Building a 1981 Yamaha YZ465 Factory Replica...

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by FJ_Kevin, Mar 11, 2012.

1. FJ_Kevin

FJ_Kevin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So #222 gapped me off the table but I was able to catch up after the "open" back section, still in 2nd and exactly where I want to be.

Here we have caught #383, one of the youngsters from the modern bike class that left sometime before us. You can see how enthralled the spectators are at the level of competition they are witnessing. :lol3

[​IMG]

Still taking it easy here and tagging along with my friend on 222. Just a couple of country gentleman on a nice Sunday ride.

[​IMG]

Even so, we still had to get around this squirrelly kid on the green bike before the tight woods. Racer 222 grabbed the inside so I had to go outside.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 490 was running great and I was having plenty of fun wheelie-ing the thing around :D
  2. wfopete

wfopete Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer:
    Dang Kevin, that Honda is a early 80's XR 250 or 350 (I have a '85 XR350)! You need to put a fork in this quick!
  3. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    Hey Kevin, Where is this race ? Looks like a ton of fun ! I am in NoVa.
  4. Michael N.

Michael N. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    465_Ajka_.jpg

Testing the machine....
    Had a nice Sunday testing the different forks (one with RaceTec Emulators and one with a cartridge from Mugen)
    The Race Tec Emulators need time to dial them in, the suggested preload is (for me) way to soft.

I ended up with 6 turns from zero preload and 15wt Castrol oil in the forks. Oil level is currently 13cm from the top.
    The springs are the Race Tec FRSP 3750 which are recommendet but could be stiffer.
    Spring Preload is 5mm. So there is still room for improvement.

The Mugen insert works very well, the adjustable compression (from the outside) is very good. here i will hve to work with the oil level a bit, the damping caracteristics are nice. The system works plush and ramps up at the end of stroke to a good amount of compression.

On the other hand i am not so happy with the rear shock setup at the moment.
    The Ohlins shock has not enouhg rebound damping, and the problem with fading damping performance is still here.
    The Shock has about 30 clicks of rebound damping, i am at 5 clicks from fully closed.

There is still work to do, the first race is at the beginning of April...

Cheers, Michael
    FJ_Kevin, tjzondrz, Brewtus and 2 others like this.
  5. RichK

RichK Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would you happen to know the gearbox crosses for the 1981 250H?

I have a 250G that I'd like to change to the "H" 5 speed. For me, the six speeds are fragile.

Thanks!
    Rich
  6. Michael N.

Michael N. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Look at the Fiche at Ronnies, the drive axle is the same for H and G model, also works in the 465 and the IT from 83 up.

http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/3r5-17421-00-00/axle-drive

So the gears should be interchangeable, i would go and try to find a working, good complete gear set including shift forks and drum.
    Should work, the crankcase didnĀ“t change:

http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/3r4-15121-02-00/crankcase-2-3r4-15121-01

Hope i am right and that helps...

Cheers, Michael
  7. Michael N.

Michael N. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    By the way.... I am looking for a vintage Yam riding gear, propably someonr has something left which is not needed? :)

Size large jersey and 34 pant would be great.

Feel free to offer me what you have.

Thank you, Michael
  8. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Hi Pete... sorry for my slow response. Seems like I move from one catastrophe to another as of late. Happily, things are back on track now.

But yeah, I would say that by the half way point it was more like a friendly trail ride than a competition . And honestly I think the fork would be in me if I were to try to race anything full bore for an hour :dunno !

But even if I was saving it up for the over powering final lap dash to victory, I would never make it that far. Not long after that last set of photos I stalled the motor in a tight set of woods. No big deal of course but when I looked down to restart this is what I saw,

[​IMG]

That's right, my kick starter had fallen off somewhere along the trails :doh . I was in a bad spot too. No way to push the blue beast fast enough jump start. Tried once (that was tough) but the dirt was too loose and the rear wheel would only skid and not turn over. Didn't risk a second time as I didn't have my heart defibrillator with me :eekers. Took me about 45 minutes to push it out of the woods!

So that was it I'm afraid, another DNF :permazot! Still had fun though and glad to have made it back in once piece.

Ha, but I'm not giving up yet... just wait till next year :lol3!

