Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Jamie Z, Feb 26, 2008.

1. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jamie - The PDF in post #1 is a broken link and I confess I have not gone through the 18 pages of this thread to see if it was re-posted. Any chance you could post a fresh link or share the PDF somehow? I am interested in what it had to say and would like to print it if possible. Thanks!

Also, free bump for a worthy topic.
  2. wescat

wescat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man... that was my old college website. They finally took it down.

Um... I'm going to have to search to see if I have a copy of that PDF anywhere (or if anyone has it saved, please message me). And I might have to look into updating it. My budget travel techniques have evolved a bit since I wrote that piece.

Jamie
    boulet_boulet likes this.
  4. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Wow... I thought for sure I had that file saved somewhere. I even dug out an old backup harddrive I had in the back of my desk, thinking it must be on there... no luck.

So I went through old emails, and I found an email from twelve years ago where I attached the PDF. Yay!

Here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P2aXg3z48zgVr-wD3yX5RxaeNT8dVUKn/view?usp=sharing

Let me know if the link does (or doesn't) work. I've also updated the first post in this thread.

Thanks for letting me know that my link was dead.

Jamie
  5. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Worked for me. Thanks!
    Jamie Z likes this.
  6. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've just read through the article and thought damn, Jamie Z invaded my brain while I was sleeping! Almost everything is right on:super.

Sadly, some of the stuff from 12 years ago is now dated: "as much as $20 a night for a campsite" ? These days that's the cheap end of the spectrum and I now avoid campgrounds like the plague as there is still a lot of free camping on public lands in the (western) US. This is in contrast to Europe where there isn't much in the way of public land but camping is a great value. $20 is on the the expensive end, found in places that have all sorts of stuff you don't need like a swimming pool. Pricing is generally a la carte - a couple Euro for you, one more for the tent, and a couple for the moto. That way you are not subsidizing all the "camping" crates. The cheapest I stayed at was 3 Euro for the night. And all campgrounds have standard amenities like hot showers, sinks for washing up dishes and real flush toilets - compare that to stinky pit toilets and stinkier campers that haven't bee able to find a shower for a week.

The other thing that's out of date in the last 12 years are guide books (and now social media) - anything in those books is now packed to the gills with people and focused on income generation. I now travel without a plan and just stumble across all sorts of cool stuff to experience that's cheap or free.

Last but not least I want to express my thanks to @Jamie Z for all the effort he put into creating and maintaining the Tent Space thread(s). I have enjoyed using it and gotten even more enjoyment out of hosting a few travelers at my place!
  7. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Geez, did you get in my head? I had exactly the same thoughts. I hadn't read through my article in at least a year, probably more. So I read through it again recently when I reposted it here in this thread, and I found the same dated information you did. I saw my comment about campgrounds costing as much as $20, and I reminisced about those days when campgrounds were so cheap! A fewof years ago in Canada, a couple other guys and I camped in a Provincial Park campground and I think it was $45, plus an extra fee because we had three vehicles.

And you're exactly right about social media. When I wrote the article I wasn't on Facebook, didn't own a smartphone, and still carried books with me on my travels! Imagine that!

Perhaps I'll update my article...

Thank you for the kind words about the Tent Space. Be sure to post your pictures and stories here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/tent-space-experiences.1087594/

Jamie
    Macho Man2 likes this.
  8. Tall Man

Tall Man Medium timer

Oddometer:
    I've always traveled without a plan, beginning at 18, and it works. Not once can I recall this M.O. compromising me in a way that would cause me to abandon it. It's easy enough to type Depend on your wits, but time has proven this mantra to be correct. That, and giving one's self the appearance of being a hard target. That's a separate thread, though.
    Macho Man2 likes this.