350mm now I think.
    Only problem is that it seems to have a bit too much travel and the brake cyl is trying to beat its way through the muffler also the tyre is hitting the inner guard on the big hits.
    I will try to slip a spacer in to limit the travel....maybe 5mm should do it.
    Shock has to come out anyways to replace the top bush which is had it and causing the bike to be skittish on the corrugations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Underground

Oddometer:
    Just to show that the dommie doesnt spend all its time in the basement getting farkled, here's a few pics of the machine in action.
    I traveled to the North Island for a ride organised by buggsubique in the army training area and called the Waiuru Adventure Ride (WAR)
    Great to get out and ride the closest thing we have in NZ to a desert, awesome fun.
    I travelled about 1300km and it was a good shakedown ride, nothing broke or played up and I'm pleased with how it works, although it is ripped appart again.... getting ready for the Dusty Butt in 10 days time :ricky
    First 3 pics are mine and the rest were taken by bart .....we let him come along on some of our rides as he does take the odd passable snap :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. luckychucky

luckychucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those little foot-pegs just suck. I like the weld on wider ones you used. I've got the little ones on my 82 XL500R. Pretty sure they didn't sell that bike in the US. My XL500R came from UK with the same little foot-pegs
  17. rlkat

rlkat Mine's a whisky

Oddometer:
    I'm inspired.
    Love the pragmatic functionality of it. Top marks +10.

rob
  18. Underground

Oddometer:
    The starter motor died on me so I took it off and found that the brushes were completely buggered.
    This ended up being a relatively cheap and easy fix so if your Dommie is getting a bit long in the tooth it would pay to do this as a maintenance job especially if you dont have the kick start model.
    These starters are shared by quite a few Honda's including some 4 wheelers so my local dealer just grabbed one straight off the shelf.

[​IMG]

Amazing how worn they get before they give up the ghost altogether

[​IMG]
  19. Underground

Oddometer:
    Next up was the rear brake, the disc had a crack in it and the reservoir was stuffed so I renewed pretty much everything....this ended up being the single most expensive thing in the whole build.
    The complete reservoir and master cyl kit was the best way to deal with those items.
    I put new seals, pins, pads etc in the wheel cyl and added a braided line and a new disc.
    Works good !

[​IMG]
  20. MTKNZ

MTKNZ Touring Kiwi

Oddometer:
    I do love to see Kiwi ingenuity at work, onya mate.
    Great build, great attitude, cool pics too.
    Thanks for sharing.