1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Building a 1981 Yamaha YZ465 Factory Replica...

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by FJ_Kevin, Mar 11, 2012.

1. FJ_Kevin

FJ_Kevin Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I had a few false starts too with this but finally got it going. Yes, I think the 6v is generally fine. In my case though the generator and battery were bad. I had a good 12 V battery around so it was actually more economical for me to convert to 12V. The kit was about $100. It turns out that the starter is tough enough to stand up to the 12V and did not have to be swapped. This seems to be common practice according to the various tractor sites and the kit instructions. It does turn a bit faster and I think it makes it start quicker.

The needle and seat in the old carb was also shot. New parts there did the trick. Wish it had a little more power though, it slows quite a bit pulling a bush hog up a hill. Especially when the field grass is long. This is a 9N maybe your 8N is stronger.

Didn't know you had a Harley. Let me know the next time your passing through!

Got my manure spreader going too. Who doesn't need one of them from time to time!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the gearing in the 9N as bad as the 8N? First gear is waaayyyy too tall. Makes plowing and other heavy load jobs difficult.
  3. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Seems so. The 9n is a 3 speed vs 4 on your 8n. I've done a little more reading and not so easy to get more power without hurting reliability. Maybe Ill get something a little newer one day.
  4. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a nice Kubota for sale up here at a decent price. You can probably add 5-600 for transport to get 'er home.
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  5. ozadvntr

ozadvntr Planning that trip, again

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    Looks like my previous photos are deleted.
    I was after advice on the best replacement side covers for my YZ465. Don't say DC, they don't fit. Any advice on Maeir?
    Any assistance appreciated.
  6. ozadvntr

ozadvntr Planning that trip, again

Oddometer:
    Broc Glover on the 465 at Green Park Conondale 2016
    [​IMG]
    dtysdalx2, ausfahrt, FJ_Kevin and 3 others like this.
  7. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello FJ_Kevin!! Well I loved all of what you posted! Really really cool. Its nice to see the passion of an old motocrosser come through here thats for sure. I could tell in the beginning and once you posted the pics of you back in the day I was right. We are alot older now and alot of time has gone by but the memories of those early glorious days of racing seem like they where just yesterday. I myself love my old moto pics and it always takes me back. My last race was in 1981 in the Kingdome in Seattle. Amatuer night and I got 12th out of 84 riders. The “”B” class was filled up with experts and I was only an immediate rider. Not only that but I was the only guy on a 79’ Maico 250! Haha!! Never forget it! Any how I see your passion for Bob Hannah...well I have a story on that. My buddy and I were there all weekend and we had the AMA PLASTIC pass holders but no pit pass. We rooted around in another pro riders (friend) van and found a JC PENNEY tire warranty paperwork. It happened to be the same color as AMA pit pass!! So we stuck the pieces in the pass holder and sure as shit walked right in the PRO pits inside the Kingdome!! I totally remember being nervious as hell as we stood 3 feet from BOB HANNAH!! Ahhh those crazy memories!! Thanks for all and CHEERS from Tacoma WA !!!!!
    FJ_Kevin and brucifer like this.
  8. motoinfo

motoinfo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bruce,
    I raced an '84 TT600 in the AHRMA Ultimate Four-Stroke class this year and it won the championship. Kept the motor stock except for a 6Sigma jet kit, some serious exhaust upgrades and airbox mods. But for the forks, bolted on a set of YZ490 forks with DLS brakes. Then had KB5 Suspension do their magic with damper mods and some Race Tech springs and emulator. Went with .43 springs but should have gone with .48, but it worked well :)
    Dale

Attached Files:

FJ_Kevin, brucifer and 996DL like this.
  9. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Thanks for chiming in.
    I have a complete '86 YZ490 disc brake front end attached to another TT600 roller I could bolt on but I just love the idea of keeping the stock stuff. I could probably cut some PVC pipe spacers (like was encouraged back in the day) and use heavier fork oil and be fine. I'm not too particular. Just need to be able to jump over 3-5' water bars without coming down and bottoming out like a sack of concrete. :lol3

Man, that is so cool you won the championship! :clap
    What other bikes were you racing against?
    FJ_Kevin likes this.
  10. motoinfo

motoinfo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    An odd lot...mostly other TT600s, TT500s, different XRs from 250 up to 500, and several hybrids (XR motor in Husky frame, that kind of stuff).
    brucifer likes this.
  11. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your note OldSchool ... sorry for my slow response but glad you have some enjoyment from this thread! They certainly were glory days, very fortunate to have had these experiences. Amazing too the life long friends made and the new ones still being made.

