1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Building a 1981 Yamaha YZ465 Factory Replica...

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by FJ_Kevin, Mar 11, 2012.

1. wfopete

wfopete Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer:
  2. Greco

Greco Braap!

Oddometer:
    Uni filter and No Toil sell filters with the cage....for more recent units. Nothing that old. Mostly new 4t's. I checked those ebay links and the 1983 is different than the 1984. The 1984 ad above does not include the cage that the filter wraps around and it does not include the bolt that holds it together. Those are not available from Yamaha anymore. Still looking..... I may run the pod filter if its wet next weekend. Shouldn't get clogged with dust if it rains all week.
  3. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uni sells filters with a cage for my old 1973 Yamaha CT3 that's why you got my response.
  4. Greco

Greco Braap!

Oddometer:
    I went through the Uni filter catalog and website with my dealer. No dice. Thank you for the idea. I also checked K&N. That comes as a rigid filter anyway. Nothing. I'm beginning to realize why I got the bike so cheap.

***EDIT*** Found it! I messaged the seller of the eBay filter box and asked him if he had the cage by chance. He did not, but he told me that the 490 filter cage crosses to the 250 of the same year. Same part #. Found a 250 cage in Canada of all places. Thanks to all for your help.
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  5. Kevin K

Kevin K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DB almost always gets credit as the smoothest rider ever. But I feel Broc doesn't get near the credit he deserves for racing a production based 490 against the trickest Works bikes built in the history of MX and beating them. RJ too
    FJ_Kevin and NDMX743 like this.
  6. buzzard111

buzzard111 n00b

Oddometer:
    hi guys. sorry to hi-jack a thread but it seems to me this would be a good place to ask. im working on an 82 yz490 engine and was wondering what year clutch covers are interchangeable. mine is cracked from when the kick starter broke. i was thinking even up to 1981 a yz250 cover might fit?
    also speaking about kick starters, i need a whole kick start assembly (shaft, spring, etc) so i was again wondering which years are interchangeable. thanks for any help.
  7. FJ_Kevin

FJ_Kevin Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yes, you can use 1980 and 1981 250 clutch covers. And any cover from a yz or it 465 or 490. you can also use the cover from the wr500 as it is a 490 motor. The later 490 covers have a steel bushing in the kick shaft bore whereas the early covers do not.

You can have the cover welded. it is magnesium but is weldable, I tig welded one of mine.

The kick start shaft assembly for the 465 is shared with the 250, a check of the part numbers will verify this. Around 1983 or so they went to a wider gear and that works too. I believe, but not certain, that that is when they went to the larger spline. In that case, you would also need the later kicker to match the larger spline. The kicker off my 81 465 will not work on my 83 490 as the splines are different.

BTW, the used 250 kicker parts generally have less wear than the 465 parts and ofter less money on ebay!

Hope this helps!
  8. buzzard111

buzzard111 n00b

Oddometer:
    I knew this was the right place :) thanks
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  9. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    There really hasn't been much work to do on the Yamaha front as of late so I thought I would give another quick update on this YZ490. After all, once finished you are supposed to ride them!

And I am happy to say it has been riding well. In fact, all of these Yamahas are going good.

The sorting is pretty much done on this one and I cant really think of anything left to do on it. The suspension feels good for now although truthfully my farm course is not all that rough yet and there are only a few places that really tax it.
    The 49/15=3.27 gearing I'm running gets it closer to the 44/14=3.14 that it would normally have given its IT490 motor. Next time though I may try a 15/46 as I think I may have a 46 in the stash.

Aside from the motorcycles, there has been some course work to do. I have extended the farms "long course" and have tried to take further advantage of the elevation changes on the property. A couple of the sections are more open and allow the 490 to run a little more. There is also a wooded section that I am trying to incorporate as I need to hone my woods riding skills. One day I would like to finish one of those cross country races.

The field grass is growing like crazy with the warmer weather so I find I have to run the mower through now and then just to keep the course marked. That would be less necessary if I just rode more but always a lot of chores to do (get yer work done boy, then you can play!).

Anyway, here are a few pictures from a couple of weeks ago. This 1st one is near the top of what I call Grand Prix Hill. There is a nice left hander at the bottom. You make the turn and then fly up the grassy slope full gas! The 490 has been leaving some nice trenches on the face of that hill. I'll also mention that the road in the background is often used by the PBS Motorweek show in their road tests. The film crew often sets up in our driveway. So if you watch that show, you have definitely seen them passing by our farm entrance.

