Buena Vista, Salida, Bonanza, Sargents info '19

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by ramz, Apr 22, 2019.

1. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never got the stains out.... :yikes

[​IMG]

"OH OH"

:ricky
    Rossmoesis and PYG RYDR like this.
  2. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    More scary was having to pass the usual cluster of Jeeps or UTVs planted firmly in the way with the occupants admiring the view. We were more like flies zipping past elephants. Sometimes passing meant on the downside edge with a big drop off. Stay calm, breathe, don't look where you don't want to go... ah, OK, that went well.
    redrock88 likes this.
  3. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    There are 2 factors to consider here: The bike and the rider.

When I laid out the A/B/C matrix for the Moose Run, I recognized that a very skilled rider would be more capable on a big bike. I had a matrix that included bike size and skill level. People have ridden Black Bear on a GS1200, but that's not something I would be interested in doing.
  4. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only time I rode it was on my wr and fellow rider on a gs1200. He had ridden it earlier in the week as well, but I wanted to check it out. Killed my bike going down and endo braked with my rear tire off the ground the whole time. Yeah, definitely more mind game. There is a line on the left with no steps, but you are on the edge, not ready for that. Planning to hit imogene in a couple weeks this time.
    PYG RYDR likes this.
  5. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Canyon Creek is open all the way to Tomichi Pass rd.

Who would have to ride off the trail here?
    2019-08-27 12.25.55r.jpg
  6. motobene

Oddometer:
    That's a water trap, photo snapped in the dry. Note the soil blow-out in the center caused by those who splash right down the center of trails, even through standing water.
  7. James Adams

James Adams Grizzly User Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod

I rode that trail around the beginning of the month and that was a serious mudhole.
    motobene likes this.
  8. simple

simple noob this

Oddometer:
    20 bags of gravel would fix that spot
  9. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it's obvious that it was wet, what isn't obvious is why someone good enuf to ride canyon crk couldn't stay on the trail thru a puddle
  10. motobene

Oddometer:
    Use of 'morons' when there's a deeper story is what I object to.

One man's moron is another's genius. Like geniuses who don't blow out trails in the wet by splashing through every puddle, right down the middle of the trail. And as was pointed out, what looks now like nothing had a broad puddle in it not long ago.
  11. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check with any knowledgeable person who maintains trails, staying on the trail is always the best option. Trails don't get blown out by riding through a puddle.
    CPAT likes this.
  12. grizCP

grizCP RMTA

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know about the status of the Rainbow Trail in relation to the Decker fire? I was planning to ride out of Shirley site tomorrow heading south. Will this be a problem?
  13. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    It will not be a problem if you stay west of highway 285, on the 10 miles of the RBT there. There is much too much smoke east of highway 285, and I suspect there will be a 'trail closed' sign at the highway. You can give it a try, but I wouldn't be riding east of the highway...

DeckerFire1.jpg

DeckerFire2.jpg

DeckerFire3.jpg

Methodist Mtn, just west of the smoke, is clear. If you do ride east of the highway, you could bail at Sand Gulch or Methodist Mtn and PERHAPS be in the clear.

I rode in a fire near Los Alamos for about one minute before I realized that the smoke would reduce oxygen intake, and my mind would not be able to make the decision to get out. Needless to say, I turned around and high-tailed it to safety.

South to Bonanza will be clear... prevailing wind is always from the west. Well, almost always.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6592/

:ricky
    katbeanz likes this.
  14. grizCP

grizCP RMTA

Oddometer:
    Nice ride yesterday on west side of 285. A little hazy, but not too bad. FYI - for mtbs, there is a HUGE tree down on Starvation Creek trail, less than a mile from the top - careful if you're haulin' the mail.