1981 was a great year and Id say you had a damn good ride in the race! And definitely a power deficit on that maico 250. Love the pit pass story, still have some old holders myself. Cheers back to you!
  12. FJ_Kevin

Oddometer:

Just catching up around here! Very nice bike Dale. I really like the alloy fuel tank. Maybe you can tell us more about that.
    Congratulations on winning the 4-stroke championship. Would love to see an "action" photo of the champion racing this bike.

thanks for posting!
    Kevin
  13. motoinfo

motoinfo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here ya go Kevin, this is Red Bud (great track, it and Unadilla are tops in my book). Yamaha TT600's in first and 2d place in Ultima Four-Stroke.
    Thanks again for the YZ465 jetting tips, will let you know how it turns out.

Attached Files:

FJ_Kevin and brucifer like this.
  14. wfopete

wfopete Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer:
    That looks like the corner just after LaRocco's Leap...
  15. shoom

shoom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was wondering if anyone can get me the frame dimensions from a yamaha HL500 ? I want to try and build my own . I would need the specific angles and locations of bolt holes and swingarm , headstay motor mounts etc... I've pulled off several projects like this and I don't think it is too ambitious. I can always have someone check my work and I can test the frame for strength by clamping it down and then putting long bars thru say the swingarm mount or headstock and putting big loads on them to test for 'beaming'
    I can find an engine alright .. I just dont think I would be able to come up with the 30k for a fully finished example ever unfortunately. I have always wanted a retro thumper but in a decent chassis.
    I have a couple of other engines like suzuki pe400s and DTs that could do with better chassis too, I am focussed on making this goal a reality and have already started ordering books on the subject
    cedric likes this.
  16. no r8e8ers

no r8e8ers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow. Finally made it thru all 29 pages! Very very cool thread. I have a frankenbike that I'm really fond of. It's an 03 yz 250f with an I.T 465 engine in it. That engine is incredible riding in the woods like I do. Love it. Lugs down and tractors like nothing I've ridden.
    This is from 4 years ago.

View attachment 1724395
    I stripped er down last year and powdercoated the frame and new parts and pieces..
    20171220_185225.jpg
    20171221_115600.jpg
    20180122_165342.jpg
    20180309_175646.jpg
    First ride after the "sprucing up."
    20180826_091221.jpg
  17. Grinder74

Grinder74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice build! Do you have a build thread somewhere?
  18. no r8e8ers

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
    I didn't do the build. I got it from one of my friends that bought it from the guy that did do it. He had a son that was racing it off-road. Then his son was killed in some accident, and so the guy sold it. My buddy had told me about it and I never thought much of it. One day he brought it out for a ride, and I thought it was pretty cool. Then later in the day, he was having a time getting out of a steep canyon, and plus he was tired of kicking it (he's older than me by 11 or 12 years) so he asked if I would ride it out. I got on and rode it out in about 5 minutes and I stopped and said, "this things awesome! How much you want for it?" I bugged him for a couple months until he finally gave it and sold it to me.
    After having the engine out (couple times) the swap doesn't look like it was too difficult. Although, I've been a metal man for 37 years, so.... Anyway, I think the toughest part was probably the pipe. The I.T comes out and exits on the left side. The pipe is butt-ugly, thus the alligator skin protector on it. Kinda hides it. I would love to have one of those custom cone pipes made for it, but, I wouldn't even know where to start. They're a bit pricey too, I bet. I'll be able to afford one soon. Maybe later this year. It's been a great bike. I have 2 motors and neither have the cracking around the kicker problem. I guess I'm luck there. And both were on stock bore. Unitl recently. The one in the bike I just had it punched 2 sizes to 86mm.

This is what it looked like 4 years ago when I first got it.

20150525_175255.jpg
    Mats and Grinder74 like this.
  19. Grinder74

Grinder74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 1989 490, I understand the starting issues. Just rebuilt the engine and trying to get the carb sorted. Last one I had was hard to start cold but one kick warm. I'm always looking for a modern chassis for a swap.
    no r8e8ers likes this.
  20. no r8e8ers

Oddometer:
    What kinda riding do you plan to do with a frankie if/when you do it? I don't that the yz 490 is very good for woods/single track. If you gonna ride more open/desert type stuff, it's probably good for that. Although, it can probably be made in into a good/ better trail motor. I'm not too schooled on that.

A few weeks ago we were riding out in the desert north of Reno. First time I had frankie out like that. I put a 15 tooth sprocket on the front and man o man. Some of those big hills, with that thing in 4th gear WFO...... that was beautiful music! :ricky

Then after I got home, I discovered that frame was cracked. On 3 sides, Yikes!!!! I promptly fixed er up. That's the first issue that I've had with the bike itself in 4 years. Usual issues have been mainly on the engine(s).
    20190511_082307.jpg
    20190519_135633.jpg