1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Build a Bultaco TSS from scratch

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by blaine.hale, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Brian011952

Brian011952 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was sitting visiting with a couple of old friends I had not seen for quite a while in my old home town just before Christmas 2016. Their phone rang, and their adult son wanted to talk to me. Knowing I restore and build customs out of old motorcycles, he informed me he was looking at several old bikes in a garage sale. He asked if I'd like to come look at them. I said the only appropriate thing that I could and arrived with his Dad at the garage sale in just a few minute. There were two VERY ugly old bikes sitting there and a third mostly complete Honda. I was not interested in the Honda, but the two ugly ones were a BSA and a Bultaco. I looked em over, and decided to buy them. I made an offer, $300. It was accepted. I took a roached out BSA and an unknown Bultaco to my friends son's garage and left them there for a few days until I could return with my pickup.

Once I had retrieved them, and endured the wrath of my wife for buying yet "Another Motorcycle(s)," I ran the numbers on the Bulatco. Although it in no way resembles what it once was because someone tried to motocross it at some point, it is a TSS. I can see the places they removed the brackets to get rid of the rear set footpegs, removed the seat brackets, added Motocross style footpegs, and then completely changed the front end over to a Hodaka motocross bike front end. However, the numbers do not lie. I have the engine, I have the frame (needing some repairs), I have the exhaust, I have the fender, I have the rear shocks, and I have the rear fender. It's a place to start anyway. At least I have the correct numbers.

Now the BSA, it caught my attention first, and held it immediately. It was so roached out that I decided to make it what I envisioned a 1959 BSA Scrambler could have been. It just won the "Old English" award at The1moto Show in Portland this past weekend. I guess it is time to start on the Bultaco.
    spokester and norton73 like this.
  2. knudln

knudln Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pictures and model # on the Bul or it didn't happen.
  3. Ducatidavid

Ducatidavid n00b

Oddometer:
    OK guys,
    Here is my personal bit of Sickness. If you want to build a close replica of a TSS 350 you need to start with a Bandido or Montadero. The original Tss 350 looks to have been based on these models. Center port motor, double down tube frame, gear primary instead of chain, kick starter on the right. I put mine together with magnesium matzochi forks and CB 450 front brake modified Circle F pipe cobbled up rear sets and Evan Wilcox tank and seat. Too bad , no place to ride or race it on Maui. Has fresh pisto and rod, Scott Clough port job including barrel, cases with two extra transfer ports, brass skull cap in head. Mikuni 36mm.
    I'll try to include picture.
    DGW

Attached Files:

knudln likes this.
  4. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good advice, but that's all been said in this thread and I was starting with a Bandido.
    Unfortunately, I don't have that bike any more and have since moved on to 100 other projects :(
  5. spezjag

spezjag Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. MarcTss

MarcTss n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Bultaco TSS enthusiasts !

Got an engine here, where I am not sure if it is a 125 or a 250 TSS. The cylinder looks pretty much like the one above in that auction. It has a bore of 51.5mm.
    The engine no. starts with M_600..._6
    Got suggestions ??
  7. MarcTss

MarcTss n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok, found it myself. It is a 125 TSS water cooled one.. But it's got a pretty large carburettor on it: an Amal 389 GP 32'er..
  8. Brian011952

Oddometer:
    I am really happy I found this thread. A couple years ago, I picked up a Bultaco in a yard sale that looked pretty rough, but the price was right and it would turn over. I've yet to be able to identify it using the numbers, but I noted some oddities about it when I purchased it. First, the pegs were a cobbled up set held on with U-bolts. The seat was a pan tack welded to the frame. The front end was a Hodaka front end. The tank was odd. And it had a very nice "race" pipe with only a stinger, no silencer of any type. I began searching Bultaco sites and became curious if it was a Metralla or TSS. I returned to the shed where it is being stored and started looking for clues. The rear fender matches the early air cooled TSS 125. I found where the rearset hoops had been cut off the frame. I located the seat tab mounting places for the 125 TSS that had also been cut off, and I realized everything else matches with an early TSS 125 air cooled. I've looked at all the Bultaco number sequences and it does not fit into any of them? As of now, it is still sitting in the shed, but I'm convinced it is not a dirt frame originally, and that it was a rearset equipped race bike when built. Evidently some person wanted a dirt bike and modified it fitting the Hodaka front end. But, the frame, tank, rear fender, carburetor, and pipe all resemble the early TSS 125. So, eventually I'll get serious about identifying the bike and rebuilding it. For now though, I'll be following along and seeing what I can learn.
    dpforth likes this.
  9. knudln

knudln Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you post the serial #(s) and maybe a picture or two I'm sure we can identify it.
  10. Brian011952

Oddometer:
    I would love that. Eventually I will do that. Right now it is buried behind about four other bikes in the shed. It might be a bit before I dig it out.
  11. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum Supporter

Oddometer:
    Came down to revitalize the Sherpa T thread, since I'm getting mine going, and I saw this.

We all have stories about the one that got away: Back in 1999, I was just finishing a tour and looking at a 4 month layoff until my next one started. Pocket full of cash, I found a Metralla with 800 miles on it with the America kit NIB. The guy was asking $4K for it and, at the time, I made the one sensible IC-related choice I've made in my life and decided it was poor timing to spend $4K on a toy looking at 4 months of UI.

I only regret it a little bit, I used the money instead to get in my Motorhome and slowly meander home from Floriduh, taking in Sebring, a month on the beach at Cape San Blas, a couple of weeks with a buddy who moved to Asheville, a Keith Code Superbike school at Watkins Glen NY, the first F1 at Indy, and a week riding bikes and 4 Wheeling in Moab on my way home. Money well spent.

PS: 10 years ago I relieved a friend of all of his Ducati single related bits. I've just about finished restoring the '69 350 Scrambler and next up is a 250 Monza that I'm going to make into a period cafe racer like like Metralla/America kit.