Buena Vista, Salida, Bonanza, Sargents info '19

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by ramz, Apr 22, 2019.

1. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Found one more:

[​IMG]

:ricky
  2. trailrider77

trailrider77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like we are changing plans to ride Taylor Park instead of Sargents. We have 2-3 days to ride. Was wondering if the American Flag trail can be done in a day and if so what’s the recommended departure time from the Trading Post? Was going to see if we can also get to the Bear Creek trail along the way. Day 2 looking at riding Lilly Pond and the Doctor Park trail. May venture onto the TimberLine trail day 3. Never been before but have read about them for yrs. Will be riding a 2018 KTM 250 XC with a SmartCarb 2. Stock gas tank. Wonder if an extra liter of fuel should be carried?
  3. ramz

Oddometer:
    trailrider77 likes this.
  4. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found it very practical to carry extra fuel via MSR 30-ounce fuel bottles. Each bottle adds 10 miles to my range. I carry two bottles in Mosko 2-liter sling bags, and up to 3 bottles in an Osprey Manta 25 hydration pack. With the five bottles I have 3-1/2 gallons of total fuel capacity (Beta stock 2-gallon tank). If I dump the MSR bottles in earlier in the ride the weight's all on the tank.
    wbbnm likes this.
  5. ramz

Oddometer:
    The 'Little Cornice' is finished. Thursday, July 25.

The first 2 customers were 'bikers'...
    [​IMG]

I tried to collect a 'toll', but all I got was a beautiful smile :bluduh
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

View of the 'BIG Cornice' from the top. Not too impressive from up here.
    [​IMG]

When I walked down closer, it showed it's bulk. Camera angle was wrong from above.

jimco,
    We did not dig out any motorcyclists, but I distinctly remember seeing an evergreen bush or small tree and possibly the leg of a hiker. Further melt-out may reveal other surprises.

6. jimco

jimco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you have any help digging, motorcyclists or others?

Jim
  7. ramz

Oddometer:
    Hooray, the Cornice is broken!

Chad, Joel, and a few other hearty souls attacked the mighty block of snow and ice, and it withered before their combined effort.
    The cornice is broken; long live the trail!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On behalf of all Crest Trail users, I thank you for your successful efforts.
    We have our trail back again.

Until next spring.... :bluduh

PYG RYDR, motobene, L21 and 5 others like this.
  8. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    I had people to do and places to see :deal
    Merfman likes this.
  9. snowmark

snowmark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Coal Creek Canyon Colorado/Longmont/Youngstown,OH
    rode Sargents 29/30....trails are in great shape, thanks to those that did the work, it looks like it was quite a job with so many logs cut and removed from the trail.

Attached Files:

CPAT and PYG RYDR like this.
  10. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hancock Pass?? Gunnison FS office says that it's open. Has anybody been there?
  11. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Answering my own question. Bushducks says that it's open.
  12. James Adams

James Adams Grizzly User Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod I rode it on Aug 3. No snow to deal with, just the usual rocks.

IMG_20190803_142208.jpg

Note that the route between Hancock Pass and Tomichi Pass is [still] closed indefinitely, so you'll end up routed down towards Pitkin.
    motobene and PYG RYDR like this.
  13. motobene

Oddometer:
    My son and I thoroughly enjoyed our early August Colorado ride near Sargents! Lost my NatGeo map in the first half hour, so I was freaked out only having tracks on the GPS to follow. I just don't feel comfortable in new territory without a good map. But it worked out.
    AA.JPG
    AB.JPG

I was concerned before leaving about finding dispersed camping spots suitable for the Casita, so I perused Google Maps for likely spots. Scored we did with two nights just above Sargents on Long Branch 'Avenue' up and in a nook over the first hill. Avenue... that's funny because creeping in 4-wheel drive low BARELY scraped the Casita up and over the rocks many water-check berms to shoe-horn into a beautiful spot!
    AC.JPG

Night 3 we drove a long way up Marshall Pass Road (gravel). Scored the only private spot off the road not taken, about a mile shy of the Pass on the right. Had to back the Casita up this narrow road about 100 yards to where there used to be a cabin and there is now a thoroughly blocked old logging road.

As for the riding, it was great! Our best fun was the area between where we camped and the CDT on the mountain tops, and our ride along the Colorado Trail up high going south from Marshall pass.

Here's a video of some of that, my son on the KLX 330 in front of my on my Beta 390:

https://photos.smugmug.com/1908-Colorado-Ride-Trip/i-dTz3db8/0/1bf58295/1280/GOPR0144-1280.mp4

Look at all that beetle-killed fir in the video from the last batch of drought years!

Alas, I boo boo'd seriously crossing the river to do the Horse Camp loop from Sargents. It's a long story, but I basically completely drowned myself and the Beta sliding back into a 5 foot deep outside curve in the river! Thought I had ruined the new bike (hydro locked), and my phone, and my pride. I was THAT GUY at that moment by pulling an impulsive squid move... in the wrong gear to launch over the deepest spot. Wish I had had the GoPro on for that one! Silly to risk this when 30 feet to the left it was was only over the boots deep....
    katbeanz, beaterktm, ramz and 2 others like this.
  14. motobene

Oddometer:
    Regarding those who work trails, thank you! I was really amazed at how many trails were obviously cut open from dead fall, maintained, worked on.

I was surprised at the number of trail water checks, however. Must have been a ton a work to put those in! Some government requirement? Stand up sit down stand up sit down.... Kind of fun... most of the time.

The mound-then-deep-ditch water checks on the gravel roads got irritating pulling the Casita. Speed up, slow down, speed up slow down. Arrgh! That trend for road drainage I don't care for. Marshall Pass Road on the Sargent side has a ton of them, while the continuation, FR 200 going down the other side, doesn't have any of them. And it drains off just fine.
  15. motobene

Oddometer:
    I hope you all find this... entertaining.
    Following Mystery Tracks.JPG
    Doesn't look like much from the camera angle, but that easy-looking launch berm also hid a direct view of a deep channel. No surface ripples should have given me a clue. But I'm old and was tired that morning. My IQ is also about half until about 10 am because I'm not a 'morning person.' We got out fresh and early.

I didn't bother to walk another 50 feet to actually stand on the launch point. By the time I got too close to stop it was "oh shiiit!" and I wrung out 1st gear hard, getting 10 feet but not the 12 feet I needed to just land the shallower half of this stream (or is that a river?). I landed instead on the edge of that under water channel, back wheel in 3 feet of water, lost traction, and slid backward into the depths. I went down to my nose and the bike went under sideways and disappeared.

It wasn't pretty, and it took me a huge effort to extricate bike and me to stand heaving air with the bike pulled sideways, still above the axles. When I caught my breath I cursed a blue streak.
  16. simple

simple noob this

Oddometer:
    That crossing has taken out many people and bikes.
  17. motobene

Oddometer:
    In general, or just those who fall for the sucker line? My son rode right across the alternate line.
  18. trailrider77

trailrider77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A bit further west but has anyone ridden down Black Bear Pass down to Telluride on a KTM 350/500? Was looking for any advise when tackling this trail and the “steps”. Thx
  19. motobene

Oddometer:
    I did some years back in a group. I had no idea where I was. All of a sudden, a big view down and these rock steps. Just rode them right down. High skill group. I had more trouble on the baby heads of Poughkipsie backwards when my then KLX330 wasn't running 100%.