Buena Vista, Salida, Bonanza, Sargents info '19

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by ramz, Apr 22, 2019.

1. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I spoke with Yon at Tomichi Creek Trading Post in Sargents this morning concerning his trail clearing plans for Saturday and Sunday. People are already checking in for the weekend at the Trading Post cabins. Yon has personally cleared a lot of trail this spring, but much still remains to be done.

Tomichi Trail Riders Facebook page with notes and pictures:
    https://www.facebook.com/TomichiTrailRiders/

"The snow is melting. The trails are wet, and trees need cleared. Join us June 15th and 16th for trail clearing. Tomichi Creek Trading Post has cabins available for the weekend. Message us here for details and questions."

"Weekend update....
    Tomichi Creek Trading Post opens for breakfast at 7am on Saturday. Let’s all meet and fill our bellies before heading out at 10am. We will split up and tackle different trails. This is going to be an epic weekend!"

Tomichi Creek Trading Post Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/tomichicreektradingpost/

Call for reservations: 970-641-0674

Yon is busy, busy, so leave a message and he'll call you back.

A tidbit - lower Agate Creek is tank-deep, so don't plan to ride it until the runoff has decreased substantially in say August or September!

:ricky
  2. simple

simple noob this

Oddometer:
    Oh a trail clearing weekend!! I'm gonna have to join.
  3. CTJocko

CTJocko n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all of the updates!!!

We rode 65 miles of Sargents this past Sunday and it was a hoot. Lots of water coming down the trail and plenty of snowdrifts in the trees at higher elevations. Cleared plenty of trees in the areas we rode.

First creek crossing at the Baldy Lake TH (491)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second crossing wasn't bad
    [​IMG]

Clear up to Hick's Gulch (492). Decided to see how far up we could get on Baldy (491). Cleared several trees but the snow eventually got the best of us.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back-tracked down to Hick's Gulch (492) and continued on Dutchman Creek (490). We didn't go up 490 but continued on around to Needles Reservoir.

From Needles, we went up Right Hand (493) to Razor Creek. A lot of water on the trail in this area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More trees
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got denied by snow again just before the 486/487 junction and back-tracked the way we came. A warm day made water crossings a little deeper on the way back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    PYG RYDR and no2tracks like this.
  4. ramz

Oddometer:
    Outstanding!!!

C'mon in, the water's fine. :rofl

You guys rock.

5. Dudley Dowright

Dudley Dowright Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Next Door to Malcolm Smith in Nathrop CO.
    Ha,Ha,Ha
  6. ramz

Oddometer:
    Tincup Pass is closed at Poplar Gulch, the avalanche is 2 miles up from St. Elmo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the info Dudley.

no2tracks likes this.
  7. ramz

Oddometer:
    Marshall Pass Rd is open from both sides.

[​IMG]

Other areas still had lottsa snow.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. trailrider77

trailrider77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are there recommended places to tent camp around Sargents?
  9. ramz

Oddometer:
    Sargents is on hiway 50; you don't want to camp nearby, unless you stay at Tomichi Creek Trading Post campsites. The town of Sargents has private property lots and all the closeby fields are private ranches. But, the area is surrounded by the Gunnison National Forest, and you can literally tent camp anywhere that is not posted closed. Google is your friend; have a chat. "camping near sargents colorado"

PYG RYDR and trailrider77 like this.
  10. shotty_co

shotty_co Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did anyone try Otto Mears/Bonanza this weekend ?
  11. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Aside from my tourist shit there’s a bit of my Four Mile exploitation - all between Turtle Rock and the highway. Enjoy a look at the Dirt Bike and Brew Tour!

Buena Vista Colorado Four Mile OHV and Cottonwood Pass Camping
    michaelmy, dirtydoug and PYG RYDR like this.
  12. ramz

Oddometer:
    I took a little ride up Otto Mears this morning, from the Silver Creek side.