[​IMG]

This next one is taken a few turns after coming out of the wooded section. We had some downed trees from the winter so had a fair amount of chain saw work to do to get things opened up again. Again, more work before the riding!

[​IMG]

This is part of a newly added loop. The picture shows some of the elevation change although the zoom lenses has compressed the image . In the background, beyond the fence, is a neighbors farm. The elderly owners are still very active although they are down to a single horse now for the grand daughter. The 81 year old gentleman was born in the farm house and still enjoys working hard and keeping busy. Real nice guy who has given me plenty of pointers around this old place. I've seen that 81 year old guy jump over one of those horse fences. Its been a pleasure to help them out whenever I can! His grand son has a small Yamaha dirt bike he rides around on.

[​IMG]

I know it looks more like a golf course than a motocross course but it was not always like this. These fields were massively overgrown when we first came on the scene!

[​IMG]

Hanging my head in shame after falling off! This is at the bottom of a hill after I stalled the motor trying to slow for a turn. Instead of restarting when I released the brake, the rear wheel just kept sliding in all that grass!

[​IMG]

Anyway, the big 490 is running great and basically feels like a brand new bike. So I hope everyone keeps cracking on their own machines as they are well worth the effort!

Hope you enjoyed this partial tour of the farm, plenty of work to do around that place!
  10. wfopete

Oddometer:
    Beautiful area Kevin! I just finished the "lower" course at my place and it's all wooded. Your open fields make me lust as my area is so tight I can't even get out of 3rd gear on my KTM. I tried to make the course as "fast" as possible with out cutting everything down and I had some access to a bunch of wood chips that makes for great berms to help keep my speed (and my bike) up through the corners...
  11. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Thank you Pete.

As you know there have been many times when I have felt like giving up on the place and often think back to when you said "don't give up on the farm". You may not remember but I sure do! Those positive comments are a real boost and much appreciated! It's taken quite awhile to bring things even partially back. We had a couple of fields that were continuously wet due to hidden spring heads and overgrown swales (haha, now there's a term I was unfamiliar with). I often felt like a depression era ditch digger trying to fix all this. I guess its been good exercise though.

We did manage to finally remedy the problem. The farmer next door says it has been 45 years since he's seen those couple of fields dry, not bad for a couple of city slickers.

Here is a photo of one of the wet overgrown fields when we took over to give you an idea of what it was like.

[​IMG]

I stuck the tractor and mowers in there many times trying to whittle away at this. I wound up cutting most of it with a propelled walk behind commercial mower as it was lighter and had less tendency to sink in the mud. My feet would be continuously wet causing my boots to fall apart. I began buying cheap used boots off ebay as I was going through them so quickly. There is a creek in there that I fell into also. Even caught the mower on fire several times from dry grass clippings under the exhaust, almost lost it a couple of times, all very hillbilly I can tell you!

Next is the same fields from a different perspective. All dry now. I mow with a big zero turn that cost me $8K. A lot of money but this mower saved me!

[​IMG]
    This was an active horse farm decades ago but then let go for many, many years. It actually has some interesting history and even has ties to the Baltimore Colts.

Now horses of a different kind roam there. But as you can see, these particular fields are flat and I rarely ride on them. The hilly parts of the farm are to the right and left of the fields in the photo, that's were the course's are.

We wont talk about the old farmhouse except to say that in the late 50's the girl who lived here had a birthday party inside the house with her pony in attendance (yes, pony inside the farmhouse). Actually much progress has been made on the house too.

Here is one with the girl and her pony taken sometime in the late 1950's. You can see there are far fewer trees than in the present day. Farmhouse and stables in the background.

[​IMG]

Anyway, my first iteration of the farm MX course was far too tight.

It is one thing to be making a plan while walking around but quite another when behind the bars of one of those open bikes. Those suckers do want to run! The other problem is the stumps left behind when taking even small trees down. They can really throw you off if you hit one unexpectedly. In the woods I try to pick a path of least tree removal but that usually means a very winding one.

But perhaps you do so well in those cross country races because your course is tight and replicates those types of events? Its good to have a mix I guess. I need to get in the woods a bit more, maybe then I'll finish one of those darn woods races.