[​IMG]

DNF Kevin
    tjzondrz, GR0NK and Michael N. like this.
  9. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    That is a cool looking track there Michael and it looks like you are hauling the mail! You will have to let us know how that April race works out, good luck!
  10. wfopete

wfopete Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer:
    Now is the time for all big bore YZ/IT fans to unite and come to the aid and comfort of thier brethren!
  11. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Sorry to take so long to respond woods wizard. The Johnny B race is in New Winsor MD very close to Westminster. Great location and easy to get to. It is put on by the Potomac Vintage Riders, a really terrific bunch. Very friendly and welcoming!

Here is a link to the 2016 cross country schedule. Most of the races are in PA but this one race in Maryland happens to be very close to me.

http://www.potomacvintageriders.com/cross-country/

Hope to see you there!
  12. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Thanks Pete... haha, yes, I need comfort for another DNF :2cry. The horror, the horror!
  13. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    Small world , I know some of those guys. Pete Delasandro.. big CZ guy or at least used to be.
  14. Michael N.

Michael N. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Kevin!
    Unfortunately the old lady sent me to the ground, resulting in a fractured wrist (just a part of the bone was seperated)
    I will miss the first or maybe the first and second race of the season :(

All went good, the bike pulls strong but the forks caused the crash. Accelerating out of a rutted berm the front suddenly was away, i think the fracture is not from hitting the ground, its from the bars which kicked back.

Atatched some pictures, i will upload a video of the track and also the crash as soon as i can. 465_Ajka_.jpg 465_Ajka_2.jpg 465_Ajka_3.jpg 465_Ajka_5.jpg

Cheers, Michael
    FJ_Kevin, tjzondrz, brucifer and 2 others like this.
  15. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:

Sorry about your injury. I bet you are a quick healer though! Nice photos!

My 490 threw me down pretty darn good last year. Found out I don't bounce like I used to... still haven fessed up on that one!
  16. Greco

Greco Braap!

Oddometer:
    I've been following this thread as I love the old Yamahas. Today I was at the local riding area with my son and we see this pristine '81 YZ465 and the guy on it was flat hauling! Not just really fast for an old bike, but holy sheet, that guy is flying! We loaded up and were driving out of the pits when we saw a guy with a completely customized RM370. We stopped and talked to the guy with the RM and asked about the guy on the 465. Turns out, the guy on the 465 was Arlo Englund! No way! The bike he was on was a restored YZ465 that Englund will race at Diamond Don's next weekend. After the races, the bike is going to be raffled off and the proceeds going to a childrens charity. We waited for about 15 minutes enjoying the smell of castor pre mix, but he just kept riding. We left without meeting him because we had a dinner this afternoon to go to with my wife. I hope he comes back some time. He was a hero of mine growing up.
  17. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:

That's really cool. I remember seeing photos of him in magazines. What part of the country was this in? Are you going to Diamond Don's? Your story reminds me very much of when I saw Guy Cooper riding at Unadilla a few years back. I think he was about 51 at the time and riding the wheels off this Bultaco like I have never seen before.

Thanks for sharing this... you gotta get Arlo's pic next time! :thumbup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    RCmoto likes this.
  18. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    My well ridden dirty beat up '80 YZ465. Sat for the past couple years. Fresh 40:1 premix. Lean it over 'til the carb overflows.4 or 5 kicks with the pipe plug in. :doh Take the plug out and 3 more and she pinged into life. Rode her for 15 minutes or so in the really wet and bumpy back field. Forgot how much of a beast she is. After not riding much off road for the past few years I resolve that will change this year. I love that bike. Like an old friend I haven't seen in years.

Even got a new photo.
    DSC_2404.JPG
    FJ_Kevin, tjzondrz and Michael N. like this.
  19. Greco

Greco Braap!

Oddometer:
    I didn't have my phone with me or I would have taken a couple shots and a video. Dude was haulin'! He was at Fountain Creek OHV park south of Colorado Springs. We are not heading to Diamond Don's. Wish I could, but my son and I are heading to the RMEC enduro in New Mexico that weekend. My boy is chasing points in 250B hoping to get his A card this season.

I did go on Diamond Don's website and I bought some raffle tickets for the bike. Maybe if I win, he will deliver it!
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  20. Baja Perro

Baja Perro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice bikes,boys! Mike from Austria, I love your jump photo! Totally rad
    I'm restoring my Dad's 86 YZ490 and hope to race it in the vintage class
    Thanks for posting all your photos and sharing your experiences! Keep em coming
    FJ_Kevin likes this.