Budgeting for SA trip

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Leaky_eddie, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Leaky_eddie

Leaky_eddie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Folks,

I'm new to adventure riding but I'm planning a whopper of a trip. I'm leaving NC and aiming at Argentina. I have a friend riding with me as far as Panama and from there I'll ship my bike down to Quito in mid October and hope to hook-up whit a rider or two heading South.

My question is about budgeting. I'm thinking along the lines of $70/day broken down as gas: $15, food: $25, lodging: $30. I know I'm high on the food and lodging and my thinking is that the overage will accrue and cover unforeseen expenses like repairs, new tires or the occasional nice hotel.

So all you Central and South America travel vets – am I way off? What am I not thinking about? How would you suggest I figure this out differently?

I did search the board to see if I could find anything on budgeting – got tons of GREAT info on everything from how to beat a shakedown by the Policia to top 10 KLR mods – but not much on responsible financial planning for an irresponsible trip. Any advice?
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    You can travel very comfortably on $70 per.
    Now...add in beer and other vices...:D
  3. Leaky_eddie

Leaky_eddie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an 04 KLR 650, mostly stock. Current mods are braded break cable, higher windshield, bar snake, lowered links, gel grips and Corbin seat.

for the trip I'm thinking that I'll need:
    skid plate
    brush guards
    nerf bars
    magnetic drain plug
    Bar risers
    Frame bolt upgrade
    toothed foot pegs
    Scott oiler
    center stand
    heated grips
    plug for heated vest

I'm also thinking that I'll do the .22 cent and T-mods on the carb, and add a cigarette lighter plug. Will also re-grease the swing arm and steering head. What other mechanical mods do I need to consider to get this bike as bullet-proof (SA proof) as possible? Right now I'm running the stock nobbies but will change those out just before I leave.

I weigh 175 and I'm guessing I'll have about 50 – 60 lbs of gear fully loaded. Do you think I'll need to beef up the suspension?

Any input form yall that have experience is GREATLY appreciated.