BTW, been looking for some more RM 370 postings ... just saying. :-)
  12. wfopete

Oddometer:
    You may not realize it Kevin but a lot of people drooling all over thier keyboards right now dreaming of having a place like yours.
    brucifer likes this.
  13. NDMX743

NDMX743 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bikes, beautiful place!
  14. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kevin it's inappropriate to show off your wealth when we're all so poor. In fact decorum demands you invite us all over every month for riding.

:hide
    brucifer and JCool like this.
  15. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:

Hahahaha, oh dang, your are right I should not be so insensitive.

But yes, that is a great idea. And actually I have often thought about organizing a ride around the estate. It could be like the Farleigh Castle VMX event.

[​IMG]

I'll ask Carson and the staff to begin work on this immediately!

[​IMG]

As for Lady Mary... we'll put her in charge of course preparation!

[​IMG]

OK so maybe the we aren't quite up to the Downton Abbey standard but maybe that "anotherguy" has given us some possibilities to think about.

And we do have an Abby anyway.

Here is our Abby. We've had her for about a year now. She was a "problem dog" that a rescue had difficulty finding a home for. I don't know why as she has been no problem for us and loves the farm.

[​IMG]

OK, so now that I have admitted we are sub Downton Abbey I know the curious are probably wondering now what the place really looks like as I have generally avoided posting pictures of it.

And frankly, that's because its $ %&^ scary.

We think the original section dates to 1815 with a 2nd addition around 1850. There is also an ugly 3rd addition around 1970.

This 1st photo shows circa 1815 hand hewn logs behind two centuries of remodeling once again being exposed to the light of day.

[​IMG]

Next picture is same room as above but a year later. I cut through the logs to open the narrow passage to adjacent room (the circa 1850 addition) and installed double French doors. Logs had to be re-plumbed as things had shifted and they were never tied well when the previous pass through was made. Fortunately the house didn't fall down when I did this.

Adjacent room is about 80% redone, put new floors in there over the winter. Still have to install floors in the log room, most of the original log floor joists have been replaced. Furniture is being shuffled around as we work.

[​IMG]

This next photo is under one of the roofs. The roof rafters are small tree trunks that still have the bark on them. That's right, tree bark!

They are mitered where they meet, there is no ridge board. It has supported the snow for 200 years, sure hope it goes a few more.

[​IMG]

One of the 1st inside tasks was to restore the upstairs bedroom. The whole thing was stripped back to the studs.

The ceiling came was taken down to allow the severely sagging ceiling joists to be replaced. I had to get some carpenters to do that job. It then got new sheetrock and all new window trim replicating the original but missing wide trim. I wont show the before picture but it was truly awful.

Before the ceiling went back up, we woke one morning to find a big black snake resting on one of the ceiling joists. There are a lot of black snakes around here and I have found quite a few old skins in the basement and in other parts of the house as we renovate.

[​IMG]

That's a little bit of the inside, next is the outside. Just a primitive farmhouse, nothing grand here I'm afraid.

It currently has aluminum siding on it but that is all coming off to expose the wood clapboards underneath.

I just put those four new wood windows and the door in last fall (1st story, on right under porch) . The siding has already been removed in this area. Porch needs considerable work too but we wont talk about that :-).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There has been lots of progress but still a ways to go on our hillbilly estate.

In any case, it's getting real comfortable now. There is no air conditioning of course but we do have hot water again after I patched a leaking furnace pipe last week.

Meanwhile, I will be working on the 9N tomorrow. Hoping to convert this bad boy from 6 to 12V so I can pitch the old generator. This came with the farm but PO neglected everything.

[​IMG]

This isn't the Factory Replica Farmhouse thread so back to dirt bikes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    RCmoto, brucifer, dpforth and 2 others like this.
  17. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice place Kevin. Looks like........uhm northern Baltimore...maybe Harford county?
  18. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    We are in Northern Baltimore County in Upperco. Is this close to you? sounds like you know the area.

Maybe you can come visit us one day. Give us city slickers some advice on aggracultural matters!
  19. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Looks like it's haunted...:lol3
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  20. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm from Balwmer but currently reside in the Mountain State. Couple hour ride/drive. If you've questions you can PM me here and I'll do my best. However I'm not adverse to a ride out there.............when I finish putting the engine in the Tuono.........or the Harley..........or the ignition in the Yamaha. Been busy too.

BTW our 1952 Ford N8 is still 6 volt and does the job just fine. Starts after sitting weeks in the winter cold. Takes a little coaxing occasionally (read ether) but works well.
    FJ_Kevin likes this.