buell dualsport

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by tigertom, Jul 11, 2005.

1. tigertom

tigertom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you go to Buells website they will be announcing a new dualsport in 2 weeks. They play a little video that goes from city to highway to dirt.
  2. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Oughta be pretty funny. Can't wait...
  3. mr7q

mr7q Stupid and Contagious

Oddometer:
    Might not be a total lost cause... If anything, it'll expand the market for the type of bike.

Any idea on which engine they're developing it? I'm guessing the Blast engine (~500cc thumper if I remember correctly).
  4. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    Lord I hope not. More weight than a KLR engine with less power. Hooray!
  5. MysteryRider

MysteryRider Laughing at danger

Oddometer:
  6. Mr.Grumpy

Mr.Grumpy Banned

Oddometer:
    OK, ever notice how the Jap bike mags have spy shots of the new Jap bikes way before thay are unvieled? Ever notice how the Euro mags have spy shots of the Euro bikes way before they are unvieled? Well, this is America damn it. Why can't we give out Jap and Euro frienda (and quite frankly US) some desent spy shots of what looks to be a GROUND BREAKING AMERICAN motorcycle? They had to ahve tested these things some where! Yes, the vidio was clear "Own all the corners". Indeed.
  7. soloyosh

soloyosh Dad and husband Supporter

Oddometer:
    :splat <-Wishin I could say something
  8. CuzinMike

CuzinMike Treedragger

Oddometer:
    "Dualsport" is a relative term. I'm willing to bet the thing will be a streetbike with a bit more suspension travel.
  9. Johnny KLR

Johnny KLR Woefully Adventurous

Oddometer:
    It is supposed to weigh more than a KLR, but produce 80hp. I don't think it'll be a dual-sport though; the teaser trailer and the whole Buell concept would really favor a motard bike. I hope that's where they are going; anything else would just be foolish. A belt drive on an offorad vehicle?!? A little rock up in belt will shred it; I've seen it happen plenty of times on the road!
  10. Kingsqueak

Kingsqueak Wannabe

Oddometer:
    My money is on a Buell Multistrada type mount, which might be interesting. Particularly since all the Buell models are evidently designed for people about 5'5" with a 30" inseam. I can't even get my feet up onto the damned rearsets without an instant hip cramp.

The Blast motor would be a waste of time as said and the big motor certainly isn't anything you would want to take on trails.

The Blast motor is more of a VW Beetle than even my KLR. It's not a bad little bike, but I can't imagine them wasting time making it into a dual sport.

Unless they've developed some whole new motor...but I find it hard to believe that it never got mentioned anywhere in the process.
  11. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    I doubt the bike will be that, an alternative, affordable american made bike yes, but groundbreaking i doubt. RIDE ON!
  12. jimjib

jimjib Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally I dont want a ground breaking motorcycle for an adv bike...I want.....

* Reliability
    * Good off road suspension
    * Good range
    * Comfortable on the long haul.

The KLR of big twins if you will.

I think if buell is smart...this platform will be an easy upgrade from an adv bike to a motard. If this is what they have done, their timing is perfect and they will sell many.
  13. jasonixo

jasonixo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    http://www.nallinracing.com/ekitbuellblast.shtml

Honestly, if someone can pull a fresh bike outta their butt and do well with it, it's Erik Buell. I've been on BadWeb (www.badweatherbikers.com) for a while and I have a 98 S1 White Lightning. Buell bikes are well built and very well thought out. They aren't w/c 4 cyl. and covered in plastic and therefore don't appeal to mainstream critics who like to trash them in publications...

Erik designs with an open mind and passion for what he's doing. I think a lot of people will be impressed with what he turns out if you look further than mainstream hyped-up sportbike magazines.

Jasonixo
    98 Buell S1W
    -spot reserved for 640 Adv.-<SPOT Adv. 640 for reserved>
  14. jimjib

jimjib Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bet it will be lighter than the GS too.
  15. CuzinMike

CuzinMike Treedragger

Oddometer:
    Hell, some cars are lighter than a GS...
  16. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    i hear harley engines are preety reliable these days; wont take much to beat ktm on this front. Suspension will be tough though-i'll take the reliability
  17. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Just my take:

I think Buell is get'n to the dance a bit late.

I think the Adventure bike fad, limited as it really is, is gonna fade soon.

The GS really has just been a street bike for the last 10 years with some people have'n a great time off road with it. The smaller more dirt oriented bikes are pick'n up a following in the very small dirt/adventure world.

As was said, a motard version of a Buell bike could very well sell, a real off road adventure bike will go bust.

I will admit, I have been wrong many times try’n to predict the motorcycle market place. :lol3 I’m glad it is a sport for me and I don’t have to make a live’n at it. :nod
  18. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    I think you're right. Personally I think it will be a Buell Multistrada, not a GS/950. Why? It fits with the Buell image. HD and Buell are about street bikes unlike KTM, and taking the risk BMW did so many years ago doesn't really make sense in such a limited NA market. I'm thinking it is going to be a Vtwin multistrada-like Firebolt. Good enough for trackdays, belt driven, and probably a hell of a lot of fun.

I'm in the market for a new bike, to sit beside the GS. The current runners are DRZ400SM, 640 ADV with the Multistrada S, K12S as outside, money be damned, shots. I'm waiting on the R12S and now I'll wait on the Buell.
  19. jimjib

jimjib Long timer

Oddometer:
    Everyone I know with a Gs gets them dirty all the time. Maybe its just you city boys that only ride them on street :D

Even though the experts said a big trailie wouldnt sell here in the US..the GS is proof that assumption was wrong. I believe the GS has been bmws biggest seller over the years. I see many guys trading there sport bikes for a adv and ds bikes these days.
  20. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see'em, too.

And they don't stray from pavement much.

Hell, my 950 hasn't been straying from pavement much, but that's mostly because they're pavin' all the dirt roads around here faster than I can ride'em -- that 5:2, work:play thing is workin' against me. But that same phenomenon is hittin' the new buyers just as hard. The dirtly world is shrinking. And in Central Texas, Multistradas are beginning to sell.

I'll bet on Buell MS rather than a Buell DS.
    A FireboltStrom not a FireboltBaja.

I'm goin' to leave old Texas now
    Ain't got no use for the longhorn cow.
    They've plowed and fenced my cattle range
    And the people there are all so strange.

:cry