Wouldn't you know it - I encountered a down tree before I got to the snow. 14 inch or so.
    And I didn't have my chainsaw with me once again; just a banana :baldy
    [​IMG]

That snow is 15 feet high on the uphill side, and about 10 feet high on the right side.
    [​IMG]

Going back down. There's about 10 of these; easy enough for bikes.
    [​IMG]

Down on Silver Creek Rd I met the USFS trail crew, and advised them of the situation. They had a saw mounted on one of their bikes, but I didn't see any snow shovels...

After talking to Raymo about how far he came in from the south, and plotting it all on a map, I calculate that we are both looking at the same massive snow drift which is about 150 feet long.

Got snow shovels?

13. Raymo

Raymo n00b

Oddometer:
    I started today at the top of Poncha pass went over Clover Creek to the top of Otto Mears got to the other side of probable that same drift 0.4 North of the sign at the top of Otto Mears. That does mean that Clover Creek is rideable and logged over to Squirrel Creek.

Otto Mears rd .4 north of summit.jpg

This is the road from the top of Clover Creek rd to Round Mountain road to Round Mountain off of Top of Clover Creek..jpg

This is looking at Whale Hill from Mount Manitou East of Manitou looking at Whale hill .jpg

This is Round Mountain in the foreground from Mount Manitou

Antora peak from Mount Manitou.jpg
    I had to go to the different High points from the different roads running up from Squrriel creek as you can't get through the snow drifts up high to try to tie them together at the top.
  14. ramz

Oddometer:
    The latest on Otto Mears Toll Rd:

"Otto Mears is still snow blocked. Dudley, John, and I dug snow for a couple of hours today. The snow is about 50 feet long and one Dudley deep (about 5 feet 10 inches). We may go up next week and dig some more." BobbyD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That looks like 2-3 Dudley's deep right there!
    Don't squat, Dudley.

Kudos on you'uns.

dirtydoug and CTJocko like this.
  15. MaParkerColo

MaParkerColo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    C56D3600-8C87-4D75-990B-96EE8A378B5E.jpeg Four mile looking towards the Collegiate peaks. Conditions are great, dry but not dusty yet, a bit sandy wher it always is.

First trip with all three boys this year. First time for the sixteen year old on his adult bike - XR250R. I seemed to have subconsciously had an XR obsession for the boys. XR 50, XR70, XR100 and XR250!
    CPAT, PYG RYDR and dirtydoug like this.
  16. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
    where is "four mile"?
  17. ramz

Oddometer:
    The Fourmile Travel Management Area is east and southeast of Buena Vista and north of Salida.

https://garna.org/friends-of-fourmile/

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/psicc/recarea/?recid=21414

[​IMG]

The area consists of 4wd and dirt roads, plus designated ATV routes. There is only 1 single-track trail in the entire area.

Because of it's size and variety of routes, you will not be able to find the small 4-hour set of routes that you would enjoy the most. You need at least a whole day or two to ride it all.

See also:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/buena-vista-salida-overnight-loop-off-road.1331997/

NMTrailboss, James Adams and grizzzly like this.
  18. MaParkerColo

MaParkerColo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    E6243617-8039-41FB-A436-46D944F7A008.jpeg
    Thanks Ramz, yep lots of two track that is great for little bikes, my youngest is still on a TTR50. But enough <50” trails to challenge them too. Several of the water crossings east of BV/north of 285 were quite deep for the small bikes. Drowned an XR70 as the intake was actually lower than the TTR (no air box). Dad got to demonstrate how to pump the water out of a bike...that reminds me better change to oil and re-clean and oil the air filter!
    symplectic and Assfault like this.
  19. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Here’s a little look at Hartman Rocks. Typical stuff, I make stupid comments, ride erratically, and survive the mother of all hail storms on an exposed mountain top!

Hartman Rocks The Colorado Dirt Bike and Brew Tour

We’ve been in country for almost 4 weeks and really feel it starting to heat up. Had our first blazing day since we left Florida riding Mars in Peach Valley. Mrs.Manfu has issued the request to move back to the cool crisp air of the mountains- I’m not in disagreement!
    no2tracks and Mikemm like this.
  20. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alder Creek/890 is open.
    James Adams likes this.