1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Build a Bultaco TSS from scratch

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by blaine.hale, Feb 21, 2012.

1. facablade

facablade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Proud to be Spanish watching these images

Enviado desde mi GT-I9195 mediante Tapatalk
  2. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where was that when I wanted to build a TSS! I still have access to the motor, maybe. I gave the bits to a buddy who isn't working on them...so I could revive it in the future, maybe.
    As for your frame. You have a TSS. My dream. https://sites.google.com/site/bultacoalpinarestoration/home/bultaco-numbers-index
    Being a double downtube frame, like that, limits it to only a hand full of models. Bandido, Montedero, TSS and maybe 1 more I'm missing. Those were the only center port exhaust tacos.
    I wish I had your rolling chassis when I had this going..I would have completed my dream.
  3. knudln

knudln Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will want to communicate with Don McCollough about your model 6 TSS. He is the encyclopedia of TSS. You can find him on the Yahoo TSS forum or on the BOF (Delphi Bultaco Owners Forum). I'm sure he'd be very happy to know about your find and can give you its history.
  4. Bullnut

Bullnut n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks knudln, will try yahoo forum and see how it goes
    Thanks Blaine, appreciate the info
  5. facablade

facablade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have ridden in my youth Bronco, Lobito, Alpine, Sherpa now I'd like to have some of them to restore and remember those days

Enviado desde mi GT-I9195 mediante Tapatalk
  6. Bullnut

Bullnut n00b

Oddometer:
    Knudln, got onto the TSS yahoo group, they have let me know what I have got. 1967 model 41 250cc D-6, appreciate the help, thanks Terry
  7. knudln

knudln Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw that Don replied to you, are you planning a restoration? Don has quite a stable of restored TSS's and I'm sure he and the other members of the TSS group would be a good resource for you if so.
  8. Bullnut

Bullnut n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes, restoring it, finding a period correct motor will be a long term goal, will fit a pursang for the interim, many thanks for your help, Terry.
  9. knudln

knudln Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Pursang motors are side port with a very different mounting arrangement, it would be quite a trick to mount it up to a dual downtube watercooled TSS frame such as yours.
  10. Bullnut

Bullnut n00b

Oddometer:
    True, getting onto a centre port seems like finding rocking horse droppings, I can mount the pursang without cutting the frame just need to make mounts that bolt onto the existing brackets. Bandito or Montadero would be better or maybe one day a TSS will surface. Thanks for the help, Terry.
  11. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had two bandido motors that I gave away. Should have kept them. I just couldn't ever Source the TSS setup to put them in.
  12. Bullnut

Bullnut n00b

Oddometer:
    Blaine, story of my life, always late for everything. Hopefully some thing will show up down the track, thanks Terry.
  13. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summer: Kemiƶ, Finland; Winter: North Germany
    I' am mostly interested in Bultacos that are ridden off-road and their in particular their trials models ... But you might too look a book named:
    "Bultaco: A Passion for the Sport" from Francisco Herreras,

It's a great book with f.e. all the serial number of all models with production dates and technic data written up, I might have the time to look up,
    but so near x-mas very occupied with other stuff.

The book was published in Spanish, then German and later too in English, (a bit over 2000 I believe), great resource.
  14. Bullnut

Bullnut n00b

Oddometer:
    PS, I have found out the bike is a model 41 TSS 250cc water cooled 1967 built around November 14th. I also have a couple of off road Bultacos, MX, trials and enduro. Always wanted to get a road bike but didn't think it would be a TSS. I have seen the book on eBay but never bought a copy, I now think I will have to get one, thanks for your help Terry.
  15. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had to order my English language copy of Passion For The Sport from the U.K., but it was worth the hassle and shipping cost. Great resource every Bultaco nut should invest in.
  16. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, as luck would have it, I may be getting a bandido back. Thread to be continued?
    I will need a place that can re-sleeve a bandido top end, though. I've heard maybe LA sleeves? Is there something closer to Atlanta, maybe?
  17. knudln

knudln Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe I still have a sleeve and/or complete cylinder if you're interested, or any other engine parts for that matter.
  18. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll hit you up pretty soon. Buddy is dropping it off tomorrow.
  19. Bullnut

Bullnut n00b

Oddometer:
    Was lucky enough to pick up a correct bottom end, radiator, temp gauge, exhaust pipe and bits, all new unused. Only need a watercooled head barrel and piston to get this bike together, getting excited.
    image.jpg

Attached Files:

norton73, gavo, Boxa and 1 other person like this.
  20. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    I just came across this thread while looking for Bultaco steering head angles, 1975 Alpina and Metralla in particular. Anyone know what they are?
    I'm not adventurous enough to try to build a TSS but was trying for a cafe racer as i only had the frame, engine and carby which was a mikuni.
    so far collected and laced 17" alloy rims with a new Grimeca front brake, electronic ignition for twin plug and lights from Germany, tank and seat unit from Airtech, USA, twin plug head from flea bay and assorted Magura controls.
    I was thinking of modifying the frame, although a metralla frame would be good they are very hard to come by and comparing frames from photo's is not real good so rake and trail plus steering head angle would be good to know.
    Can anyone help?