Buena Vista, Salida, Bonanza, Sargents info '19

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by ramz, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Hankus

Hankus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Colemanfu,
    Thanks for the vids. I’ve only ridden Hartmann on MTBs and never saw a single moto out of several trips. Is all of it open to motos? I’m headed out in a few weeks and will ride there and up near CB. Did you ride anything up there?
  2. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is Canyon Creek open all the way to the top?? That goes over 12500 ft and nothing else seems to be open that high!
  3. CTJocko

CTJocko n00b

Oddometer:
    Tank 7 Tr 480 - unknown.
    Upper Razor Spur Tr 487.1A - unknown.

These are both open.
  4. no2tracks

no2tracks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Canyon is open from the bottom up to the top of Horseshoe, which is open too. Probably NOT open over Granite Mtn to Tomichi pass as that part probably has huge drifts still on its north facing aspects.. There were some small drifts to bust to open Canyon and Horseshoe this past weekend which have south facing aspects.
    S Quartz will probably still have huge drifts up top of it also.
  5. symplectic

symplectic Piled high and deep

Oddometer:
    I'm not that dude, but here's a map of Hartman Rocks. Blue tracks are moto legal, so almost all of the singletracks are legal. Most of the stuff near the main parking lot is MTB only.
    Hankus and Colemanfu like this.
  6. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Only about 10% is closed to motos. The super skinny stuff or crazy technical stuff. Also saw a few non moto signs at the flowing stuff along Kill Hill. I really enjoy the total camp/ride package. Good for 2 days for what I do. Ride for an hour or 2 back to camp for a bit and back out again and do that 3-4 times in a day.
    Hankus likes this.
  7. trailrider77

trailrider77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where is the best place to camp at Hartman Rocks?
  8. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Depends. Ya bike camp, tent, 4x4, glamping van, 5th wheel, RV.......

Best advise is to head out there and sniff around. We saw some nice spots at the far entrance with shade. A 4x4 or truck will get ya to some sweet spots. We like the top of Kill Hill right at the start of Tail Pipe over looking town. Love climbing around on all the big rocks when hanging around camp.

IMG_8060.jpg

IMG_8049.jpg

IMG_8086.jpg

Attached Files:

9. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Summit Tr / CDT

[​IMG]

:ricky
    Johno33772 likes this.
  10. ramz

Oddometer:
    Scout Crest Tr - about 1.4 miles in from the north end of the Crest Trail (Monarch Pass).

The hill climb just beyond was snow covered; not gonna do it.
    Try again on Friday, just to see how much will melt in 2 days.

[​IMG]

no2tracks, PYG RYDR and Hankus like this.
  11. Hankus

Hankus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you ramz.
    I look forward to reports about Monarch Crest.
  12. ramz

Oddometer:
    Remember to check the first page of this thread to see a summary. I don't always post a picture or comments when things change, but I do change the summary as soon as I get info (from many helpful riders).

jjustj, Assfault and PYG RYDR like this.
  13. shotty_co

shotty_co Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any new updates on Otto Mears ?
  14. James Adams

James Adams Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's open :thumb
    shotty_co likes this.
  15. ramz

Oddometer:
    Scout Crest Tr - about 2.4 miles in from the north end of the Crest Trail (Monarch Pass).

The snowbank is about 3-4 feet deep and about 100 feet or more wide. It covers about 20 feet of the trail.
    Not gonna try to ride through it - gonna wait it out for a few days.
    This is NOT the cornice..... see below.

[​IMG]

The trail beyond the snowbank looks great! :lol3

[​IMG]

Looking northwest. Not much snow to see.

[​IMG]

The cornice when riding in from the south at Marshall Pass on July 11. The dashed line is the Crest Trail.
    [​IMG]

Last year on May 28, 2018.
    [​IMG]

The 7/11/2019 cornice looks a bit taller over the trail than in the picture from last year. The cornice was about 20 feet high on the low side in this picture; quite a drop off if you were to try to ride over it. Some bicyclists did slide their bikes and bodies over the edge after it had melted quite a bit.

Looking at the dates and pictures, we're running about 6 weeks late this year.

The CCMR (local motorcycle club) is planning an attack in late July or early August. They might want to wait until September...... :yikes

Poodlelover151 posted this on that other web site:

"We met a big local group on Day two that were planning to do all of Monarch. They didn’t make it and sent me a pic of the snow. Holy smokes it’s gonna be a while!!!"

[​IMG]
    Picture was taken on July 13; today is the 20th. The snow is probably mostly melted by now. :imaposer

Here's the cornice on June 9, 2012:
    [​IMG]

PYG RYDR likes this.
  16. ramz

Oddometer:
    Summit Tr/CDT between Marshall Pass and Windy Peak on 7/11/19.

[​IMG]

You can ride around, but ride lightly. See the tracks.

UPDATE

I rode up to the avalanche on the Summit Tr/CDT this morning (Sat 7/13) with a chainsaw, prepared to do my Paul Bunion act, and was greeted by two Colorado Trail Foundation volunteers. They had begun their day at 6:40am and had finished all the work by the time I arrived at 11:30am.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Done and Done. I thanked them profusely on behalf of everyone who uses the trail. They were very nice people, from Denver, no less. NTTIAWWT

So enjoy the trail.

PS Yeah, that is a Silky BIGBOY 2000 he's holding. They did it all by hand; no chainsaw for these volunteers!

RLK, katbeanz, Raymo and 2 others like this.
  17. BMW/5

BMW/5 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello all, I have a request for trails near BV. My work (a brewery in Denver) is putting together a camping weekend August 2-3 and I have been put in charge of coming up with and "ADV" ride for people of various levels. What would be a good all around route for riders of various skill levels (bikes would probably be a Tiger, DR650, a Himilayan and...) around there for a 4-6 hour day? We are going to be based out of Collegiate Peaks campground that weekend and I know the pass is closed to Taylor. I thought about Weston Pass from the west but wouldn't have a route planned for the way back. Any thoughts? And of course if anyone is around BV that weekend you are more than welcome to join!

Thanks, Mike
  18. ramz

Oddometer:
    See post #57 on page 3.

19. BMW/5

BMW/5 n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thank you ramz!
  20. zoltan

zoltan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd be grateful for info on some Rainbow Tr. h2o crossings. In the next few days we plan to stage out of Bear Cr. for a day ride. I rode in the area a few springs ago and recall some decent crossings on the RT if you go left off of BC. Just wondering if these are now Class V or manageable?

Also curious about the lower crossings on Agate. Those were also fairly spicy a few springs ago.